News   May 08, 2024
 309     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 674     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 553     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

They may even articulate the T1's...

If by "articulate" you mean rebuild them with open gangways like the TRs, than nope. There are two large collision posts on either side of the end doors that aren't going to go anywhere.

And by the way - the TRs are not articulated. An articulated vehicle has a structural connection between two (or more) rigid sections that prevents operation independently. And while you are not going to see a TR car operate by itself, you can remove one car and not have it fall to the ground.

and ATC them as well.

And nope. The whole point of the TR purchase - particularly the quantity - is to negate the need to install the ATC system on them. Now, when the B-D comes up for re-signalling in 10 years or so they may have to revisit that, but at the same time at that point the T1s will be getting close to retirement.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What will happen with the T1s then? I have to wonder how they will be updated to current standards...

Current how? In terms of signage? That's hardly a big deal - take the same signs from the TRs, install them above some of the doorways, install some wiring, connect them to a logic controller, and plug them into the feed from the SCS wayside beacons.

In terms of anything else: how are they "not current"?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

slightly off topic here, but i was on a T1 today and realized that the breaking has somewhat improved (didn't hear any screeching sounds). not sure if it's just this train that got the special treatment, or is it just the fact that the ttc has finally realized that the breaks on the T1 is horrendous and needs to be repaired...

New brake shoes are being used.

Since then, all of the first 20 trainsets are now in service. Trainset 21 (558x) is currently undergoing its 800km test, and trainset 22 (559x) is being delivered and assembled.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Does that 800 Kms of testing include picking up sheared motor bolts? lol
What a piece of crap these cars are, they are going to be a nightmare and a disasterto maintain and keep in service.

The T1's may very well be replaced when a set of T3's come out, and probably go on the Yonge Line, so the other lines can then get these TR's.

Toronto’s new Rocket subway trains malfunctioning
San Grewal
Urban Affairs Reporter

TTC boss Andy Byford wants to know why his brand new Rocket subway trains are consistently running late.

And he wants the problem fixed.

TTC spokesperson Mike DeToma confirmed that Byford has an emergency meeting on Friday with the brass of Montreal-based Bombardier, who made the 27 trains already received by the TTC. Many of the doors are reportedly malfunctioning, causing the routine delays.

“A high level CEO to CEO meeting is being arranged to allow the TTC to impress upon Bombardier the need for substantial improvement in the performance of the (Rockets) as current performance is unacceptable,” Byford wrote in a recent report.

The trains in service are running on the Yonge-University-Spadina line. In all, 70 Rocket “trainsets” with six cars each will be put into service by 2014, at a cost of between $500-600 million.

Byford will meet with Bombardier CEO Pierre Beaudoin to hopefully resolve the problem.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1297129--toronto-s-new-rocket-subway-trains-malfunctioning

Does anybody on UT have any insider information on what exactly is malfunctioning on our Toronto Rockets? I know what there were, and continue to be some issues with doors and that the LED maps seem to be turned off on some sets occasionally (not sure if driver error) but beyond that I haven't heard or seen anything.

Does anybody on UT have any insider information on what exactly is malfunctioning on our Toronto Rockets? I know what there were, and continue to be some issues with doors and that the LED maps seem to be turned off on some sets occasionally (not sure if driver error) but beyond that I haven't heard or seen anything.

2-7+ seconds delay for the doors to open after the train has come to a full stop. Multiply that delay by X stations and you will see large gaps with T1/H's trans bunch up behind it. The delays are taking a train out of service for moving riders with lower ridership/hr than the old fleet. Seen 5-10 minute gap's for 3 minute headway.

I'm glad to hear they're at least discussing the issue and also that the TTC agrees this is a problem. The delay between trains is noticeable in rush hour, eg nb at College between 4:15 and 5:30 or so. Anyway, I'm glad that the TTC isn't just calling this a "feature" and making all trains (T1 and older) wait 5 sec before opening doors; the cynic in me thinks they might have done this in the past.

The door control procedure is different on the TRs. Why they didn't just make the door controls the same as on all the previous cars ? - it worked for the past few decades, but I guess someone had to invent something "new and improved" without realizing the impact it would have.

Back