Toronto 468 Danforth Road | 44.15m | 11s | Altree | Graziani + Corazza

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New to the AIC is this application to redevelop the last remaining Sun Valley supermarket (the one in Greektown having closed a few years ago). This one is at the intersection of Danforth Road and Birchmount.

Site as is:f (aerial pic, of plaza + parking, site includes a a single lot SFH lot to the north as parkland dedication.

1666861465873.png

Streetview:

1666861598432.png

The App:

1666860503788.png

From the Docs:

No renders as such, just some very vaguely detailed elevations:

1666862083546.png

1666862104739.png

1666862134078.png

1666862161476.png

Site Plan:

1666862386871.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1666862336540.png

1666862460002.png

1666862525319.png

Comments:

The existing plaza is more than a bit rough around the edges, but remains fully leased and a very vital part of this community, It currently features one of two full-service supermarkets at this intersection, the other being an Asian Supermarket in the plaza to the south-west of the intersection. There is also a Halal grocer in said plaza, but it is considerably smaller at ~5,000ft2. In addition to the supermarket this plaza has other food-based retail (restos), including Mamas Boy's, a well reputed old-school burger place, a chain pizza store, and a pub.

The height/intensification is welcome here in my judgement, though will establish a new level of precedent, which may trigger some opposition.

However, I suspect the much stronger opposition will come over loss of the supermarket and eating establishments.

While some replacement retail is proposed, there is no large format retail; and over all, one is looking at an 80% reduction in retail ft2 in favour of at-grade residential.

The level of proposed parking is over 0.8 spaces per unit, relatively high for a moderate-income area on two transit routes.

I would argue part of the justification for the high parking is relative absence of walkable retail.

While a large'ish plaza remains across the road, the very existence of this proposal will surely trigger the process of mixed-use redevelopment there, and in so doing, put the area at-risk of losing the vast majority of its retail and its only
remaining supermarket.

As such, I feel strongly that Planning should insist on full ground-floor retail and replacing 100% of the existing ft2 of retail on-site.

The streetscape proposal is sound, and has the potential to increase walkability, by adding trees in the boulevard flanking this site on both the Birchmount and Danforth frontages.

However, if both frontages were to revert to retail, changes would be required to accommodate higher pedestrian volumes with greater sidewalk space.

While the on-site park dedication is small, it is welcome, as it enlarges an existing small park, and will provide said park with direct access to Birchmount Road for the first time.

In summation, lots to like here, potentially, in terms of the massing and intensification, but the loss of most retail off the site does not represent a 15-minute City vision, nor good planning which serves the neigbourhood interest.
This aspect of the plan should be re-thought.

There's a CIBC branch at the tip of this lot that likely impedes any flatiron effort, unfortunately. I used to live within walking distance of this plaza and Mama's Boys will definitely be missed, fantastic old school burger spot. Sun Valley was a decent midsize grocery store too. More retail in this proposal should definitely be pursued, Sun Valley leaving would be a significant loss for the area that is quite underserved by grocery stores.

What won't be missed is the Newfoundlander though lol. Only ventured in there once and the pool table reeked of spoiled beer.

There's a CIBC branch at the tip of this lot that likely impedes any flatiron effort, unfortunately. I used to live within walking distance of this plaza and Mama's Boys will definitely be missed, fantastic old school burger spot. Sun Valley was a decent midsize grocery store too. More retail in this proposal should definitely be pursued, Sun Valley leaving would be a significant loss for the area that is quite underserved by grocery stores.

What won't be missed is the Newfoundlander though lol. Only ventured in there once and the pool table reeked of spoiled beer.

The Newfoundlander gives dive bars a bad name.

That being said, the loss of Sun Valley would be immeasurable. Having lived down the street for almost 30 years it has been a godsend. Whenever you need something quick or something European you can always find it there.

Mamas Boys WAS good. When they first opened, the restaurant was good but then they severely limited their portions and raised prices. Now it lives off the name, not the food.

I have not been there in around a decade.

The Newfoundlander gives dive bars a bad name.

That being said, the loss of Sun Valley would be immeasurable. Having lived down the street for almost 30 years it has been a godsend. Whenever you need something quick or something European you can always find it there.

Mamas Boys WAS good. When they first opened, the restaurant was good but then they severely limited their portions and raised prices. Now it lives off the name, not the food.

I have not been there in around a decade.
I liked Mamas Boys up until I moved away, around 4 years ago, but only first tried it around 2016. The portions always seem generous to me, but I suppose my reference point is much narrower! Hopefully Sun Valley is able to relocate within the neighbourhood. I actually stopped in there the other day since I work close by- still a great spot and very impressive selection for such a seemingly small grocery store (by today's standards).

I liked Mamas Boys up until I moved away, around 4 years ago, but only first tried it around 2016. The portions always seem generous to me, but I suppose my reference point is much narrower! Hopefully Sun Valley is able to relocate within the neighbourhood. I actually stopped in there the other day since I work close by- still a great spot and very impressive selection for such a seemingly small grocery store (by today's standards).

When I first went there years ago, Mamas boys had generous portions. Mama always made sure that the customers were happy.

As time progressed, the portions got smaller and smaller while the prices stayed the same. It became a question of what am I paying for... The previous restaurant San Marco had some of the best veal sandwiches you will ever taste.

Notice sign is up if that means anything.

That is required to be posted when the application is filed. Which was last autumn.

Also the owner of Sun Valley says it's closing in June

That seems shockingly early.

The zoning hasn't even gone to a preliminary report, and there is no SPA filed.

No sign of it having gone off to the OLT either.

That is required to be posted when the application is filed. Which was last autumn.

That seems shockingly early.

The zoning hasn't even gone to a preliminary report, and there is no SPA filed.

No sign of it having gone off to the OLT either.
Thank you for the clarification! The info comes through my grandmother, so possibly not accurate

Thank you for the clarification! The info comes through my grandmother, so possibly not accurate

Grandma's get the story right some of the time! LOL

Who knows, the owner may just well want to throw in the towel, or there may be some other compelling story, but I imagine this will sit vacant for several months at least.

Sun Valley Market will be closing on July 29, 2023, after around 40 years in business:

I saw that. It is a loss for the local area.

Growing up down the street, it was that local grocery store where you could get things in a pinch like milk, bread or vegetables. By no means does Sun Valley have a diverse selection but everything was fresh and "old-school" for lack of a better term.

Whenever I forgot something when cooking, it was super easy to run and get that one thing from Sun Valley rather than head to Metro or Wal-Mart.

The neighborhood is changing though, when we moved in back in 1993 it was primarily European people in the area. My neighbors were Yugoslavian and the area around Sun Valley was dominated by Italians. Now it is a more diverse group of residents ranging from South Asian to Canadian.

Stores like Sun Valley served the community as it was, and as the area changes so do it's needs. Stores like Al Premium, Adonis and the Asian grocery store on Lebovic (whose name escapes me) now meet the needs of the local demographic more than places like the euro-centric Sun Valley do.

This intersection has now lost its only other nearby supermarket, the independent 'Tasteco' located across from the Sun Valley has been shuttered after non-payment of rent.

The nearest supermarkets are now several km away, up on Eglinton by Kennedy (No Frills); St. Clair and VP (No Frills), or the Eglinton stores west of Warden, however, those might be an extra bus trip for many.

To add insult to injury for the locals, the nearest Metro (Shoppers World) was at least a one-seat bus ride away, but is currently out on strike (with good reason).

The area is suddenly a proverbial food dessert after have 2 supermarkets mere weeks ago.

Back