Toronto 1521 Queen West | 29.95m | 8s | BSäR Group | Core Architects

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

1521 QUEEN ST W
Ward 04 - Tor & E.York District

Zoning By-law Amendment to facilitate redevelopment of the site with an 8-storey mixed-use building: 78 residential units (5,622.92 square metres of residential gross floor area) and retail uses at grade (300.42 square metres).

-----------------------------

Parkdale area development, and would replace this building between Beaty and WIlson Park.

Some background on this property:

1521 Queen St W, also known as the Queen's Hotel, was put up for sale back in 2010 for around $2,795,000:

CBC article about the tenant evictions in 2015:

The first development right in the scuzzy heart of Parkdale - good luck getting this past Gord Perks.

Have to wait and see massing and renders, but sounds like a very reasonably scaled proposal, replacing a less than stellar building.

There's a couple parking lots along the north side of Queen heading towards Roncy that I've always felt were suitable for mid-rise development, but unfortunately nothing ever took off. The one across from this proposal at the corner of Queen & Callender became a municipal Green P lot a few years after the previously vacated strip mall got demolished, and I'd imagine that'll remain that way for a while.

The lot at Queen & Triller further west used to have signage that advertised potential for a commercial building, although not a very good looking rendering from what I recall. Seems like that sign has been removed for some time now, but that lot remains sitting underused as a U-Haul parking ground.

There's a couple parking lots along the north side of Queen heading towards Roncy that I've always felt were suitable for mid-rise development, but unfortunately nothing ever took off. The one across from this proposal at the corner of Queen & Callender became a municipal Green P lot a few years after the previously vacated strip mall got demolished, and I'd imagine that'll remain that way for a while.

The lot at Queen & Triller further west used to have signage that advertised potential for a commercial building, although not a very good looking rendering from what I recall. Seems like that sign has been removed for some time now, but that lot remains sitting underused as a U-Haul parking ground.

Even the U-Haul is gone.

This is a much needed development in that area.But this is Social Justice HQ and people protest everything here so curious to see what
kind of opposition gets cooked up around this project.

The size of the building is just about right. I only wish they'd replace the white and grey (brick?) with brown.

This can use a little bit of warm tones at the base, otherwise very appropriate for the context. I would even say that i can be another story taller. This area needs some TLC.

This would transform the entire feel of the immediate area. I see pitchforks in the distance...

People literally threw bricks through the windows of the 1181 Queen sales centre the other day “defending Parkdale” so yeah I’d imagine this one will have a rough go.

I like the design. It’s really simple and looks like it would be hard to screw up execution wise.

People literally threw bricks through the windows of the 1181 Queen sales centre the other day “defending Parkdale” so yeah I’d imagine this one will have a rough go.

I like the design. It’s really simple and looks like it would be hard to screw up execution wise.

The irony being that 1181 Queen isn't even technically in Parkdale!

Back