Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

I believe there was a bit of talk about design, but it was mostly about how it was changed to reduce community impacts (shadows on parks). I'm assuming that was why the tower shifted. C. Vaughan loved the three bedroom units, removable ceilings in some units (I guess for conversion to two-story units), and the mixed-use nature of the building (retail, office, and res). C. McConnell loved Concert's approach to talking to the community and responding to their concerns. I guess this is Concert's second project in the area and their approach is refreshing.

What was unusual to me was Vaughan's speech, normally councilors don't talk about projects outside their boundaries, but he really seems to like this one. If anybody was going to mention the new look of the building, it would've been Vaughan but I don't believe he had much to say about it. Vaughan's one criticism was that the project didn't include affordable rental units.

well that sounds like the new design is in effect....too bad....although maybe they shifted the tower, but kept what some folks think of as a 'monstrous carbuncle' on the top, which many others prefer to think of as a graceful symmetrical shape that mirrors and pays homage to the classic skyscapers of the 1930s..guess we will find out soon enough...

Gee, he is just being sarcastic...how many new hi-rise projects in his hood (entertainment district), have included affordable rentals:confused:

Vaughan has long been advocating for rentals and larger units, and he's managed to get them in a couple of buildings. He's only one man in the most rapidly expanding ward in Toronto - he can't change all of the developments in his ward.

I believe there was a bit of talk about design, but it was mostly about how it was changed to reduce community impacts (shadows on parks). I'm assuming that was why the tower shifted. C. Vaughan loved the three bedroom units, removable ceilings in some units (I guess for conversion to two-story units), and the mixed-use nature of the building (retail, office, and res). C. McConnell loved Concert's approach to talking to the community and responding to their concerns. I guess this is Concert's second project in the area and their approach is refreshing.

What was unusual to me was Vaughan's speech, normally councilors don't talk about projects outside their boundaries, but he really seems to like this one. If anybody was going to mention the new look of the building, it would've been Vaughan but I don't believe he had much to say about it. Vaughan's one criticism was that the project didn't include affordable rental units.

Concert and the institution where I work did a deal that is leading to the design and construction (happening right now, excavation stage) of a 15 storey tower. The whole approval process was incredibly complicated due to the very particular and unusual circumstances of the site. Neighbouring residents were very much involved in the whole process. Some were simply protecting their interest in a reasonable and understandable way. A couple, however, were ... well, on second thought let's not go there. Because of my position, I was present for all public meetings and observed the way Concert did things. In a very difficult and sometimes emotionally charged set of meetings, the Concert reps conducted themselves with patience and dignity. I was very impressed and I am not surprised the councillors in Toronto felt likewise.

I feel the same way now as I've always felt about the scheme: it's "good-middlebrow". And I'm hands-off re the "Toronto deserves better" question.

Reminder that this is very likely what we'll end up with no matter what they shape they end up building
TrekPuke.gif

Are we preparing outselves for something like this in the end:

aquablu-bg.jpg

P&S/IB's Aquablu in New Jersey.

Thank you someMidTowner .... you illustrate very well how the changes were very "unforturnate"

So much for the design review panel being useful; at least in this case. This looks awful. It appears so much chunkier without the centered peak.

Last edited:

Back