Toronto 12° / 12 Degrees Condos | 35.66m | 11s | BSäR Group | Core Architects

And he didn't have anything better to say about the building (“It’s awful,” he said as he perused a concept drawing online, then braked slightly to offer the benefit of the doubt. “It’s probably some young architectural firm.” ).

One just has to laugh.

It's as if he was so determined not to have the house saved or have his connection to his remembered that he acted like a jerk. It almost makes me want to forget the whole thing, except that his impact on Western culture was important, that I think that for historical reasons, it's important to save reminders of his connection to our city regardless of his thoughts on the endeavor.

Haha, what a douchebag. Ignorant too. His comments really suggest his recognition has gone straight to his head. I'd hardly call 12 Degrees terrible, well, except for the name. But I've come to expect nothing more than garbage from any creative attempt at naming a condo.

The irony, given the dissing, is that this rather overwrought looking building - twisting this way and that as it tries to please - is pure Gehry-spawn in its determination to stand out. The site, just downwind of the AGO and OCAD, could gull any number of architects who see the location as no place for the pee-shy into doing much the same.

Haha, what a douchebag. Ignorant too. His comments really suggest his recognition has gone straight to his head. I'd hardly call 12 Degrees terrible, well, except for the name. But I've come to expect nothing more than garbage from any creative attempt at naming a condo.

Well, I can't say his opinion-mongering is *that* out-of-line--in the bigger picture, this *is* next-generation cliche, no less so than all the glassy office towers that sprung up on Park Avenue post-Lever/Seagram. Doesn't mean it's horrible for what it is; but when you've a starchitect's ego, it still ain't good enough.

Though I find his plaque-in-the-lobby comment rather snide--but in fact, he has a point, perhaps without even grasping it. That is, if you want to commemorate where he was born, *don't* bury it in a condo lobby; have it (whatever "it" is) outside, where casual passerby like you and I can see it...

From the Globe article where TSAR Group reacts:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...r-condo-slight-developer-says/article1655307/

The Globe and Mail: Your company is demolishing the former home of Frank Gehry’s grandparents, where the renowned architect spent a lot of time as a child, and putting up a condo that Gehry described as “awful.” How did it feel when you heard what he had to say?

Tyler Hershberg: Frank Gehry favours curved spaces. I don’t think you’re going to find many condo buildings in this city or any other city that Frank Gehry would approve of.

The Globe and Mail: What’s it like to be called out by the man some people believe to be the world’s greatest living architect?

Hershberg: Actually, Gehry sent an unsolicited letter today to the building’s architects (Core Architects) apologizing for what he said and explaining that he hadn’t seen the building, just an early artist concept.

Globe: Does Frank Gehry have questionable taste in condos?

Hershberg: We’re talking about art. It’s people’s taste.

The Globe interviewer was kind of an arse hole. Clueless or out for a scoop?

As for the plaque thing - what living person actually wants to be commemorated by a plaque? Doesn't that basically mean you are dead and have nothing else to contribute - hence the fact your accomplishments can be summarized in plaque form?

As for the plaque thing - what living person actually wants to be commemorated by a plaque? Doesn't that basically mean you are dead and have nothing else to contribute - hence the fact your accomplishments can be summarized in plaque form?

Once one realizes it's all in the wording, it needn't be such a problem. Besides, it isn't so much a raw plaque being objected to as a "plaque in a condo lobby"--if you have to commemorate, do it out in the open, in a reasonably public sphere. And, "plaques if necessary, but not necessarily plaques", to paraphrase Mackenzie King. There's other ways. (And for Gawd sakes, not a "John Lyle studio" kind of "other way"--that's just about the best argument *against* token, arbitrary retention that you can find.)

Though given the nabe, I do wonder if there've been other illustrious-esque tenants here: artists, punk musicians, etc...

Some creative and cheap advertising for this condo

12bev1.jpg

12bev2.jpg

Had a closer look at these heritage buildings yesterday, and Gehry is absolutely correct that they are utterly unremarkable and not worth preserving, despite their age (1858). The row of Victorian homes directly north of these row houses are far more deserving (not that they're part of this devlopment - I'm just saying for comparison' sake)

Back