News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 634     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I bet this has been commented on earlier, but I went all the way up this building inside the other day, and what is it with the down escalators? At the food court level, they have to have stickers on the floor to tell people how to get down, because the down escalator is nowhere you would expect it to be. A grotesque failure of design, the whole experience made me sick.

A failure in design in your mind maybe, but I'm sure they did it on purpose. They want you to walk through the food court in the hopes that you'll spend some cash. And further down they want you to go into the FutureShop.

Well, yes, perhaps it's just in my mind, but the stickers on the floor leading people to the down escalators speak to me of failure. I certainly would tend to avoid the place - I hate the feeling of being trapped somewhere.

You mean there's more to come on the outside? How possible? Can it be made uglier?

I cant fathom why, but they took down the new Desani add (where LG used to be).

Its blank again

I do find the Toronto Life Square not very inviting. I wonder about the escalators too when I first went there. I didn't know how to get down. The concept is there to build a place for people to hang out and bring life to the area but the structure seems lacking. They need to make it taller with more neon lights too. Or else have more buildings with a lot of neon lights, big LED screens and more ads like Tokyo or Times Square. The area just doesn't seem to be noisy enough.

Further to our discussion about 3D billboards a few pages ago, there's a very large 3D advertisement for Tylenol (I think) on the Yonge side of the Hard Rock building.

Further to our discussion about 3D billboards a few pages ago, there's a very large 3D advertisement for Tylenol (I think) on the Yonge side of the Hard Rock building.

Yea I noticed it the other night. Something like that on TLS would be awesome. Its only a matter of time! *keeps fingers crossed*

No kidding. The design is a complete mess. On busy nights when the food court is packed and people are leaving from a movie it's going to be chaos.

No it wont. The exit from the theatre feeds directly to the down escalators in the food court. You dont have to walk the entire food court when you exit.

I do find the Toronto Life Square not very inviting. I wonder about the escalators too when I first went there. I didn't know how to get down. The concept is there to build a place for people to hang out and bring life to the area but the structure seems lacking.

While I know that is just your opinion, I disagree.

I see it most days of the week. Sometimes at 10 in the morning, sometimes 10 at night, and it is certainly a great place for people to hang out, and it has certainly brought a lot of life to the area. Theres always tons of people there now, and people just relaxing outside of it on Dundas st.

However, I do agree with you when you say the escalators are confusing. Me and my gf couldn't figure out how to get out of the building from the food count our first time there.

the escalators are messed up like that to allow for a quick escape from the movie theater (the movie theater has its own private escalator down to the food court level, which meets up nearly perfectly with the weird escalator going down from the middle of the food court to future shop level)

I often notice people in the food court area walking around aimlessly looking for the escalators. When I was there earlier this week eating next to the SOLO Mobile booth, I counted about a half dozen people (over the course of 20 minutes) go up and ask the salesguy where to find the down escalators. One lady even came up to me and asked if I knew where the exit was.

Another thing I've noticed, is that the foodcourt is on the slow side for such a prime location. Not sure if it's the hours that I've been going there (usually 6-7pm) but I don't find it that busy (easily less than half full).

The food court is very busy during lunch hours (I work in the area), so businesses there are doing just fine. The good ones anyway.

But yeah, the escalator layout is horribly planned. There's a huge sign over the food court exit escalator now because it's not in an obvious location. Also, I think the theatre escalator exits would be an absolute death trap during a fire.

While I know that is just your opinion, I disagree.

I see it most days of the week. Sometimes at 10 in the morning, sometimes 10 at night, and it is certainly a great place for people to hang out, and it has certainly brought a lot of life to the area. Theres always tons of people there now, and people just relaxing outside of it on Dundas st.

However, I do agree with you when you say the escalators are confusing. Me and my gf couldn't figure out how to get out of the building from the food count our first time there.

I work in the area too. Dundas square is a great place to hang out. I sometimes walk to there on weekends just to check out what's happening. They always have some sort of event going on. However the actual building "toronto life square" isn't so inviting. When I go looking for lunch, it is usually the last place that comes to mind. First place is Eaton Centre Food court. Next consideration is food along Yonge Street outside Eaton Centre. If I rule that out, only then would it occur to me to eat at Toronto Life Square building. The first impression I got of it wasn't that good when I went in cuz of the elevators probably. I didn't feel inclined to walk around and explore like I do with malls usually.

Also, I think the theatre escalator exits would be an absolute death trap during a fire.

I had that same phobia feeling when I was going down those elevators too!

Last edited:
Also, I think the theatre escalator exits would be an absolute death trap during a fire.

Ive been in the theatre during an evacuation. They empty faster than any other tenant in the building. (Minus starbucks of course)

Every theatre has its own emergency exit to Victoria St. so you dont even have to use the lobby. When I left, I used the lobby anyway and it still took less than a minute to exit.

I don't think it's the amount of time to get out of there. But it might take awhile if there's a full house? The feeling I got going down those elevators was constriction. There doesn't seem to be much space. The ceiling above your head isn't all that high, the escalators are narrow. It's like being in a cubby hole. If there's any smoke that gets to the area, I get the feeling it would fill up quick.

Back