Toronto 159SW Condos | 118.87m | 36s | Alterra | Richmond Architects

There we go. Strong podium, looks like there's lots of glass at ground level, and the tower has an interesting shape/texture. I'd like to see a ground floor plan, but so far it looks good. Hope they get approved.

Edit: Is 220m^2 non-residential space at grade planning-speak for ground floor retail?

It would be cool if the curved podium is black brick like Panorama at CityPlace.

Hopefully the strong colours make it to the final tower and are not just tinted glass (M5V Condos) but actual panels.

Where do those trees come from across the street from the project and those town homes in the foreground don't exist either. The rendering seems OK, I'd rather they follow the curve in the road as CN's great sketchup's indicate.

Looks like I wasn't the only who noticed? The sign was still sticky with fresh paint! lol

10eda48f.jpg

From my Phone

Ah, good, DC83, you saved me a trip back over there to get a clearer photo of that little rendering :).

I wonder how much resemblance the finished product will bear to that picture anyway? I mean, it's still pretty early in the process right?

I like the non-box geometry of the proposal a lot, however I will caution those who are holding their breath for the coloured glass panels, while some 'accents' may be realistic, it will be very difficult for them to sell the units when a condo unit has ALL coloured stained glass windows (ie: corner unit), unless the purchaser likes to feel like living in a church ~ that is probably the reason why M5V toned it down a bit @ implementation

At 38s, this building will still only appear slightly higher than 500 Sherbourne, because it's a pretty steep slope on that section of Sherbourne.

I wonder how much further south the high density stuff is going to creep. It would be interesting to see what can be done around Allen Gardens, especially those ~5s apartment buildings on the northeast corner of Sherbourne and Carlton.

I like the non-box geometry of the proposal a lot, however I will caution those who are holding their breath for the coloured glass panels, while some 'accents' may be realistic, it will be very difficult for them to sell the units when a condo unit has ALL coloured stained glass windows (ie: corner unit), unless the purchaser likes to feel like living in a church ~ that is probably the reason why M5V toned it down a bit @ implementation

Are you suggesting that what is rendered will not be built? ;-)

Maybe the developer will offer exterior glass tones to compliment the buyers plans/colour palette for their suite accents. Hopefully the end product will be green glass because I would enjoy a glass of that whine.

Actually, you'll note that the rendering shows many normal glass panes to provide normal windows for the units behind the coloured section. The coloured pieces look like panels, not tinted glass.

Perhaps the builder will supply the window coverings in the colour pattern shown. Many condos come with those roll down sunscreens pre-installed, so perhaps they are white on the inside but coloured in a pattern on the outside.

May 21
I hope those 3 buildings/stores to the south are part of this project as they need to go.
5744912005_c71656b9e4_b.jpg

5744905349_3246b9ea6c_b.jpg

5745449796_421548e8b3_b.jpg

5744915915_afa760c83a_b.jpg

May 21
I hope those 3 buildings/stores to the south are part of this project as they need to go.

Why do they "need to go"? They are decent old buildings that set a precedent for the urban scale of the podium and provide space for small- scale businesses to serve all those new condo dwellers... They also provide a bit of historic fabric for the area.

Back