Toronto 164-168 Isabella Street | ?m | 67s | Elysium | Studio JCI

Sayf Hassan, who longtime members will remember from the now-defunct Symmetry Developments, is the proponent behind this.
Oh man! If people would really know the backstory here of Mr. Hassan, I wouldn't have any faith in Elysium or their projects and I feel sorry how he roped in these guys to be the face of the company.

Ok. Go for it.
Interesting how a brand new account opens up the same day as its post claiming to know my personal backstory in counter to the many years of open/transparent posts I’ve made here through the lifespan of the projects I helmed, and the 20+ years I’ve spent working in the industry across various asset classes. Have all of those projects been home-runs? No. No experienced development professional can lay claim to a flawless track record. Have the projects all cared very deeply about built-form, pedestrian realm, city building, modern architecture and interior/urban design? Hell, yes.

For everyone else: no, this is not a zone and flip play. The plans/renders are still preliminary and at a zoning level. The City prefers the the ZBLA/OPA submission to be made in advance of the SPA to be able to meet its response deadlines, so this is not a detailed design drawing set.

The main thrust of our effort here has been the provision of housing supply 300m from a major TTC station and heritage preservation, whilst ensuring that the approved design is feasible. Those familiar with my work know that design - bold but thoughtful and nuanced - has always been/is very sacred to me.

There are a vast number of recent hi-density applications that goal seek for density alone, ignoring construction/market realities. Density is meaningless without viability. And viability, in the absence of design excellence, is not city building.

Still early days but I appreciate the discourse the prelim render has generated, and have great respect for the opinions of the long-standing posters here.

Interesting how a brand new account opens up the same day as its post claiming to know my personal backstory in counter to the many years of open/transparent posts I’ve made here through the lifespan of the projects I helmed, and the 20+ years I’ve spent working in the industry across various asset classes. Have all of those projects been home-runs? No. No experienced development professional can lay claim to a flawless track record. Have the projects all cared very deeply about built-form, pedestrian realm, city building, modern architecture and interior/urban design? Hell, yes.

For everyone else: no, this is not a zone and flip play. The plans/renders are still preliminary and at a zoning level. The City prefers the the ZBLA/OPA submission to be made in advance of the SPA to be able to meet its response deadlines, so this is not a detailed design drawing set.

The main thrust of our effort here has been the provision of housing supply 300m from a major TTC station and heritage preservation, whilst ensuring that the approved design is feasible. Those familiar with my work know that design - bold but thoughtful and nuanced - has always been/is very sacred to me.

There are a vast number of recent hi-density applications that goal seek for density alone, ignoring construction/market realities. Density is meaningless without viability. And viability, in the absence of design excellence, is not city building.

Still early days but I appreciate the discourse the prelim render has generated, and have great respect for the opinions of the long-standing posters here.

First, let me echo @ProjectEnd in welcoming your return here.

I also wish to express appreciation for the insights into where the project sits in the design and approval process.

The importance of someone who cares about what they do; listens to and engages w/others, should never be undervalued. There are many members here I respect and like, who aren't always on the same page as I on any given question, particularly the subjective matter of aesthetics.

That said, when one can engage in an honest, and thoughtful exchange of views, things almost always come out the better for it; even if, in some cases, the disagreement may remain.

Another from Elysium's site:

Weston and Finch
feature-weston.jpg

elysiuminvestments.ca

What looks like faceted curtain-wall at grade.

gallery-weston-02.jpg

elysiuminvestments.ca

Sayf! Great to have you back! I was trying to @ the old Symmetry account in a post above, but it didn't seem to exist anymore...

Is there anything further you can share about this one in advance of submission? Height? Architect?
What a nice welcome! Great to be back (officially, that is - I’m never too far from a UT read).
67s, Studio JCI.
Will post updates as this evolves. We have a couple of other projects that will be announced shortly as well.

First, let me echo @ProjectEnd in welcoming your return here.

I also wish to express appreciation for the insights into where the project sits in the design and approval process.

The importance of someone who cares about what they do; listens to and engages w/others, should never be undervalued. There are many members here I respect and like, who aren't always on the same page as I on any given question, particularly the subjective matter of aesthetics.

That said, when one can engage in an honest, and thoughtful exchange of views, things almost always come out the better for it; even if, in some cases, the disagreement may remain.
@Northern Light Nailed it. My favorite aspect of UT is that it isn’t an eco chamber. Just a collection of passionately personal POVs to engage with.
Many thanks for the note.

Article in Renx on this one:

Back