News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 405     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

The Toronto Accent(s)

How do the majority of Canadians pronounce the words literaly, elementary, and lavatory? I pronounce them "litchrely", "elementry", and "lavetry". I personally comonly hear both "litchrely" and "litterilly" and "elementry". Lavatory doesnt seem to be a word spoken much here.

As an aside: I somewhat cringe when I here mobile pronounced "mobil".

the above pronunciations are terribly british; i would suspect their lingering influence here (which is even kind of suspect in itself, as i never hear them) is due to the post-colonial class complex, where certain canadians might feel a need to "elevate" themselves by consciously choosing mother country inflections.

lit-er-ally, el-eh-men-tarry and la-va-to-ree are the standard north american pronunciations for those terms (as you almost undoubtedly are aware).

How do the majority of Canadians pronounce the words literaly, elementary, and lavatory? I pronounce them "litchrely", "elementry", and "lavetry". I personally comonly hear both "litchrely" and "litterilly" and "elementry". Lavatory doesnt seem to be a word spoken much here.

That depends. Exclusively in the context of phones I use "mobil," but for all other uses (mobile home, "I'm not as mobile as I used to be", etc) I pronounce it the right way.

I'm li-trilly (3 syllables, not 4, but no "ch" for me), elementry, and lavetry (tho I gen-rilly (same form as literally) ask for a washroom when in public and a bathroom when in a residence). I also prefer la-BORE-a-tory to LAB-rat-or-ee, and would never salute a loo-tenant but would definitely tip my hat to a lef-tenant.

I draw the line at clarks and shejules, tho. I prefer my clerk to have my sked-yule ready for me.

I've taken grief all my life for saying "shejule". People keep telling me you don't say "shjool" (or however you'd spell that!).
Now, are they "herbs" or "erbs"??

*wanders off singing, "you say tomAto, I say tom-ah-to" ...*

... and is it versa'tile' or versat'il'.... ah lets call the whole thing off!!

I have never pronounced any of those words listed the "British" way. Maybe you'll hear people pronounce it like that in Toronto, but most likely they were either brought up by British immigrants, or they're British themselves. I've never heard anyone in Canada say "Leftenant", we're far too influenced by American media to pronounce it the correct way.

I've always said leftenant. I'm 6th generation Canadian, although granted, with a British background. And I watched a lot of British media growing up.

I pronounce them "literally", "elementry", "lavatory" I've never said in my entire life. "Laboratory" I pronounce "labratory". "Mobile" I pronounce both ways. Probably "mo-bill" more.

... and is it versa'tile' or versat'il'.... ah lets call the whole thing off!!

I use both. I don't think one is British and the other American are they? I've heard both in Star Trek.

I have never pronounced any of those words listed the "British" way. Maybe you'll hear people pronounce it like that in Toronto, but most likely they were either brought up by British immigrants, or they're British themselves. I've never heard anyone in Canada say "Leftenant", we're far too influenced by American media to pronounce it the correct way.

Until WWII, most Ontarians WERE British immigrants! Alas, I have the strong impression that new (non-British) immigrants to Canada are more influenced by how people speak in Hollywood than by how they speak next-door!

Aside from some words most of us do not encounter in our every day lives (like lieutenant), I really doubt how much the media affects the way we talk. Studies have shown that the way native English speakers in Toronto talk has not changed significantly since the Second World War. Sixty year olds and sixteen year olds, for the most part, speak with the same accent. It's in the 70+ category where we see a change. That change is called the "Canadian shift" - the last major change in the way Canadians West of Quebec speak.

The Canadian shift occurs (theoretically) because the caught-cot merger created a gap in the vowel chart. To fill the void, our front lax vowels became retracted/lowered (linguists do not agree on exactly what happened). Of the North American dialects that saw a caught-cot merger, each coped with the void in a different way. The way we filled the gap stands in opposition to the Northern Cities Shift. However, the shift moved in the same general direction (independently of each other) in both California and Canada. So through some great linguistic accident, we now sound more like Californians and less like people from Buffalo.

The Canadian shift appears to have started in Toronto. It was certainly complete here far before it was anywhere else in the country - as I said, at the time of the Second World War. In comparison, the shift is much more recent in English-speaking Montrealers (becoming complete only in the late 20th Century). In Winnipeg it's just started up over the past decade. The largest city in a dialect area is often where linguistic innovations occur, spreading out to other large cities, then to smaller cities, etc. There's nothing new to this.

