News   Jun 04, 2024
 207     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 1.3K     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I admit I don't ride the subway that often but I've yet to see the new one. How many sets of cars are running? Odds tell me that I should have been on one by now or at least seen one pulling away from a station or passing me by in a tunnel, but nope.

When are more scheduled to arrive?

more like unluck... I still see a H series during rush hour but every subway trip I've taken since Saturday has been on one of the rockets.

Saw one of the new trains with a busted door today. They put a red curtain over the entrance so that people will know the door is out of service.

Guess the doors on the new train didn't last that long.

Saw one of the new trains with a busted door today. They put a red curtain over the entrance so that people will know the door is out of service.

Guess the doors on the new train didn't last that long.

Considering the morons and mouth-breathers who take the subway and do things like charge and hold the doors, you're at all surprised?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Considering the morons and mouth-breathers who take the subway and do things like charge and hold the doors, you're at all surprised?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Had a great announcement on one of the new trains yesterday -- operator comes on after two or three automated 'mind the doors' calls and says, "Yes, that's what happens when you don't get out of the way of the door." Too funny!

One thing I'll say about the new trains -- very disorienting effect looking down the train, as my eye is expecting the end of the car and it goes on 'forever' -- feels like you're looking in a series of funhouse mirrors...

Last edited:

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Then they go complain on Twitter and Facebook that the operator "closed the door on them". It's hilarious.

With all the new TR on the line now, we see this and the count down clock starts on the H5's:
The oldest subway train in the TTC fleet, the H4, makes its last run tomorrow on the Bloor-Danforth line. You know the one – it has no AC

For those interested, the last trip of the H4 leaves Kennedy Stn. at approx. 7:45 a.m.for Kipling, then back. Just the one trip.

Last edited:
According to Brad Ross, our favourite piece of the 1970s will be making its last run on the B-D line tomorrow AM.

"Run 64 leaving Greenwood eastbound to Kennedy at 7:27 AM. Then to Kipling, and back to Greenwood. One trip."

Colour-coding the train interiors would, of course, in principle limit what line the trains could run on, and thus reduce operational flexibility.

Indeed. Consider for a moment the current fleet. From what I've read, the H5s have run on both lines, the H6s were run only on the B-D line and the T1s were delivered to the YUS line but transferred to the B-D line and now, of course, run on the Sheppard line as well. Granted, as far as I can tell, once married pair is assigned to a carhouse, it won't move around the system except in unusual circumstances, so theoretically they could swap out interior features in a car to fit the line that it's running on. However, that would be costly and doesn't do much for the T1s that run on the Sheppard line that are shared with the YUS line.

According to Brad Ross, our favourite piece of the 1970s will be making its last run on the B-D line tomorrow AM.

"Run 64 leaving Greenwood eastbound to Kennedy at 7:27 AM. Then to Kipling, and back to Greenwood. One trip."

Sad. I knew the end was nigh as I was seeing fewer and fewer of them in service on the line. I was trying to take in as much as I could of each journey knowing that it could be the last. However, I always thought that they would have stuck around a little bit longer. I think I'll miss the H6s the most when they're gone.

Well, it's now 9:36am, so I guess in a way that's the end of an era. This was the last of this type of train that, arguably, began with the H1s in the mid-60s. While the nomenclature lives on (for now) with the H5s and H6s, those have bigger differences than those between the H1 through H4 and have noticeably different body stylings.

Hawker 4, no more

Their retirement actually got more attention than I thought it would. Toronto Star, CBC, and Citytv were aboard, and Brad Ross even came for a ride. There were quite a few cameras, many SLRs. Even operators were snapping photos as the train pulled into stations. For every person that loves these cars, there is another who absolutely hates them.

Back