Toronto 929 Queen East | 34.5m | 9s | Core Development | Arch. Unfolded

yup. NIMBYs are going to lose it over 9 storeys, but generally looks good. overall at 68 units it's still very modest intensification.
So far so good; my impression is that most folks in Leslieville and Riverside understand that arterial mid-rise is now a thing and appreciate that this kind of fairly modest intensification brings its own benefits. Only the reprobate ostrich types are going to grumble - but yeah, they're still around and they do like to grumble.

Treading sideways............

I'm ok w/the yellow brick bits, they aren't brilliant, but they fit in acceptably..........the broken out building entrance is a non-sequitur for me; I don't see why one needs to do that. The upper levels are 'fine'; though I'd prefer brick all the way up. If one was contrasting the upper levels, I'd rather see black.

it's pretty good design...just the building entrance needs some redesign if possible.

The architectural quality at Mirvish seems to be a substantial step above what is being proposed here (each facade has depth and enough variation to really sell through the idea of multiple facades, and these treatments are carried up beyond the podium to the towers)

I just think if you're going to go this route you need to think really carefully about each facade treatment - three shades of brick, some rearranging of windows and varied parapet heights just isn't enough in my opinion. I'm ok with more broad facades that aren't as "fine grained" if the pedestrian experience, materials and details are really well thought out. It's ok for buildings to look as big as they actually are if the design is good.

Pardon my hack photoshop job but I think it's mostly just a matter of simplifying things. I know this is less flashy, but it reads (at least to me) as a lot more cohesive and balanced.

View attachment 433974
That looks Way worse

This was approved at Council with some minor tweaks. Oddly though, this is not reflected in the AIC:

From the above:

1714764936482.png

Back