Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I think the place is fine. I go here regularly and I could definitely envision it as a pacific mall-esque environment. Kaiju is a hidden gem for the really good and authentic Japanese curry in Toronto, yet the owners are Korean I believe!

There also the unnamed streetwear store that draws huge crowds of young people. They have a Yeezy vending machine ($5 each try). I assume some of the older readers here won't understand what I just said, haha. But trust... It's cool for young people.

Maybe this will eventually turn into an underground cheap eats, knockoffs, stoner and hipster hangout Kensington Market/Demolition Man sort of underground city.
I was thinking this as well, might take some time but could one day be a pretty neat little bohemian market place.

Wasn't there supposed to be a screen put up on the south east corner of this building? Anyone have any idea what they are waiting for?

Wasn't there supposed to be a screen put up on the south east corner of this building? Anyone have any idea what they are waiting for?

For people not to remember it is part of the plan anymore? In any event, that corner like everything else is poorly handled.

AoD

Chungking Mansions is a rather extreme and infamous example for Hong Kong. Some more neutral shopping centres that have a high concentration of specified market base are Sin Tat Plaza (cellphones) and Trendy Zone (fashion accessories), both in the Mongkok area.

Indeed (most of the locals were always circumspect - it is only "exotic" for tourists). Said it before - Toronto in general doesn't know how to build malls underneath towers - this is only the most egregious example of that reality.

AoD

I think the place is fine. I go here regularly and I could definitely envision it as a pacific mall-esque environment. Kaiju is a hidden gem for the really good and authentic Japanese curry in Toronto, yet the owners are Korean I believe!

They're actually Malaysian Chinese =p

Back in the early days when nothing had moved in, the first time I walked into the basement, my first thought was "Man, this looks like a mall from Asia" and I didn't think it would translate well.

The last thing any condo resident/investor would want is for any part of the building turning into Chungking Mansions.

AoD

Chungking Mansions is a rather extreme and infamous example for Hong Kong. Some more neutral shopping centres that have a high concentration of specified market base are Sin Tat Plaza (cellphones) and Trendy Zone (fashion accessories), both in the Mongkok area.

Indeed (most of the locals were always circumspect - it is only "exotic" for tourists). Said it before - Toronto in general doesn't know how to build malls underneath towers - this is only the most egregious example of that reality.

AoD

Not really the place to get into this in depth, but the vitality which helped Chungking along stemmed not from native Hong Kongers or even curious tourists patronizing its shops, but from its role as a hub for small-scale trade to South Asian and African countries. If interested, this book by Gordon Mathews is an excellent and fascinating resource. Highly, highly recommended:

https://www.amazon.ca/Ghetto-Center-World-Chungking-Mansions/dp/0226510204

Since we don't often export cheap cell phones to Eritrea however, I don't see the mall at Aura filling a Chungking-like role.

Not really the place to get into this in depth, but the vitality which helped Chungking along stemmed not from native Hong Kongers or even curious tourists patronizing its shops, but from its role as a hub for small-scale trade to South Asian and African countries. If interested, this book by Gordon Mathews is an excellent and fascinating resource. Highly, highly recommended:

https://www.amazon.ca/Ghetto-Center-World-Chungking-Mansions/dp/0226510204

Since we don't often export cheap cell phones to Eritrea however, I don't see the mall at Aura filling a Chungking-like role.

I don't see that in the cards for Aura either, but not because we don't have niche import/export operations among immigrant communities in Toronto. Immigrant communities have already found the low-cost retail spaces they need for their import/export operations in the strip malls and industrial parks of Scarborough, Mississauga, and Markham. They've located their businesses in or near their communities.

Back