News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 321     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 879     0 

The Weather

DTG: I wanted to mention comparing the tough winter of 2011 to the almost non-winter
of 2012 after the NYC area had one of its smallest seasonal snowfalls (about 5 inches)
and I will also note that in March 2012 NYC (Central Park) recorded no snowfall at all
and only about a half-inch of rain was recorded until 3/31 when we got another half
inch here on LI keeping us from setting an all-time record for driest March on record...

March 2012 was also one of the warmest Marches on record in the NYC region and
noting that picture of the melting snow it reminds me of one year ago when the NYC
area suffered thru that snow melt debacle...and in parts of the northeastern USA it
resulted in record flooding...What a difference one year makes weather-wise!

LI MIKE

It sounds like we had two very similar winters (and the same March this year), though we were spared most effects of the Nor'easter in late 2010 and no flooding in Toronto however areas in southern Quebec got hit pretty hard in spring of 2011.
I still love this amazing video shot in Queens during the Nor'easter - http://vimeo.com/18312392 (edit: crank the volume and expand to full screen)

Last edited:
I've been in England for the past two weeks.

Rain, rain, rain ...

Which is unusual, actually. Normally the weather here's pretty good ( despite what one hears! ).

Actually, there is nothing unprecedented with respect to the contemporary climate. There have been more rapid and more extreme climate changes in the past 11,000 years. The climate record for the most recent glacial period also shows periods of extreme variation as well - none of which was caused by either CO2 or human emissions of CO2. Tree stumps washed out from underneath Alpine glaciers are a clear indicator that forests once grew where today only mountain glaciers exist. The tree line in northern Canada was once over 100 kilometres further north than it presently is. So while it is warmer today than it was in the middle of the Little Ice Age of 400 years ago (and which only ended about 150 years ago), there have been warmer eras in the last 11,000 years of the Holocene, warmer eras in which corals didn't die off, polar bears didn't go extinct or ice caps totally melt. The fact is, the earth is still in an Ice Age. We just happen to find ourselves in an interglacial warm period instead of having Toronto buried somewhere underneath a kilometre of ice (as it would have been 20,000 years ago).

Oxygen is still 20.95% of the atmosphere. Second only after nitrogen.

Thank you thank you thank you. This is exactly the kind of reasoning people should be looking for.

I find a rather interesting but disturbing phenomenon: so many Canadians just take what the media or politicians say for granted. They believe global warming/climate change is real with just minimum evidence from the TV, and they associate believing it with being "liberal" or "progressive", instead of truly looking into whether it is the truth, or it is just a hypothesis manipulated by biased researchers and ambitious politicians, who always need "new ideas" to stand out.

I don't have much background in natural science but I think everyone should reserve the right to question the big hyper over climate change over the past decade or so. The earth has a much much longer history than any of us has any knowledge of,much longer than human history, and the measurement of earth temperature wasn't possible until a mere 100 years ago?? Yet these people just become fully convinced that the earth is warming, and that it is a long term trend (instead of a small natural episode of the earth itself), and that human behavior causes it, and that whoever don't believe it must be some sort of backward redneck bigot who is against the environment.

Someone simply put it there " Global warming is there, change is not good, warm or cold". What kind of background qualifies you to make such a definitive statement as if nothing else can be true? Do you have any idea how big this topic is? How many statistics have you researched, and over how many years (should be in thousands or even tens of thousands instead of "the past 50 years")? And what kind of statistical analysis has convinced you that it is human-behavior, rather than anything else, that has caused the rising of temperature, if at all? My bet is she has done none of this, and simply accepts this half baked theory as the Bible from being brainwashed by our politicians and media and believe anyone against it is simply stupid and backward.

Many seem to think because "many scientists said so, so it must be true". How many scientists? How do you know these scientists are impartial to the results? How many of the labs of these scientists are funded by the government, who actually have a big say what kind of results they want to support their policy? What about all the scientists who say otherwise? Do you have any idea how the government may influence the scientist labs and selectively published results they prefer to see?

It absolutely blows my mind that so many so called liberal-minded Canadians are so heavily brainwashed by the media into believing something that is so far from a verified scientific truth. What's more funny is that they think believing so makes them one of those with educated elites with "progressive views", and not believing it on the other hand is utter ignorance. Think about it. How can you be so convinced that the earth is really warming, just based on 100 years' of measurement, when the earth itself has a history of millions of years? A very very minor shift in the normal pattern of the Earth itself can cause a far deeper influence on the temperature than all that human-beings have caused combined during our entire history. The earth might got warmer by 1C during the past 60 years, but how do you know that's just what the earth is supposed to experience, and how do you know in 150 years, the earth won't be 3C colder, just because it entered a different stage?

I am not against reducing emission and making the earth a cleaner environment to live on. However, I just find it appalling and stupid that so many of us just take such a half-assed theory as absolute truth and don't even allow others to question its validity. That's just sad and show the huge lack of critical and independent thinking among all of us.

Thank goodness for all that rain. A couple of days earlier, in the heat, I'd transplanted some poppies and bee balm and daisies and other pretty little things from the back garden to the grassy knoll at the front, and they were struggling. The downpour perked them up no end.

I could see in the past week & a half or two so that a lot of grassy areas had turned, or were turning brown such as the track in behind Jarvis Collegiate. We could use a bit more rain yet to make up for the dry spell that we've had this spring.

Rain

I'd love it if it rained the week I'm going to be there. I made my first trip in late spring 2004. On the day I arrived, it rained all day. If I remember right, I didn't have an umbrella or the right shoes, but I sloshed down to Little India anyway. LATER I learned about TTC and went there on the subway. Anyway, so my first impression of Toronto was pouring rain. Being originally from the Pacific Northwest, I found the rain welcoming as heat and sun never could have been.

Making my fourth trip to Toronto in a couple of weeks. Been watching weather on TV. Seems like it is warming up. I know shopping centers are cool. Probably movie theaters are. (I don't mean hip, I mean 20-30 degrees) How many other tourist destinations provide escape from heat if desired? (I'm hijacking this thread because I can't start new ones, sorry)

Pretty much any indoor space is air conditioned. We have all the amenities here :)

Pretty much any indoor space is air conditioned. We have all the amenities here :)

Haha. Cute. I wasn't implying otherwise. I'm taking a trip on Lake Ontario, so I'm assuming some comfort there. Never been to the zoo. Not sure what to expect there. Are the universities out for the summer now? On a previous trip I rode a double decker bus around town. Saw some places I'd never have gone on my own. Learned that students are a huge population in Toronto. Is it the heart of the fashion industry too? Basically I go to Toronto to get what most of us Murikans go to the Big Apple for. But that's way too much humanity for me.

Universities are in session but less students than usual because most go September to April. The zoo can be a hot walk on a sunny day because there are lots of open expanses, but there are also lots of trees, etc. so it's up to you how much walking you do. There's the fashion district for sure (lots of air conditioned stores :)).

What do you want to do? If you want to people watch, go hang out in one of the many sidewalk cafes.

If you're looking for summertime fun, take a stroll along the waterfront or take the ferry to the Islands -- lovely spot on a hot summer's day but there will be crowds. Take in a Jays game. Rent a bike and go for a ride on one of the many trails -- you can ride to Edward's Gardens if you're into that, but again, there will be crowds. If you want to get out from under the trees and bask in the sun, check out the Beach area -- tons of sun, sand, water and park! Or visit our lovely new Sugar Beach with its pink umbrellas or HTO park for an urban beach experience.

Visit a museum or two. Walk the CN Tower Edge Walk.

Is that enough touristy stuff for you?

Back