Toronto 7 St Thomas | 38.71m | 9s | St. Thomas | Hariri Pontarini

No, I'm connecting the dots. For 94 Cumberland to be converted into residential, the office space will have to be moved somewhere else. I'm guessing that as Minto owns both of these properties, they'll press for the redevelopment of 94 Cumberland by pointing out their replacement at the St Thomas. Since the office component of the St Thomas is sitting pretty much on top of the University Apartment, it looks like the University Apartment might have been torn down so that 94 Cumberland could be residential. Just a guess, but it makes sense. And this should probably be in one of those threads.

There's generally no stipulation that the office component must be rebuilt anywhere ... actually all the conversions in recent year have never built extra office space to make up for what was lost.

I'm still surprised this is even being proposed and even more surprised that St Thomas has an office component.
I wouldn't be surprised if that project and even this one are really both residential and someone has just made a mistake (or two) :)

Here's the original app;

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 193461 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jun 10, 2010

Project: Multiple-Use Building New Building

Description: PUBLIC - PRELIMINARY PROJECT REVIEW, Due Date is 09-JUL-10, >>build 21 storey and 10 storey mixed use building, ( commercial and residential)

Back to Search Results page

Here's the original app;

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 193461 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jun 10, 2010

Project: Multiple-Use Building New Building

Description: PUBLIC - PRELIMINARY PROJECT REVIEW, Due Date is 09-JUL-10, >>build 21 storey and 10 storey mixed use building, ( commercial and residential)

Back to Search Results page

Well there you go :) - It'd odd they have balconies though as the prior poster indicated.

These puppies do look out of place and out of scale sitting there, but man, they are excellent examples of Victorians by Toronto standards. I wonder if the half block can be moved. Move them to the Annex or Cabbagetown where they'll be appreciated.

I wonder if the half block can be moved. Move them to the Annex or Cabbagetown where they'll be appreciated.

Too "Pioneer Village" or "Facade District". They'll more likely get lost in the fray than "appreciated" down there...

In case anyone is wondering, these are all designated (not just listed) heritage properties according to the heritage properties inventory.

The primary address for 1C Sultan and 3 Sultan are listed as 1 St. Thomas St, so I presume these and the other properties are owned by Lee Development Group, who did One St. Thomas. 1C and 3 Sultan were designated Feb 28, 2003 and 5,7,9 Sultan Street were designated on March 12, 1981.

From Councillor Wong-Tam's email newsletter:

1,3,5,7,9 Sultan Street

o Application is currently being reviewed by the City Planning Department. More information will be provided in the future.

o Community consultation meeting is scheduled for

§ Date - February 17, 2011

§ Location: University of Toronto Campus, Room: TBD

§ Time - 7:00pm - 9:00pm

Just an FYI, these buildings were being used at the offices for the Speech & Stuttering Institute until the early-mid 2000s. I don't know what occupied them after that though.

I'd be happy with a facadism in this case. The original insides of the houses are likely long gone.

The applicant has just posted signs on the property showing a render of the new building. It states that existing facades will be retained and there will be retail at grade. The building is opaque glass wth some indentations on the north side.

Excellent news. A rare victory against the heritage insensitive barbarian hordes.

Though possibly a "predestined" victory, w/our impression skewed by rumours + innuendo + wishful-think posted in this thread...

sultand26.jpg

and to compare:

5402471497_911799509d_z.jpg

and

5403058790_c668a55235_z.jpg

First, that brick landscaping, while trying to be fun, comes off as really cheesy to me. Those new stairwells look like they were tinkering too much. I like the seating added in the walkway. But, I would have preferred to see some trees here that (presumably) had deep planters with seating around them.

I may be reading into this way too much, but from looking at the render, it appears that there is detail missing around the doorways which suggests to me they would be taking these down and rebuilding them, minus some of the details.

I like the office tower a good bit. It feels very light, which is needed in a cramped space like this. The curves in the glass remind me of One Bloor.

So far, it looks like the developer is trying. That is a good first step.

The roofs of the townhouses get butchered, and the entire base looks like it was plucked right out of the 70s.

But I'm liking the rounded glass. A lot. I do wish the tower was a little bulkier- right now it looks like some temporary structure put up instead of an actual tower.

This is a wait-and-see sort of project at this point.

Last edited:

Back