Toronto 60 Richmond Street East | ?m | 11s | TCHC | Teeple Architects

except for the great co-op boom of the Rae years which scattered small scale, nicely designed buildings, around the city

unfortunately the materials used were subpar and most today are the eyesores of their given neighboorhoods

materials

I'd totally disagree. I can think of many great little co-ops scattered around the city that are just fine.

To make your argument, you'd have to come up with some examples, and contrast the materials used in co-ops with materials used by neighbouring condos to make a good case. I'm not saying it isn't so, but I certainly haven't observed this in the city around me.

If this is the new trend in social housing then it gets a big thumbs up from me. Nice to see such an enlightened effort. Geez I think I might even apply to live there.

It is indeed a shame that more private developers aren't daring in their designs. At least the city has more design foresight!

Very Dutch!!! I'm a little surprised Canada doesn't have more such architecture by now.

I still like N-Blox much better than this as it seems more 'clean' but they are very similar in style. It's in a pretty good location too - especially for low income.

Archivist made the point that goverment subsidized developments can go a little more risky with the design but I don't think unique architecture like this should be only in the realm of the publically funded. The project doesn't appear to have much more than perhaps 20 units in it. Certainly there are at least 20 individuals in a city of millions that find this kind of architecture not only attractive but worth paying a little extra for. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see more of these types of low-rise developments happening around the city. Developers can't make the kind of return they need to on small-scale projects whereas if they make a project that stands out and they can get significantly more money because of that, they could possible increase their return to a point where building low-rise makes more sense.

To make your argument, you'd have to come up with some examples, and contrast the materials used in co-ops with materials used by neighbouring condos to make a good case.

that's near impossible considering the condo market was basically dead at the time the co-operatives were built and their locations being away from areas with a history of condo activity

In any case, I've seen very few midrise condominiums with cheap tiles, windowalls and stucco from any era

Developers can't make the kind of return they need to on small-scale projects whereas if they make a project that stands out and they can get significantly more money because of that, they could possible increase their return to a point where building low-rise makes more sense

a developer is likely to pay full market rates for the design, engineering, contracting, etc. unlike the city - not to mention the cost of land

Am I the only one who's not blown away by this? I mean, I think it looks kind of cool and it's nice to get some of this kind of architecture but I don't see what's so amazing about it. What function does the seemingly random placement of windows have? Are the window locations determined by the suite layouts or are the suites shaped to fit a wacky exterior?

Am I the only one who's not blown away by this? I mean, I think it looks kind of cool and it's nice to get some of this kind of architecture but I don't see what's so amazing about it. What function does the seemingly random placement of windows have? Are the window locations determined by the suite layouts or are the suites shaped to fit a wacky exterior?

Uhhhhh...

it's not just windows. It's recesses and projections, it's volumes and voids, it's light and dark cladding, it's green roofs and overhangs.

Look at it again.

PS - I'm sure the wacky windows will work fine with suite layouts.

Looks good in the rendering but if they don’t use the right cladding this could be a major eyesore. I predict aluminum siding a la OCAD.

I live directly across the street from this location. The design is beautiful however I would not want to live in a unit located on the north side of the building. There is an 8 or 9 story office building located directly north of the existing building, and the buildings will be so close! No privacy or view whatsoever. However, my view will be much improved with this beauty being built.

interchange:

I don't know, high quality painted alumnium panels (or even better, zinc) would work wonders, in comparison to precast (think blotchy U of T Grad Residence).

A

Back