Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

I love skyscrapers but the way they are strategically place in the waterfront. Is taking the view away from the financial district. When 1-7 Yonge and 55 lake shore east skyscrapers are built. They will definitely cover the view of the financial district buildings from Center Island. Just look at the picture above of Toronto harbour looking north.

And? I don't see why we should plan the city based on projects from the 70s. Sure they're nice, but shrinking development to preserve the view of the Financial Core will just look forced, and would likely not succeed at protecting the view anyhow. I say embrace supertall Yonge Street and make it shine.

Skyline views last only as long as the next tower nearest to you is erected. Pemberton's "Time And Space" condos at 177-197 Front Street East will partially obstruct the downtown skyline view as seen in the image below. If you live in a condo in Toronto and you have a terrific unobstructed view, enjoy it while you can because that view is sure to change over the next couple of decades.

January 13, 2017:

Close-up on the mechanical penthouse (59th level).

Sure, virtually no view is fully protected. But you're in one of the best locations, as you can count on there not being all that much height built east of Jarvis, and you have already a bunch of lowrise in St. Lawrence area that will stay, and whatever happens at Front and Parliament won't get in your way. So I'd say you can be pretty certain that your view will remain largely unobstructed. And whatever does go at 177 Front, it should really just add to the layered density anyways.

Sure, virtually no view is fully protected. But you're in one of the best locations, as you can count on there not being all that much height built east of Jarvis, and you have already a bunch of lowrise in St. Lawrence area that will stay, and whatever happens at Front and Parliament won't get in your way. So I'd say you can be pretty certain that your view will remain largely unobstructed. And whatever does go at 177 Front, it should really just add to the layered density anyways.

Fully agree. West views are only of adjacent bank towers. The north view will remain open unless Yonge St. welcomes a lot more than just Massey. In my opinion, the South views will improve with the Tor Star site, plus other waterfront developments, and the East views won't see any nearby obstructions above 20+/- (?) floors for a very long time. Decades perhaps.

e8a7784a-3fa6-4b8f-9936-7d2262dca743_zpslqstjue7.jpg

And? I don't see why we should plan the city based on projects from the 70s. Sure they're nice, but shrinking development to preserve the view of the Financial Core will just look forced, and would likely not succeed at protecting the view anyhow. I say embrace supertall Yonge Street and make it shine.

Why supertall? Why not just tall buildings? Also, where does actual design factor into that equation? Aura is the tallest on Yonge right now but, it hardly shines. One Yonge should turn better. The overall plan does leave a lot to be desired as Aura does from street level. How it looks in the skyline from some distant point of reference doesn't account for much with me.

Some view corridors that allow the great towers of the core to be seen could also benefit the skyline from the lake by also preserving its depth that is slowly being erased. It doesn't have to look forced either. Of course, it would maybe require sacrificing some height to the growing "supertall" wall which I understand would be too great a sacrifice for some.

Last edited:

Back