Toronto Art Shoppe Condos | 98.75m | 28s | Freed | a—A

This area needs a lot more office use (I'm not saying there is demand ... just that it should be encouraged), I wish the bottom portion (i.e. 5 / 10 stories) could be commercial.

Love it! The arrangement of glass cubes creates quite the striking profile.

This area needs a lot more office use (I'm not saying there is demand ... just that it should be encouraged), I wish the bottom portion (i.e. 5 / 10 stories) could be commercial.

There should be plenty of office and other commercial space in the future development of ttc lands.

I think you will see a bit of a revival of the office market in 2019 or 2020 after the ECLRT is complete. Right now this area offers no more incentive for office space than anywhere else on the Yonge line, but the ECLRT will change that by adding a larger regional connector to this location.

I think you will see a bit of a revival of the office market in 2019 or 2020 after the ECLRT is complete. Right now this area offers no more incentive for office space than anywhere else on the Yonge line, but the ECLRT will change that by adding a larger regional connector to this location.

I think the arterial connection of Eglinton, one of Toronto's longest and busiest thoroughfares, gives it much more incentive than most stops on the Yonge line, north of Bloor. I can think of several stations with less significance on the Yonge line, most of which don't have large bus terminals, malls or office buildings above them. I will agree with you on the benefits the ECLTR will bring, but to say the area has less incentive for office space than anywhere else on the Yonge line just seems like an exaggeration to me, if not outright incorrect.

meh not sure, the by 2020, the line will only be connected to Jane to the west, arguably not much in terms of regional transportation.

I think Y&E will always be a cheaper version of Y&B in terms of office space, and the demand has never been that high of course (no new office space in years), very similar story for Yonge and St. Clair.

Random thought, Yonge and St. Clair really has some beautiful architecture you won't see anywhere else in the GTA ! I'm referring to some of the offices and residential buildings in the area. Many people don't even know the area exists !

Last edited:
I think the arterial connection of Eglinton, one of Toronto's longest and busiest thoroughfares, gives it much more incentive than most stops on the Yonge line, north of Bloor. I can think of several stations with less significance on the Yonge line, most of which don't have large bus terminals, malls or office buildings above them. I will agree with you on the benefits the ECLTR will bring, but to say the area has less incentive for office space than anywhere else on the Yonge line just seems like an exaggeration to me, if not outright incorrect.
When you look at it in terms of "easy" transportation access, Y&E is one of the worst stations on the Yonge line.

Finch/NYC/Sheppard/York Mills are within a few minutes drive of the 401.
Summerhill down to College are within a 2 station transfer from the Bloor line, with the DVP quite accessible, thanks to Rosedale Valley Rd.
Dundas to Union are within 3 stations of Union and very close to the Gardiner.

Eglinton is the furthest station from any highway, and is thus most dependant on transit access, for which it is little better than the more northerly stations.
The main feature that Y&E has over many other Yonge stations is relatively friendly zoning. There aren't as many single detached homes constraining development of office space.
Once the LRT goes in, there will likely be an office boom, as the increased access and higher quality ride makes the area more palatable to the choice rider clientele. The area will have similar access from the east and west as Y&B, and commute times will be very competitive for those coming in from Scarborough and north Etobicoke.

Then again, how much office development is even going in at Y&B? It seems to be all clustered around Union. If no one wants to build at Subway interchanges even now, then subway at Y&E won't drastically change that.

Essentially 0 office construction @ Yonge and Bloor in the last decade ... and no plans for this to change.

Well that hasn't even started yet ; - ) ... so my statement is still accurate.

Also, keep in mind that is an office condo ... implying only small offices will setup (i.e. I expect a lot of medical / small business / and the like) ... nothing wrong with that mind you.

Lastly we're losing an office building on cumberland soon ... this will replace that space.

Essentially 0 office construction @ Yonge and Bloor in the last decade ... and no plans for this to change.

There's lots of vacant space at Y&B with little new demand so why would anyone build there. As the population grows I could see demand for new office space pick up.

I wonder Mr. Matlow's thoughts on 2221 Yonge Street?

Back