Toronto 629 King Residences (was Thompson Residences) | 53.34m | 15s | Freed | Saucier + Perrotte

Walked by the site on Friday. Lot is completly fenced off, and crew is taking down the sales centre. Can anyone confirm if it's the start of site preparation or it's officially on hold?

The project has been re-appealed.

Sales centre removed.

5619743180_85c70e145f_b.jpg

Just to clarify - by 're-appealed' do you mean that the project is a go? or is it still being disputed?

They began tearing out the concrete from the parking lot today.

My understanding is that the City re-appealed the OMB decision (which is rare), which would mean the project is still tied up. However, if the sales centre is down and activity is occurring on the site, I could be mistaken.

My understanding is that the City re-appealed the OMB decision (which is rare), which would mean the project is still tied up. However, if the sales centre is down and activity is occurring on the site, I could be mistaken.

I think the wording of "re-appealed" is confusing. The city is appealing the OMB decision because of irregularities. So long as this is proceeding to court, nothing will happen on the site. No permit for anything will be issued by the city.

In tandem with the City's appeal to divisional court, the City filed a motion to the OMB seeking a stay of their decision to allow Freed's appeal for minor variances. Essentially, this motion sought to place a temporary hold (until the conclusion of the divisional court appeal) on the issuance of building permits which the City was otherwise obligated to issue given the granting of minor variances by the OMB. On April 15th, the OMB deined the motion, noting that the intial series of building permits issued would only be for shoring and excavations and would therefore not fundamentally affect those parts of the building under dispute.

Essentially, while the divisional court appeal is going ahead, we can likely expect to see preliminary work on the site commencing as the City has no legal means to prevent this, and such work will have practically no effect on those matters under dispute.

If so, Freed will likely try to get tieback agreements from the neighbouring property owners - some of whom are mighty pissed off with this development.

If so, Freed will likely try to get tieback agreements from the neighbouring property owners - some of whom are mighty pissed off with this development.

Odd, cause visually its going to be a lot better than what was there before..
The only reason i can think of why some of the neighbouring property owners are pissed off is, that its going to be much more upbeat and trendy than what they are sitting on.:p

Last edited:
If that's all you can think of, then let me assure you that you are wrong (again).

Hey, according to you im always wrong..like i have said before i know the hood very well and it wasnt a very interesting area until some of these new developers came along.
Of course you love your neighbourhood and it is a great area in the city to live, but come-on.. you have to loosen up.:)

If you want to look at who helped to revitalize the area, try the actual city planning actions which set the efforts into motion. You know, the city planning efforts you'd like to see smashed.

You know, the city planning efforts you'd like to see smashed.

The ones i want to see smashed and the ones you cherish so much..come-on, like i said before loosen up and dont be so anal about a couple meters and setbacks here and there..other neighbourhoods surrounding yours have been able to cope with it, what makes yours any better. City planning should be there to be fair to neighbourhoods and also to developers, thats why we have an OMB.:cool:

The ones i want to see smashed and the ones you cherish so much..come-on, like i said before loosen up and dont be so anal about a couple meters and setbacks here and there..other neighbourhoods surrounding yours have been able to cope with it, what makes yours any better. City planning should be there to be fair to neighbourhoods and also to developers, thats why we have an OMB.:cool:

"That's why we have the OMB" he says. I'm shaking my head and squinting my eyes.

Last edited:

Back