Toronto 88 Queen | 167.35m | 52s | St Thomas Dev | Hariri Pontarini

The suicide barrier wasn’t originally called The Luminous Veil - that was after they added the light feature around the time of the Panam Games (2015?)
That's not true. It was called The Luminous Veil since the concept was originally unveiled in 1998, and was constructed with the necessary wiring for the lighting right from the start. I distinctly remember it being called The Luminous Veil when it was opened in 2003. The lights were "coming soon" for years, but it was always called The Luminous Veil.

That's not true. It was called The Luminous Veil since the concept was originally unveiled in 1998, and was constructed with the necessary wiring for the lighting right from the start. I distinctly remember it being called The Luminous Veil when it was opened in 2003. The lights were "coming soon" for years, but it was always called The Luminous Veil.
Yeah, I remember calling it the Luminous Veil in university in the early 2000s...

My apologies. I wasn’t in Toronto in the early 2000s, and had never heard of The Luminous Veil until the lights were added in 2015. And even then, the sources I read didn’t mention the lights had been planned since the barrier was installed. Better late than never - and of course the barrier is more important than the lights, and helped save dozens of life years before the lights were installed.

IMG_1848.jpg

This is contributing to a bit of a canyon look for Queen Street E, taken Feb 14:

View attachment 541793
Though I do not find this building (or group of buildings) 'offensive', it really could have been SO much better. We have enough 'ok buildings' and having yet another in such a prominent spot is unfortunate. That said, it could have been far worse!

I returned from Dubai few days ago. we drove past City tower (U/C), it is designed by Pelli Clarke. City tower is using glass/facade very similar to 88 Queen's podium.

Back