Toronto 4800 Yonge Street | 168.24m | 49s | Menkes | Arquitectonica

So bizarre to me that they'd get this far with construction without launching for sales.
Maybe they know that this will be a guaranteed sell out. This project is definitely going to be snapped up by East Asian buys in a jiffy heck even Chinese radio stations are hyping it up already.

Maybe they know that this will be a guaranteed sell out. This project is definitely going to be snapped up by East Asian buys in a jiffy heck even Chinese radio stations are hyping it up already.
I would be pretty nervous of this plan in this condo market.

It has also been proven with recent launches that investors don't actually like short deposit structures and quick turnaround times on move-in dates. An investor having the choice between buying today for a 2029 occupancy date at another project and buying into this project for a 2026 occupancy date, would opt for the 2029 date, and avoid greater risk of not capturing desired interim price growth + possibly landing in undesirable interest rate environment upon closing.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how costly it is to build over active subway tunnels, as they are doing here? I recall at 501 Yonge, it added a great deal of time to construction, but I can't track down any info around the additional costs associated with this, and I am sure they are substantial.

You are right, I stand corrected. It started out as rental.
Menkes still don't know what this is (condo or rental). But they sure should figure it out as we've now got a massively slowed market and this is coming out of the ground. Of all the potential 'stumps', this is the one I most-closely have my eyes on. Also remember there's 15,000sm of office podium here too...😬

IMG_9217.JPG
IMG_9218.JPG

Does anyone know how costly it is to build over active subway tunnels, as they are doing here? I recall at 501 Yonge, it added a great deal of time to construction, but I can't track down any info around the additional costs associated with this, and I am sure they are substantial.

Usually it take one year of digging to hit bottom,... here, approaching 2 years - thus, I would say to deal with active subway tunnels basically adds another year of digging cost! It doubles the digging down cost - and they still don't have foundation for crane yet

Usually it take one year of digging to hit bottom,... here, approaching 2 years - thus, I would say to deal with active subway tunnels basically adds another year of digging cost! It doubles the digging down cost - and they still don't have foundation for crane yet
Why would Menkes rush it, given the below \/?
Menkes still don't know what this is (condo or rental). But they sure should figure it out as we've now got a massively slowed market and this is coming out of the ground. Of all the potential 'stumps', this is the one I most-closely have my eyes on. Also remember there's 15,000sm of office podium here too...😬

966b-TTC-010326-SheppardCon-SheppYongeSTA5.png

I recently came across this image regarding the Sheppard Subway Construction back then. It's my understanding that there are connecting tracks between line 1 and line 4. I believe there are ones that connect the tail tracks on line 4 with the southbound tracks south of Sheppard-Yonge station. I'm guessing that this trench here isn't the connecting tracks? Because the hole that currently sits on this site is much deeper than this.

Likewise with the Hullmark Centre across the street, would the little plaza be where the connecting tracks would be?

ul

I recently came across this image regarding the Sheppard Subway Construction back then. It's my understanding that there are connecting tracks between line 1 and line 4. I believe there are ones that connect the tail tracks on line 4 with the southbound tracks south of Sheppard-Yonge station. I'm guessing that this trench here isn't the connecting tracks? Because the hole that currently sits on this site is much deeper than this.

Likewise with the Hullmark Centre across the street, would the little plaza be where the connecting tracks would be?

Off topic but I used to manage that National Sports in this pic. Managed it right up until our lease was done so they could knock down the plaza and put up the Hullmark Centre. Memories *sigh*

Great picture, thanks for posting! There are connecting tracks on both sides of Yonge, yes:
1701786281037.png

Great picture, thanks for posting! There are connecting tracks on both sides of Yonge, yes:

Both "Line 4 Sheppard Access Track" (WYES) in original image are not to scale - they're way larger than what they are in reality.
- They were both built in late 1990s,... when Nestle Canada building was already built in early 1990s - but image shows they're going through NestleCanada building
- IF they went under the middle of Tridel Hullmark Centre and Bazis Emerald Park,... we on UrbanToronto would have snapped a ton of subway tunnel photos during construction of those two projects!

Red Line in image below shows where the real "Line 4 Sheppard Access Track" (WYES) are located!
- this is what we're seeing in insertnamehere's photo - going from southeast corner of 4800 Yonge site to it's northwest corner. BTW, this is why it has taken Menkes 2 years of digging VS the usual 1 year to hit bottom,... they have to carefully dig around the existing Subway Turning Tunnel and build reenforcement around it
- in late 1990s, construction of this subway turning tunnel had to take out a corner of the (northwest) cannopy at National Gym! With Tridel Hullmark Center construction, their Grand Hall Entrance (for Office tower - northwest corner directly east of plaza) sits on top of this Subway Turning Tunnel and that part is restricted in height to just one level!
YongeSheppard_SubwayTunnelsREDBlack.png

Back