News   Apr 26, 2024
 339     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 904     1 

The Weather

Just before the heat cut out yesterday:

IMG_0078.jpeg

IMG_0082.jpeg

Me too. We're lucky to have avoided the oppressive, muggy heat that we usually get this time of year.

The world may be burning but I’m liking Toronto’s weather this summer. Cool mornings and nights, cloudy days, frequent rain, with daily averages below 30’C. I’ll take it.

Its still be too sticky on a few days; but on balance, thus far, its been decent; wildfire smoke aside.

Worrying situation in the Northwest Territories

The Northwest Territories’ capital is emptying out after government officials said they had until Friday to get out before wildfires could overrun the area.​

While the forecast isn’t certain, the territory’s wildfire agency said that if rain does not materialize on Thursday, a wildfire 16 kilometres west of Yellowknife could reach its outskirts by the weekend – and another fire could reach homes along the Ingraham Trail, northeast of the city, by Friday.

Worrying situation in the Northwest Territories
The Northwest Territories’ capital is emptying out after government officials said they had until Friday to get out before wildfires could overrun the area.
I don't think provincial/territorial capital has burned down since the Quebec City fire of June 28, 1845 destroyed two-thirds of the city. Of course much of Halifax was blown up/down in 1917, but fog aside that's not weather related.

EDIT, I forgot about the Toronto Great Fire of 1904, https://www.toronto.ca/explore-enjo...ts-significant-events/the-great-fire-of-1904/

Well weather wise, I'd say that Christmas season was the most depressing one that I can remember - we had what, a week straight of non-stop rain or drizzle? It felt relentless. It's always sad when there's no white Christmas.

Having never experienced a total eclipse, I might try to be in Hamilton or Niagara Falls on April 8th, but I think I'll wait to see the weather forecast before I leave on that day.

I witnessed one in 1979 in n/w Ontario. It was definitely an experience. I was surprised how dark it became and what light remained was 'eerie'. It was obviously refracted/scattered indirect light . Animals became very quiet (I understand birds will go to roost). It looks to be about ~90% where we are.

Having never experienced a total eclipse, I might try to be in Hamilton or Niagara Falls on April 8th, but I think I'll wait to see the weather forecast before I leave on that day...
If I was the manager of a Dollarama in southern Ontario, I might get a bunch of cheap eclipse glasses to sell. I remembered I still had these from the last partial one a few years ago, when I think I had ordered a pack of 5 from Amazon or eBay.
Eclipse_glasses.JPG

Last edited:

Back