How long Central/Western Canadian English will remain a homogenous dialect where the same sound changes take place (although staggered over time) is a mystery. There are already signs that it's starting to split up. Young people in parts of BC have lost that distinctive Canadian raising. Even that debate amongst linguists as to whether the Canadian shift is a retraction or a lowering of front lax vowels has been answered with "both, as speech in different areas diverges."

It's difficult to get across to people that we talk differently. People refuse to believe they do the whole Canadian raising thing, but it's pretty strong across the board here. And if it's difficult to convince people here that they say "aboat the hoase," I don't expect many people here to believe that when we say "everyone," the first syllable sounds to non-Canadian ears like the first syllable in "average" (that's not to say it sounds like how we say "average" though). To someone without the shift, my "I'll bet everyone here that that dog is a bit yellow" would sound like "I'll bat* a*veryone here that that dog ez a bet yallow" (* the "a"s here represents the [æ] sound - the way we say "bat" is also affected by the shift, the "a" becoming the [a] sound, like the "a"s in Spanish). If you were born/raised here and English is your first language, you probably speak like this, even if you don't realize it. I remember I didn't realize I said anything strangely until a recent immigrant friend asked me why I always said I was going to be late for "anglish class."

And, to anyone who might be a linguist, sorry if I completely butchered explaining the Canadian shift - I realize some parts of it (especially it's relationship to the cot-caught merger) can be controversial.

Until WWII, most Ontarians WERE British immigrants! Alas, I have the strong impression that new (non-British) immigrants to Canada are more influenced by how people speak in Hollywood than by how they speak next-door!

The Canadian-born outnumbered the British- and Irish-born in the 1871 census.

People refuse to believe they do the whole Canadian raising thing, but it's pretty strong across the board here. And if it's difficult to convince people here that they say "aboat the hoase,"
It's difficult to convince people that we say that because we don't. That's not Canadian raising. Canadian raising is simply that Canadians say "boat", "bout", and "plow" with 3 distinct vowel sounds while people from other countries say "bout" and "plow" the same. Just because Americans hear "aboat" that doesn't mean that's what's being said. The fact that we say "throat" and "scout" differently should be blatantly obvious to any Canadian.

Last edited:
It's difficult to get across to people that we talk differently. People refuse to believe they do the whole Canadian raising thing, but it's pretty strong across the board here. And if it's difficult to convince people here that they say "aboat the hoase," I don't expect many people here to believe that when we say "everyone," the first syllable sounds to non-Canadian ears like the first syllable in "average" (that's not to say it sounds like how we say "average" though). To someone without the shift, my "I'll bet everyone here that that dog is a bit yellow" would sound like "I'll bat* a*veryone here that that dog ez a bet yallow" (* the "a"s here represents the [æ] sound - the way we say "bat" is also affected by the shift, the "a" becoming the [a] sound, like the "a"s in Spanish). If you were born/raised here and English is your first language, you probably speak like this, even if you don't realize it. I remember I didn't realize I said anything strangely until a recent immigrant friend asked me why I always said I was going to be late for "anglish class."

The problem is we don't say "aboat" and "hoase". Of course we Canadian-raise those words, but your transliteration of the sound we make leaves much to be desired. I can't even really picture how to write the sound, but it's certainly not "aboat" and "hoase".

I don't think we say "everyone" with the same vowel as any English-speakers' "average". I know what you're getting at for "a" words though. We do pronounce "a"s differently. The easiest words to exemplify it are loan words such as "drama", "pasta", "Iraq", e.g. Most Canadians pronounce those words differently than Americans, although not 100% on either side. And the way a lot Americans say "Iraq" sounds like "I-rock" to me, whereas the way a lot of Americans say "Florida" sounds like an "Flarida". Weird how the "a" and "o" are completely reversed in those two words.

I think you're really confusing things with "e" in "everyday". I think it's more "o" versus "a" and their respective pronunciations. I can't picture any immigrant thinking we say "anglish". Maybe it's because I speak Polish as well, but Polish's "a" is similar to our soft "a" and they sound the same, i.e. nothing like an "e". Keep in mind that English went through it's Great Vowel Shift so the soft vowels are akin to their equivalents in say Polish or French for that matter.

It's difficult to convince people that we say that because we don't. That's not Canadian raising. Canadian raising is simply that Canadians say "boat", "bout", and "plow" with 3 distinct vowel sounds while people from other countries say "bout" and "plow" the same. Just because Americans hear "aboat" that doesn't mean that's what's being said. The fact that we say "throat" and "scout" differently should be blatantly obvious to any Canadian.

Good example. "Scout" and "throat" sound nothing alike to a Canadian; they do not rhyme.

Back