Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

The Ryugyong is incredible if you like ghoulishly arch and overbearing spectres on the skyline which symbolize the utterly corrupt nature of the state that created them, sure. I can't believe I'm about to type a defence of Aura, but it's far better than having a Ryugyong hovering over us. It's not a pretty building, but Aura can only improve from here on in as they move into the somewhat sensual curtain wall section up top.

Sorry to be off topic, but am I they only 14 year old here. And 1 other thing, thanks to you all for helping me learn about architecture. :)

^ You won't learn about architecture in this thread. Try the River City thread.

Sure he will, in the same way that bridge builders learn from the old Tacoma Narrows Bridge. In all reality I don't find the design of Aura all that bad, the execution on the other hand, leaves much to be desired.

HotStuff,

Here you'll learn about bad architecture. In the River City thread, you'll learn about good architecture.

(Is that better,sMT?)

HotStuff,

Here you'll learn about bad architecture. In the River City thread, you'll learn about good architecture.

(Is that better,sMT?)

I would have gone with mediocre but making architectural assessments is more in line with your profession than mine :p But with a very impressionable 14 year old forumer with a developing interest in this type of thing, it is always best to be clear.

Great shot from the Aura Webcam just now:

Vt2LQ.jpg

Aura is far from amazing, but I think that it needs to be seen complete. A common refrain here, yes, but still--here I think it rings true. See how this thing ties together when the upper, alternately-designed half gets going.

The tower is o.k. but the base is atrocious. It's so banal, and they really screwed up the corner on Gerrard and Yonge. I place the blame at Toronto city council because they were more concerned about height and setbacks than good design... Toronto planning priorities are out of whack IMO. [/end rant]

But this project went through the Design Review Panel or whatever it's called...and IIRC people were happy with the changes to the podium at the time.

IMO it's the spandrel that ruins this building. I'm sure the developer saved a good deal of money using this wall system, but the building looks terrible.

I'm not so sure it's the design at fault here, so much as the materials used and the uninspiring retail contribution. Good news is, these things 'could' be mediated at some point. In the meantime it is much better than what was there before.

Back