Toronto 225 Queen East | 121.4m | 37s | Dash Developments | Arcadis

This is one sketchy, sketchy corner.

Yes it is...but since when has even a bad case of local rif-raf stopped gentrification?

In fact, the more sketchy the demographic problem is, the more likely it is to attract the savy, visionary investment types. The key of course, is that it has to have good location and bones...and this area has unpolished gem written all over it.

The re-developments going on around its periphery will go a long way to help make the area seem less isolated (Corktown, Regent Park, West Donlands, etc).

The over-concentration of down-and-out facilities poses a bit more of a challenge here, but other areas have proven that this does not have to be eliminated to work. In fact, that's what a true mixed neighbourhood is all about.

In fact, that's what a true mixed neighbourhood is all about.

Not with projects such as this. For the two or more blocks south and to the southwest you are having a whole string of large "modernistic" buildings that don't add very much aside from a non-descript entryway or a bit of lipservice to preserving the old facades.

As I said before, I can't wait for the condo boom to turn into a bust and end this sort of sore-thumb construction.

I've been on Britain Street since 1994. Sherbourne from King north was sketchy in those days. There was hardly anybody around at night, at least not people you'd want to associate with. With the arrival of Mozo, Kings Court and all the rest of the condos the area has changed tremendously.

As recently as 6 years ago there were crack dens on Britain. This has all changed now. This project is a welcome addition to the area as are the Modern and the one at the northwest corner of Sherbourne and Richmond. And as are the Vu and Glass House. Yes the area to the north is still sketchy but the area is still much improved and getting better by the year.

BTW, you can see a bit of UT HQ in the second shot.

I'm up on the lower part (south of Dundas) of Seaton Street (generally called "South Cabbagetown") -- we're almost neighbours. What was the deal with the coffee shop at Britain/Sherbourne, by the way? Even when it was open, it looked entirely uninviting.

I've only been here since September, and I definitely agree with you. It's interesting watching the intersections around me change fairly rapidly:

- Queen/Sherbourne was sketchy with the Coffee Time, but since it was closed there's not even many people hanging out there. I used to go to Queen/Jarvis to get the streetcar just to avoid being asked for change, but I don't bother anymore.

- Queen/Shuter, the intersection closest to me, has always seemed pretty tame. There are a few lone prostitutes around, though. I don't really understand being a prostitute in Canada, by the way. Must be a terrible market.

- Queen/Parliament is actually turning around really really fast. The TD bank, the Shoppers, the Subway and (now) the Magic Oven. I'd love to see that section of Queen street get more nice retail.

Dundas/Sherbourne is still pretty much a wasteland, though. It'll likely be a long while before condo developers turn their eyes up there. They need to tear down those 101 Sherbourne monstrosity buildings.

Edit: Sorry, not 101. The ones starting at Shuter/Sherbourne. I can't remember the address off-hand. They're big and ugly and utterly depressing.

this area has unpolished gem written all over it.

Absolutely. But unless the next block north gets bulldozed hasn't this stretch now "hit a wall" (at least to the north?)

As far as panhandlers, winos and the homeless go, I have no problem with any of this as long as I don't feel intimidated. Heck, CASA is even going to be next door to a "drop in centre" but for some reason it presents no problem at all.

What was the deal with the coffee shop at Britain/Sherbourne, by the way? Even when it was open, it looked entirely uninviting.

It closed when the owner was busted for selling drugs and illegal cigarettes from behind the counter.

Glass House?

Counter to my arguement however...

Isn't this the lot where the former Eastside Lofts, now proposed Glass House is?

Looks like the lot for Glass House is for sale..Unless MLS/ICX.ca is horribly outdated...

c14034841.jpg

MLS 215 Queen Street East - $1.45 Million

General Description

Attention Developers: Approved 6 Storey Res Condo With 29 Units And Retail On Ground Level. Lot Runs From Britain Street To Queen Street East. As Per City Planner Final Approvals Should Be In Place By September. Surveys, Plans, Storm Reports, Shadow Reports Are All Available With An Accepted Offer, Please See Fax Attachments For Additional Information, Schematics, Survey, Etc.

Isn't this the lot where the former Eastside Lofts, now proposed Glass House is?

Looks like the lot for Glass House is for sale..Unless MLS/ICX.ca is horribly outdated...

Glass House is the one on the south side of Queen west of Jarvis. It is currently up to the second floor.

The rendering you posted of Eastside Lofts is for the lot near Queen and Sherbourne and yes it is for sale. City wouldn't let them build that high. And, btw, its the same owner as for the Kormann House.

Thanks Ed, got confused.

That's right. Glass House used to be that old Jade Lofts, or whatever it was called.

for that rendering to be correct, they will have to strip the white paint off the building at the southwest corner of the intersection.

...and build a glass and steel structure behind it, and remove all the people from the sidewalk ;)

^ because renderings are always accurate, though am not sure they can stretch the budget to stripping the walls, could cost literally, hundreds.:)

It seems there's a bunch of us in this area. We should have a meet for those that live/work in this area. I've probably passed some of you on the street many times.

Not with projects such as this. For the two or more blocks south and to the southwest you are having a whole string of large "modernistic" buildings that don't add very much aside from a non-descript entryway or a bit of lipservice to preserving the old facades.

As I said before, I can't wait for the condo boom to turn into a bust and end this sort of sore-thumb construction.

Funny; you could be speaking of, say, King and Bathurst re strings of large "modernistic" buildings coming up nearby. And I can't say they've brought down neighbourhood values; quite the contrary.

You mean you're rather have stuff looking like this
richmond.jpg

than stuff looking like this?
Mozo.jpg

It closed when the owner was busted for selling drugs and illegal cigarettes from behind the counter.

The Coffee Time has signs in the window saying something about just doing renovations. The signs make it sound like it'll be opening again soon.

Back