Toronto 1113-1125 Dundas Street West | 35.5m | 10s | CreateTO | Brook McIlroy

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Councillor Cressy has a letter in to the June 28th meeting of Planning and Housing Ctte.

In that letter he advises that these lands, one existing building, and an existing Green P lot would make an excellent opportunity for Affordable Housing and seeks to direct staff
to take the measures required that would make that possible.

Report here: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.PH25.20

Letter here: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ph/bgrd/backgroundfile-168134.pdf

Site here: (aerial view)

1624291698959.png

This is just west of Ossington, south side.

Streetview here:

1624291750684.png

Not to get too sidetracked........

But think of the City building opportunities on this lot:

1624295605592.png

4 acres of land, not counting the adjacent, privately-owned parking lot, which should also go.

This is one of the rare areas in the City that doesn't need a ton of new parkland, particularly of the table land variety.

So I'd rather take cash-in-lieu here to expand nearby park space where it would be more useful.

Then you can address housing, but also, perhaps, a Community Recreation Centre on the bottom 2 levels, which would make great sense adjacent to a large park.

I think I'll start a thread (after seeing if we have one) for best candidate Green P lots for redevelopment.

Summary of Cressy's statement:

I have written to the City's Planning and Housing Committee to begin work on transforming the City-owned surface parking lot at 1117 Dundas Street West into new affordable rental units.

We desperately need more rental housing in our city that people at all income levels can afford. By leveraging City-owned parking lots like this one (near the intersection of Dundas and Ossington), we can create new housing that can be fully affordable and operated in partnership with a local non-profit organization.

If approved, my recommendations will call on the Housing Secretariat and CreateTO to report back this fall with an update and work plan on how to activate this site for 100% affordable housing, and issue a call for proposals to identify a non-profit housing operator.

Creating new affordable rental housing in our communities is how we ensure that they are vibrant, diverse, and accessible. You can read my letter to the Committee here.

I look forward to providing updates on this initiative as they become available. There will be public meetings to discuss a planning proposal once work advances to that stage of detail. Sign up for my email newsletter to stay up to date: https://www.joecressy.com/newsletter

That's a rather long wait for the next report. Hopefully when it comes around, they'll be able to get in a good midrise with a healthy amount of units.

That's a rather long wait for the next report. Hopefully when it comes around, they'll be able to get in a good midrise with a healthy amount of units.

Yeah, it's not like there's a housing crisis or anything. Take your time guys!

Based on the Technical Assessments for this site - that our volunteers did with a recent RYSURP STUDIO team - we have to assume that the proposed massing for 100-units will be in the 10-storey range...

PLG720_HousingNowTO_Final Report_Scenarios.PNG

Any idea what they are referring to when they say non-profit affordable housing? Is it shelter/transition housing or something like options for homes/habitat for humanity?

Any idea what they are referring to when they say non-profit affordable housing? Is it shelter/transition housing or something like options for homes/habitat for humanity?
No details yet - but assume that it will be neither of the "non-profit affordable housing" options suggested above. It will likely be "workforce rental housing" like the majority of the Affordable-Rental units in the HOUSING NOW program.

CITY_AFFORDABLE_RENT_BANDS_PROPOSED_2021_highlight.png

...for annual household incomes between $30,000 - $75,000...

Rent_and_Affordabilty_202009_HousingTO_PLAN.png

...the City and their not-for-profit Partner(s) might be able to provide 10 to 20 of the proposed 100 units at lower income bands/rents by applying direct rent-subsidy to some of the units.

All of those details are to be confirmed as the project moves along thru the City Planning process this year.

Back