Barrie 217 Dunlop Street East (Barrie) | 54.95m | 15s | PBM Realty Holdings | Salter Pilon Architecture

Undead

Member Bio
Reaction score
N.B. I'll be posting a bunch of recent development applications in Barrie. Generally, I'll only be including proposals that have had some activity in the last 2-3 years. There are a few more proposals that seem to have stalled years ago, so my posts today aren't exhaustive. But it's clear development is on fire in Barrie--another place flying relatively under the radar like KW and Hamilton. Apologies if any of these proposals have already been posted and please merge the threads.

Application: https://www.barrie.ca/City Hall/Planning-and-Development/Proposed-Developments/Ward2/Pages/217-Dunlop-Street-East.aspx

Type of ApplicationDate Application Deemed CompleteStatus
Amendment to the Zoning Bylaw (ZBA)February 19, 2021Under Review
Site Plan ApprovalFebruary 19, 2021Under Review

Just up the road from Lakhouse.

"A 15-storey, 41 unit mixed-use condominium on the lands known municipally as 217 Dunlop Street East."

Arch plans:

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Streetview:

5.JPG

Last edited:
N.B. I'll be posting a bunch of recent development applications in Barrie. Generally, I'll only be including proposals that have had some activity in the last 2-3 years. There are a few more proposals that seem to have stalled years ago, so my posts today aren't exhaustive. But it's clear development is on fire in Barrie--another place flying relatively under the radar like KW and Hamilton. Apologies if any of these proposals have already been posted and please merge the threads.

Application: https://www.barrie.ca/City Hall/Planning-and-Development/Proposed-Developments/Ward2/Pages/217-Dunlop-Street-East.aspx

Type of ApplicationDate Application Deemed CompleteStatus
Amendment to the Zoning Bylaw (ZBA)February 19, 2021Under Review
Site Plan ApprovalFebruary 19, 2021Under Review

"A 15-storey, 41 unit mixed-use condominium on the lands known municipally as 217 Dunlop Street East."

Just up the road from Lakhouse.

Arch plans:

View attachment 363287View attachment 363288View attachment 363289View attachment 363290
Streetview:

View attachment 363291

It's bad planning, in my judgement, to allow these buildings to encroach so closely on the already narrow strip of waterfront parkland.

Even if the trail in this section never returns to railway, the park is very very tight.

I think a requirement for a greater buffer (widening of the park) would be appropriate, starting with the statutory take for parkland, but if needs be, having Barrie purchase some additional width as these proposals come forward.

I will say, in the unlikely event that rail resumed here at some point in the future, aside from pretty much obliterating the park space......just imagine the sound of the train at that proximity to the building.

Which, incidentally, would probably trigger a 2-storey tall crash wall these days, wiping out a view of anything but a wall for those on the lowest floors.

It's bad planning, in my judgement, to allow these buildings to encroach so closely on the already narrow strip of waterfront parkland.

Even if the trail in this section never returns to railway, the park is very very tight.

I think a requirement for a greater buffer (widening of the park) would be appropriate, starting with the statutory take for parkland, but if needs be, having Barrie purchase some additional width as these proposals come forward.

I will say, in the unlikely event that rail resumed here at some point in the future, aside from pretty much obliterating the park space......just imagine the sound of the train at that proximity to the building.

Which, incidentally, would probably trigger a 2-storey tall crash wall these days, wiping out a view of anything but a wall for those on the lowest floors.

Agreed, I had the same gripe with Lakhouse.

Update: The development has been approved for 12 stories instead of the original 15. Will be similar in height to Lakhouse which is currently being built on the other side of the currently standing building.

Back