Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

Tower 5 moving up a level...
20100720034.jpg

20100720066.jpg

Question: Will this building set the precedence for the architecture of high rises in the GTA? Or is AW just a random architecturally-unique building?

I don't know much about architecture so I don't know what to say on the question.

Question: Will this building set the precedence for the architecture of high rises in the GTA? Or is AW just a random architecturally-unique building?

I don't know much about architecture so I don't know what to say on the question.

most likely the latter

Simply fantastic... we have a real opportunity here as forumers to apply some influence or lobbying power to some of our great condo developpers to hire Yansong Ma for some towers downtown Toronto. These would look fantastic to counteract some of the boxes we have.. Any ideas guys on how we can present this to Great Gulf, and others?

Thx Redroom

Simply fantastic... we have a real opportunity here as forumers to apply some influence or lobbying power to some of our great condo developpers to hire Yansong Ma for some towers downtown Toronto. These would look fantastic to counteract some of the boxes we have.. Any ideas guys on how we can present this to Great Gulf, and others?

Here is MAD's website:http://www.i-mad.com

Contact information:
rd floor west tower, no.7 Banqiao Nanxiang, Beixinqiao,Beijing, China 100007
tell: +86 10 64026632, 64031080, 64016894, 64023940
fax: +86 10 64023940
zip: 100007
email: office@i-mad.com
press inquiry: press@i-mad.com
job application:hr@i-mad.com

Their website shows some of the projects they have completed, are under contruction, design in-progress and in the proposal stage.

His office has some very interesting projects on the go...

Here is the Absolute section:
http://www.i-mad.com/index.asp?go/#/projects/all/17/

Last edited:

Everyone in the industry is keenly interested in this building Xania - it is escaping no-one's attenton.

I hope it will influence the industry. All the major developers should build the occasional landmark project like this one with bold architecture chosen in an international design competition. (It should be downtown too.)

International design competitions are great but are not necessarily needed. There can be bold and dynamic designs from international architects (and local and national as well) if the builders choose to do so.

What I disagree with is that these "landmark projects" should be downtown. Downtown Toronto has landmarks and will continue to get them. I like the idea of spectacular designs throughout the GTA and some places need it more than others. Scarborough gets a bad rep for inferior designs (albeit deservedly so) so why not put a L Tower or Absolute World tower there? Imagine a Foster (first name that came to mind, though I'm generally not a fan of starchitects) in Vaughan Metropolitan Centre? Given the context it would be that much more attractive and could spawn further investment in development and design in an area that could sure use it. Such a building could change the image of an area and be a major catalyst for redevelopment.

What I disagree with is that these "landmark projects" should be downtown. Downtown Toronto has landmarks and will continue to get them. I like the idea of spectacular designs throughout the GTA and some places need it more than others. Scarborough gets a bad rep for inferior designs (albeit deservedly so) so why not put a L Tower or Absolute World tower there? Imagine a Foster (first name that came to mind, though I'm generally not a fan of starchitects) in Vaughan Metropolitan Centre? Given the context it would be that much more attractive and could spawn further investment in development and design in an area that could sure use it. Such a building could change the image of an area and be a major catalyst for redevelopment.

I want both the suburbs and downtown to have great and memorable architecture. But the best should be saved for where it's most visible. Downtown has the density and brings people from around the region and world. It should have the finest landmarks.

Back