Toronto 1099 Broadview | 37.08m | 10s | Crombie | RAW Design

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New to the AIC is this application for 1099 Broadview Avenue, which is on the east side, north of Westwood (second block north of Mortimer)

Site as-is, per Streetview:

1687865600573.png

The App:

1687865645958.png

From the above:

1687865732991.png

1687865778746.png

1687865822747.png

1687865883185.png

Site Plan:

1687865977929.png

1687866025845.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1687866198526.png

Parking Ratio: .59

Elevator Ratio: 1.04 per 100 units

Comments:

The height ask here is entirely reasonable, with proposed/approved precedents at 7-11s in similar conditions and a 23-storey building a block away, the only question is one of transition/overlook to adjacent SFH.

The parking ratio is way high for this site. It's well served by multiple bus routes (4) with an effective service of every 5M or better much of the day, it will also be a 1km walk to the Ontario Line at Cosburn and is a 1km walk to Broadview Stn..
Parking should come down by 1/2

Architecture, for RAW? Not bad really. I want to nitpick about the way they've laid out the ground floor, but otherwise pretty decent.

But but but........ Useless Park Alert!!!
They propose an on-site dedication of ~4,000ft2

A park small enough to fit just 4 trees.......... give me a break!

Lets look at the Block Context Plan here:

1687867002179.png

Look at that tiny fragment of green on the site!

Now there is one other very small park, right across the street, also useless in its current form.......where they could just buy the house next door and actually help make that park useful.

Or, there's a proposed park site a block to the north, also very small, which could also be added to to give it critical mass.

I just finished killing off one dumb useless park in this area, now I have to go kill another.

Ahem Bousfields........ I know you're reading this...........stop giving both of us extra work!

No parks under 4000m2 (1 acre) ever. For further clarity, not once, not even in a century. If you can't do an acre, you add to an existing or proposed park that will be.

Pretty meh. Very 2007 cookie cutter. But hey, I'll take the mid-rise density.
Looks like every other midrise in development in Burlington, or Oakville, or Oshawa, or Vaughan, or Markham, or Richmond Hill, or Pickering, or Barrie, or Hamilton, or Kitchener, or any other main throughfare in the city of Toronto...

lol?

Pretty meh. Very 2007 cookie cutter. But hey, I'll take the mid-rise density.
Looks like every other midrise in development in Burlington, or Oakville, or Oshawa, or Vaughan, or Markham, or Richmond Hill, or Pickering, or Barrie, or Hamilton, or Kitchener, or any other main throughfare in the city of Toronto...

lol?

Is it going to win lots of awards? No.

But is it really like all the rest? Look again........... no spandrel, masonry all the way up; none of that KirKor lets squeeze in 4 or more motifs either.

It's competent.

If it wasn't monochromatic I'd be a fan. Otherwise it's not too bad, fairly coherent in its design.

If it wasn't monochromatic I'd be a fan. Otherwise it's not too bad, fairly coherent in its design.

Not to be pedantic, but I believe it's dichromatic. There are 2 colours showing, one on the podium and one up top.

Make it all red brick and we're in business.

I would prefer that myself; but in the context of some of the designs we see......I'm less plaintive.

Also looks like this one benefits from the relaxed angular plane regs?

It doesn't show evidence of angular plane at the front, there are some step downs at the rear; but less pronounced that they might have been.

Was at the Dollarama this week!

I do not like the proposed building. Very unappealing.

Is this a proposed rental building?

Irresponsibly bad application from the landowner or their consultant. This is obviously a two tower site. What an incredible display of fiduciary incompetence.

Irresponsibly bad application from the landowner or their consultant. This is obviously a two tower site. What an incredible display of fiduciary incompetence.
🤣 wait until Loblaws on their site south of Danforth on Broadview revises their single tower plan to propose just this!

Back