Toronto 2 Queen West | 34.44m | 7s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I'm surprised they're going rental and not condo, but at least that means we shouldn't need to wait for sales. This could potentially start quite soon once they get permits and financing set up.

A hotel on the upper 25 floors would have been nice. (including a restaurant/bar with great views, on the top floor)

Condo sales are not doing that well, but the rental market is very hot. This project makes sense. Parking at that location would probably be impossible, and finally a residential building without useless balconies!

There shouldn't be much resistance to this as it is a rental complex. There has been a concern in the recent past about the lack of rental construction. Hopefully the beings at city hall run this through the hoops with little problem. It looks good from that render anyway.

A few more details:

Cadillac Fairview has engaged Zeidler Partnership Architects here for the tower.

The design at this point is still conceptual. It will change to a degree, and already has somewhat apparently. This can be considered a massing study for the zoning amendment application… because that's what it is!

The tower does not have a shadowing impact on Nathan Phillips Square I am told.

Last edited:
I definitely like the idea of Jamieson's "rounded corner" gradually re-emerging from basically being completely covered up through the mid 20th century. (To now, being only slightly covered up). See the Grid article.

Otherwise I like it. Looks like it gives enough space between it and the Eaton Centre tower?

I would like to see two things: a widening of the sidewalk (they can move the podium building inward as they are probably rebuilding it) and a tower that echoes the other towers of the Eaton Centre. The Massey Tower does a fine job of winking at the towers of Eaton Centre - this should likewise do the same.

Last edited:
It may seem boring, but a replica of 20 Queen West, Eaton Tower or 5 Dundas West with their rounded corners would look better and blend with the rounded corner of the heritage building than what is shown in the render.

At least a rounded corner at the base and maybe deconstructed up top...

Very interesting- I can definitely understand the Hearst Tower comparisons.

I wish they did carry the triangular motif all the way up though.

So do I. I am a bit surprised that opted not to go with a curved corner to match the older building at the base. Great looking building though. Let's hope the glass is more like Delta than AURA, and that the trusses are black.

Back