224     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 622     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 524     1 

There May be a Surplus in the Budget, not deficit

E

ecsider

:wtf: I tell ya, fuzzy accounting as usual.....

Sorbara admits Tories balanced Ontario's books

Canadian Press

TORONTO — Ontario's defeated Tory government did balance the books this past fiscal year, Finance Minister Greg Sorbara admitted Thursday.

Sorbara had said a day earlier that a final accounting would show 2002-03 ended up in the red to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars despite boasts by the Tories of a $524-million surplus.

"I double-checked my information and I wasn't entirely accurate," Sorbara said in an interview.

While the projected excess has "shrunk very significantly," there is likely still "a small surplus, not a deficit," he said, adding the books have yet to be closed on the year.

Final financial numbers for the fiscal year that ended this past March 31 are expected in a few weeks as the Finance Ministry puts the definitive tallies to revenues and expenses.

Sorbara said he would have more to say on the reason for the shrinking surplus when he presents the public accounts in the legislature, likely toward the end of the month or early next month.

Sorbara's initial comments prompted scorn from Tory Leader Ernie Eves, who accused the Liberals of inventing "Creative Accounting 101."

The issue of Tory budgeting has been a hot topic since former auditor Erik Peters revealed recently the province faces a shortfall of $5.6 billion for the current fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2004.

Peters' assessment came after months of denials from the defeated government that it was running a deficit.

Eves, who was premier when the Tories brought down their budget in March, said SARS, the big blackout and an economic downturn did throw the initial projections out of whack.

However, he said Peters' projection was heavily inflated and that a re-elected Tory government would have balanced the books. The Liberals were manipulating the numbers for political gain, Eves said.

The poor fiscal outlook for this year has prompted the new Liberal government to break an election promise to keep an electricity price cap in place until 2006 and warn that other pledges will be delayed.

Sorbara said he will likely present an economic statement within in the next few weeks.

"It's a new government, different economic priorities, and a different economic environment than we had anticipated," he said.

So the glorious fault free Liberals, on the basis of a non- existent debt, will not be able to increase spending on programs promised to. Where's the problem?
:tup:
The question, of course, is "Which Liberals do we blame for this?" The answer, this time, is the provincial Liberals.
The provincial Liberals are going to be in more and more trouble as more and more people who voted for them think "I didn't vote for this!" - and that thinking is the result of the Liberals trying to be all things to all people all the time. As a result, every promise they keep has a matching promise that they break (If you say 'We'll do X" to group A, and then say "We'll never do X" to group B, you can't be surprised when group A or B is reconsidering support in the next election.)

The whole thing is hilarious!

The liberals tried to "push" more stuff into the current budget (bring foward expenses) with the help of a compliant auditor.... so that they would have an excuse for not keeping all there promises.... Looks like someone wasn't co-operating!

So the glorious fault free Liberals, on the basis of a non- existent debt, will not be able to increase spending on programs promised to. Where's the problem?

:lol

What can I say? I'm an Are-Be apologist and not ashamed of it.

:lol

Okay, are you Torys really that desperate?

2002/2003 budget - last year's budget which involved a slim surplus, which the Liberals were suggesting might be a deficit in the end.
2003/2004 budget - this year's budget (under which we are operating) involves a massive deficit, no matter how you cut it. The Torys were still doing a shitty job under Eves of running the government.

Are Be, you're confusing the miniscule surplus for 2002-2003 with the massive $5.6 Billion projected defecit for 2003-2004. No one except possibly Eves doubts those numbers.

A $5.6 billion deficit is quite a deficit, if that is true.

Deficit dominates Ontario Throne Speech

Deficit dominates Ontario Throne Speech

By DARREN YOURK
Globe and Mail Update

POSTED AT 3:22 PM EST &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Thursday, Nov. 20, 2003

Advertisement

The Ontario Liberal government delivered its first Speech from the Throne Thursday, saying the $5.6-billion deficit left by the Tories will put severe spending limits on public sector spending.

The speech, which Premier Dalton McGuinty promised Wednesday would be “very sober,†was devoid of firm dates on many of the party's campaign promises.

“Your new government will ask its partners in health care, education and the broader public sector to temper their requests for more with the realization that what we have now is at risk,†the government said. “If Ontarians work together today we can build an even brighter future for tomorrow.â€

The Throne Speech, delivered by Lieutenant-Governor James Bartleman, said that if action isn't taken immediately the Tory deficit would grow to $7.7-billion next year.

“The Tory deficit not only threatens the improvements we are determined to make. It threatens the public services we have now," Mr. McGuinty said in a statement released during the speech.

"We didn't create this problem, but we're going to fix it. We have to secure our fiscal foundation so we can build better schools on a firm foundation, better hospitals on a firm foundation, and stronger communities on a firm foundation."

The Liberals said they would begin to tackle the deficit by introducing legislation to eliminate corporate tax cuts, the private school tax credit, and the seniors' education tax credit.

© 2003 Bell Globemedia Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

“Your new government will ask its partners in health care, education and the broader public sector to temper their requests for more with the realization that what we have now is at risk,†the government said. “If Ontarians work together today we can build an even brighter future for tomorrow.â€
:rollin :lol :rollin :lol :rollin :lol :rollin :tup: :tup: :tup: :cheers:

I hate all this "your government" crap. I want the Governor General and the Lieutenant Governors to go back to "My Government".

I agree. It wasn't that great of a Throne Speech.

The gas tax isn't coming for a while. I guess we'll be seeing the TTC token price go up to $2.00 in 2004 (in 1981, it was 50 cents). Hopefully McGuinty and Miller can work something out. Annual fare increases are becoming a sad tradition in this city. I'm suspicious as to whether the majority of the McGuinty promises will ever be kept by the end of the mandate.

The Brampton hospital will probably be delayed further, as the Liberals promise to "strike new deals" for the P3 hospitals (I opposed the P3 deal, but ended being resigned to it). I just wish the Brampton hospital was never put under a P3 concept. It just keeps delaying the construction further.

But tuition fees will be frozen, smoking laws tightened and the private school tax cancelled. At least some promises are being implemented.

Fare hike? I think it's about time for me to re-post my TTC Fare history chart!

ttcfarehistory.gif
Source: http://members.rogers.com/transitstop/fares.htm
Inflation rate from Bank of Canada.

If TTC fares rose at the same rate as inflation since 1973, the cash fare would currently be at $1.25 and tickets would cost $1.13.

I'd like to see how the cost of Metropasses would look on that graph.

Re: TTC Tokens - A sound financial investment

Just FYI: the Bank of Canada, at the direction of the Conservative government, instituted a zero inflation policy in 1991. Zero inflation means a lower band of acceptable inflation (normally between 0% and 2.5%, compared with the Americans, who aim for 3-4%).

The problem with using inflation is that it doesn't reflect the opportunity cost of transit for governments. That is why funding collapsed and fares rose.

Back