Mississauga 180 Burnhamthorpe Road West | 230.15m | 71s | Emblem Developments | Arcadis

At this point, I think only big healthy street trees can help with making these streets walkable. Along with reducing lanes, narrowing lanes, reducing speeds adding green medians. I don't think the buildings will frame the road well enough. They are still building new buildings with strange green strips of grass between them and the sidewalk. Not park or amenity space, just weird unnecessary setbacks. It would be better if they were plantings with benches etc.

I can see eventually adding a loop on HuLRT around Square 1 as originally proposed. Not sure there is enough along Burnhamthorpe to support LRT to Islington. And LRT is not great value for money given how slow it is. Perhaps a BRT could be justified eventually, but it would probably be sapped of demand between the Dundas BRT to the south and Transitway along the 403. Really, Dundas BRT could have a branch off that goes up to MCC and connects with Kipling. It would make more sense to hook MCC into GO where you have a hope of getting somewhere inside an hour.
The sidewalks in MCC are quite wide. I disagree that trees make a street more walkable. Of course it’s a nicer visual.

Street trees enhance walkability in the following ways:
  • Enhancing pedestrian safety by creating a barrier between road traffic and pedestrian way
  • Slow traffic speeds by increasing perceived speed for drivers (causing them to slow down)
  • Creating a sense of enclosure (with larger street trees that create a bit of a canopy)
  • Create shade/dappled light for pedestrian comfort on hot days. Wind breaks on windy days
  • Calming effect

I don’t see why burnamthorpe and Dundas couldn’t have BRT. If BRT is so cheap we should be encouraging it in more places in the suburbs.

The sidewalks in MCC are quite wide. I disagree that trees make a street more walkable. Of course it’s a nicer visual.
Wide? Where? I can think of just one street where it's acceptable...but the whole area needs a revamp to better share uses on the existing roadways. Walking in the area presently is unpleasant, and trees will definitely help...I'm somewhat hoping there'll be a few by the Rogers land site...although why they set back the buildings so much is...very odd.

I don’t see why burnamthorpe and Dundas couldn’t have BRT. If BRT is so cheap we should be encouraging it in more places in the suburbs.
Dundas is getting a BRT (almost certainly). There are pretty detailed plans for one from Kipling out to Burlington.

Burnhamthorpe is more of a 'maybe'. I don't think there are any plans for one, and there are not nearly as many trip generators along that corridor, other than MCC. They are cheap, and Burnhamthorpe has plenty of room, at least in the west.

Wide? Where? I can think of just one street where it's acceptable...but the whole area needs a revamp to better share uses on the existing roadways. Walking in the area presently is unpleasant, and trees will definitely help...I'm somewhat hoping there'll be a few by the Rogers land site...although why they set back the buildings so much is...very odd.
The huge setbacks in much of MCC are a problem. Totally kills the street presence. Move the buildings up to the sidewalk and gather up that useless space for parks, etc.

All those new buildings will fill in the gap, nicely..
DJI_0447.jpg

Burnhamthorpe is more of a 'maybe'. I don't think there are any plans for one, and there are not nearly as many trip generators along that corridor, other than MCC. They are cheap, and Burnhamthorpe has plenty of room, at least in the west.

I've always thought building the City centre along Burnhamthorpe was a bad idea. Dundas would've made more sense. Too bad there was that fire at the original township office in 1969!

Dundas is getting a BRT (almost certainly). There are pretty detailed plans for one from Kipling out to Burlington.

Maybe not many generators. But if BRT is so cheap and downtown MCC is on burnamthorpe then it at least offers a cheap option to get to Kipling quickly. A Dundas BRT would ask MCC residents to take a lrt to Dundas. Then a BRT to Kipling and then likely a subway from there. Considering how much anger Scarborough shared about their transfers I don’t see why people would think Mississauga residents would be ok with so many more transfers.

Maybe not many generators. But if BRT is so cheap and downtown MCC is on burnamthorpe then it at least offers a cheap option to get to Kipling quickly. A Dundas BRT would ask MCC residents to take a lrt to Dundas. Then a BRT to Kipling and then likely a subway from there. Considering how much anger Scarborough shared about their transfers I don’t see why people would think Mississauga residents would be ok with so many more transfers.
Might make more sense to have a branch line off the Dundas BRT go up to MCC. Maybe it could even use the Hurontario LRT ROW!

If we're spending any serious money, we should upgrade Milton Line for 2WAD service. Would take MCC residents to Kipling or all the way downtown.

Might make more sense to have a branch line off the Dundas BRT go up to MCC. Maybe it could even use the Hurontario LRT ROW!

If we're spending any serious money, we should upgrade Milton Line for 2WAD service. Would take MCC residents to Kipling or all the way downtown.
Yes I agree with upgrading the Milton line but without that it’s a bit much to expect so many transfers from Mississauga residents trying to start their journey on a subway.

The money was there for the Milton Line, but CP kill the idea. The Milton Line was to be 3 tracks by 2011 and there is only 3 sections that have 3 track now and before 2011

Any talk of a subway in Mississauga is a pure joke as the ridership would be about 3,000 per hour at peak considering only 35,000 use Kipling Hub today from all the routes that feed into it.

Any service to the city centre can be done by a tram-train using the Hurontario Line, but dead until CP allow electrifying the Milton Line or having battery power that last to travel on CP tracks

Anyway, what has this got to do with this site?????

I think the conversation was sparked by noting that MCC is being developed at actually quite high density compared to even very dense developments in Toronto (or dense neighbourhoods globally), and it's not clear that transit is at a level to ensure congestion doesn't become unbearable in the area.

Back