News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 297     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 837     0 

Too easy to get a driver's license?

I've always felt there should be a tiered licensing system (beyond the current G1, G2, G format) in which advancing to a certain level would allow for greater freedoms on the roads, such as travelling at higher speeds. Progressing to a higher tier would become more difficult as you advanced as per the difficulty of the driving test itself.

Someone wishing to travel 120-130 on the 400 series should (justifiably) have to put in more time and exemplify they can travel safely at such speeds. Having a lower tier license would cap drivers at certain speeds on our highways until they progressed further, which would (hopefully) translate to greater lane discipline i.e. slower traffic keep right. Driving faster than your designated speed or in the wrong lane would be accompanied by the appropriate fine(s).

^Would you have to display what level of license you had? A flag from the radio antennae, perhaps?

^Would you have to display what level of license you had? A flag from the radio antennae, perhaps?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I know novice drivers in BC have large 'N' sticker plastered on the back of their vehicles. Perhaps colour coded license plate stickers would be more apt.

Last edited:
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I know novice drivers in BC have large 'N' stickera plastered on the back of their vehicles. Perhaps colour coded license plate stickers would be more apt.
Was not being sarcastic...it is a real issue with any tiered licensing proposal.....sure you can have stickers but those go with the car not the driver.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I know novice drivers in BC have large 'N' stickera plastered on the back of their vehicles. Perhaps colour coded license plate stickers would be more apt.

I do remember that Ontario had an 'N' novices card that you where suppose to put in your back window. However it seems to have just disappeared for reasons unknown.

Was not being sarcastic...it is a real issue with any tiered licensing proposal.....sure you can have stickers but those go with the car not the driver.

Well in that case you definitely raise a valid point. There would have to be a solution to that dilemma with tiered licensing as most modern vehicles aren't even built with old school radio antennas anymore. First and foremost your actual license would indicate your licensing tier but as for the vehicle, perhaps each driver would have to place some sort of card on the dash or back window similar to what CodeMonkey has suggested.

I think in order to implement such a tiered system, there would have to be a paradigm shift in the policing system on our roads with a shift away from a "speed kills" mentality to actually enforcing proper lane discipline and etiquette between drivers. I know the OPP do pull over slower drivers who impede traffic on the 400 series from time to time (heard from a friend about an Asian woman in traffic court who was travelling 70 on the highway), but a tiered system would definitely shift the focus away from actual speed towards enforcing a more efficient style of driving. That said, I believe there should be harsher fines for excessive speeding (40-50 km/h+ over the limit) .

If done right, the implementation of a tiered system could potentially generate enough revenue for the province and municipalities to offset any loses from a reduction in speeding tickets, that is if the MTO charge enough for the actual testing and licenses themselves.

I think in order to implement such a tiered system, there would have to be a paradigm shift in the policing system on our roads with a shift away from a "speed kills" mentality to actually enforcing proper lane discipline and etiquette between drivers. I know the OPP do pull over slower drivers who impede traffic on the 400 series from time to time (heard from a friend about an Asian woman in traffic court who was travelling 70 on the highway), but a tiered system would definitely shift the focus away from actual speed towards enforcing a more efficient style of driving. That said, I believe there should be harsher fines for excessive speeding (40-50 km/h+ over the limit) .

Perhaps I'm reading into this wrong, but why is it necessary to note her continent of origin?

Reactions: PL1
Perhaps I'm reading into this wrong, but why is it necessary to note her continent of origin?

Context. I should have elaborated more: she spoke little English (had an interpreter) so she was probably relatively new to Canada and most likely didn't fully understand the rules of the road on 400 series highways. My main point being that was my first time hearing of someone being ticketed for driving too slow on the highway, but I'm sure it happens frequently enough. The MTO even has electronic signage that says "Slower traffic keep right" which is a step in the right direction.

Pure reaction time degrades, yes. But experience and maturity compensates, up to some point. Insurance rates drop with age - "Grey power" rates are much lower than what a 30-year-old pays. Then, at some point, physical and mental decline takes over.

Unfortunately, driving habits degrade too, even for diligent drivers. Periodic requalification would be a good thing to address this.

- Paul

Two of the latest incidents which come to mind. 60+ drivers probably leads the category of most sidewalk or parking lot fatalities.

Not sure that the issue is getting a license; it's too easy to keep one (particularly after driving infractions). The man that killed those three children and their grandfather in Vaughan on Sunday had multiple infractions involving driving and drinking (though never at the same time).

It's more than possible to lead a fully productive life without a driver's license. Driving is a privilege; it needs to be taken away when someone proves themselves a nuisance (///a mortal danger to perfectly innocent strangers).

Not sure that the issue is getting a license; it's too easy to keep one (particularly after driving infractions). The man that killed those three children and their grandfather in Vaughan on Sunday had multiple infractions involving driving and drinking (though never at the same time).

It's more than possible to lead a fully productive life without a driver's license. Driving is a privilege; it needs to be taken away when someone proves themselves a nuisance (///a mortal danger to perfectly innocent strangers).

That guy had a speeding offence, a public intoxication offence and a phone/drive offence on his record. That should raise a red flag. So should major speed-limit violations: convictions for speeding and/or street racing should automatically result in corrective education.

Some Australian states have penalties for 'hooning' (reckless driving/speeding/burnouts, etc,) that involve cars being seized and then either sold ... or crushed.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...repeat-offenders/story-fni6uo1m-1226741829924

Driver licences have become the de-facto identification card in Ontario since 2008, forcing most people to get a drivers licence in order to pickup packages, open bank or credit accounts, etc. Ontario does have the "Ontario Photo Card" that is suppose to-do the same, but most business don't recognize it. I have a friend who has it, and Canada Post gives him a hard time now and again because it isn't on "the list" of approved ID.

Another problem in Ontario is that we let the auto insurance companies enforce good behaviour, have infractions on your record and your premiums increase to the point that you can't afford to drive. Good in theory, but if you have money then it does really impact on you.

Driver licences have become the de-facto identification card in Ontario since 2008, forcing most people to get a drivers licence in order to pickup packages, open bank or credit accounts, etc. Ontario does have the "Ontario Photo Card" that is suppose to-do the same, but most business don't recognize it. I have a friend who has it, and Canada Post gives him a hard time now and again because it isn't on "the list" of approved ID.

Another problem in Ontario is that we let the auto insurance companies enforce good behaviour, have infractions on your record and your premiums increase to the point that you can't afford to drive. Good in theory, but if you have money then it does really impact on you.

My driver's license has been expired for a while, and I've gotten on perfectly fine with just an OHIP photo card in my wallet. I haven't opened a bank account in a long time, but I think a passport would do the trick. Anyway, I'm talking about people with a proven record of driving without regard to public safety, not someone with a speeding ticket or 2. I think the slight inconvenience to the person who loses their license is greatly outweighed by the need for protecting innocent lives on the road.

You're right, that is a problem... I'm sure paying off 6 $200 tickets wasn't a big issue to Marco Muzzo, the grandson of a billionaire. Too bad the province couldn't confiscate and crush his car, Aussie style :D

Back