News   May 10, 2024
 428     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 353     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 441     0 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

Thank goodness.

As if Harper's Cons would really provide any federal funding to the city they despise so much.

As if going into $XXX debt/deficit to fund RoFo's "subway to a Canadian Tire plaza in the middle of nowhere" wasn't bad enough.

Besides, if anything, the love of the IOC for a pro-homophobic country shows us how irrelevant the Olympics has become...

Thank goodness.

As if Harper's Cons would really provide any federal funding to the city they despise so much.

As if going into $XXX debt/deficit to fund RoFo's "subway to a Canadian Tire plaza in the middle of nowhere" wasn't bad enough.

Besides, if anything, the love of the IOC for a pro-homophobic country shows us how irrelevant the Olympics has become...
Same with the FIFA World Cup in said country in 2018.

IOC and FIFA are interested in one thing and one thing only, not the love of sports, but the love of money.

How about we host the winter Olympics, in partnership with Collingwood? Nobody else seems to be interested. https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/o...-host-the-2022-winter-olympics-195531135.html

The Commonwealth Games are having the same problem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Commonwealth_Games#Concerns_over_lack_of_hosting_interest

I hope this trend of people waking up to the scam of mega sporting events continues. Ideally by 2030 the norm will be to re-use venues.

How about we host the winter Olympics, in partnership with Collingwood? Nobody else seems to be interested. https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/o...-host-the-2022-winter-olympics-195531135.html
Great idea! Bids are due November 14, 2013!

That seems to have been written before both Canadian and South African cities bid on the 2022 games.

Last edited:
Great idea! Bids are due November 14, 2013!

That seems to have been written before both Canadian and South African cities bid on the 2022 games.

No, it mentions them, along with the "emergency general meeting" about lack of interest.

Anyway, the point of both of those links is that interest in hosting these types of events in waning. I think that is a good thing.

No, it mentions them, along with the "emergency general meeting" about lack of interest.
The article does, but the text in particular about the concern predates that. Look at the January 28th version of the article for example - http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=2022_Commonwealth_Games&oldid=592791422

Anyway, the point of both of those links is that interest in hosting these types of events in waning. I think that is a good thing.
Yes, I see your point. But remember that it waned after the 1972 Munich massacre and the 1976 Montréal games being out-of-control on costs. Remember than LA was the only city to bid on the 1984 games, when it was awarded in 1978? And there were only two bids in 1981 for the 1988 Seoul games. But then LA pulled off an economical 1984 games that were a huge success, with no disasters or boycotts for the first time since 1968, and suddenly it was cool gain.

The article does, but the text in particular about the concern predates that. Look at the January 28th version of the article for example - http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=2022_Commonwealth_Games&oldid=592791422

What difference does it make? Either way, there has been a lack of interest in hosting these games.

Yes, I see your point. But remember that it waned after the 1972 Munich massacre and the 1976 Montréal games being out-of-control on costs. Remember than LA was the only city to bid on the 1984 games, when it was awarded in 1978? And there were only two bids in 1981 for the 1988 Seoul games. But then LA pulled off an economical 1984 games that were a huge success, with no disasters or boycotts for the first time since 1968, and suddenly it was cool gain.

Whatever. This thread is full of links and sources and discussions about the Olympics scam, and a bunch of posts pointing out exceptions - but only exceptions to part of the scam, e.g. one city will get good use out of ONE Olympic facility after its games, like that somehow makes up for the graveyards of venues scattered around the world. We really don't need to have that discussion again, especially since Toronto has had the good sense not to bid. If anything the lack of interest from other cities shows how wise that decision was.

I'll say this for the IOC: they are very skilled propagandists. People are more willing to see their country go to war than "miss out" on hosting the Olympics.

I'll say this for the IOC: they are very skilled propagandists. People are more willing to see their country go to war than "miss out" on hosting the Olympics.

I don't know if it's the IOC; the actual 'Olympics' seem to be a sideshow to most discussions of hosting the Olympics. The loudest voices seem to be local "dream big" cabals of developers, tourism boards and aggrandizing politicians. The same people seem to support any quasi-event which they can spin as an economic success story.

Surely everyone by now must hold the IOC in disregard. I have trouble thinking of a more disreputable organization. Probably FIFA or the FIA.

Last edited:
Ah yes, I forgot about that ... the Soviet Union boycotting in revenge for the US boycott of the 1980 games. Perhaps that's why the games were such a success in the USA! :)

It was certainly an economic success though, for the first time in a long time.

but usually they are not.

Back