News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 616     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Perhaps TLS should adopt this measure which already applies to Blue Jays games...

"In cooperation with the Toronto Police Service, guests wearing known gang clothing and/or colours will not be permitted into Rogers Centre. Guests will be automatically asked to leave the premises, as noted on signs posted at gate entrances."

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/tor/ballpark/a_z_guide.jsp#G

The problem is that some people assume anyone wearing Hip Hop related clothing is a gangster.

The problem is that some people assume anyone wearing Hip Hop related clothing is a gangster.

You beat me too it.

I was in the midst of writing a comment very similar to yours above. I've been to Y&D square to see a movie 3 times now - and a few others just to take a look.

I haven't noticed this whole gangster vibe everyone seems to be alluding too. Hip Hop cloth I have noticed but I think it's very unfortunate people have the habit of correlating the too. A true story:

As I was walking through someone any of you (apparently) would associate with a gangster I dropped my wallet - he picked it up (he was with a group of his *associate* gang members) and gave it to me and said I dropped it...

Are some people indeed in gangs sure....
Is everyone who looks that way definitely in one ... far from it

it's just not some people, it's pretty much the majority of us.

if you take your kids to town, and see a bunch of young teenagers with low baggy pants, oversized sports jersey with bandanas or baseball caps talking loud to each other, wouldn't you feel concern for the safety of your kids?

I'd rather assume than find out the hard way

^Agree there Petra: no way am I going there to see a movie. The entire area is creepy and maybe as I get older I get more paranoid but ... I can see more shootings happening down there in the future.
Just chiming in to point out what a complete jackass you are :):)

Petra, your observations were pretty bleak. I think the theatre is fine and the Adidas store turned out better than expected. Wow, that almost sounded like I'm defending TLS, but rest assured it's still a huge POS. The tenants, on the other hand, are fine, except Future Shop with the staff lunch room, but that's mostly PenEquity's fault again.

/\ Excellent anecdotes taal and syn and grey. No thanks to Petra or urbandreamer

There is definitely a difference between 'gangs' and others wearing out sized clothing. While the latter may be visually appalling, they usually mean no harm and are simply caught up in those confusing years we call the 'teens.' Furthermore, there are few terms as whitewashed as 'gang.' Technically, the term just a synonym for 'group of people,' but with the right connotations, it becomes something much more terrifying. I'd like to hear what urbandreamer's conception of a gang is considering he seems to have seen them all.

'Gangs' don't fight random people. They just don't. As simplistic as their notion of society is, for the most part, they still know what side of the bread the butter is on. Gangs, for the most part, also defend a 'territory' which they believe to be rightfully theirs. Why then, would a group of young men abandon their posts just to catch a movie? Really, is a quick matinée of Made of Honor really going to lure the dregs of society out from their unfurnished apartments to cause chaos at the ticket booth?

Lets think sensibly here. In reality, shootings, 'gang' violence and the morass which urbandreamer alludes to are rare and random occurances. Gangs do not and are not choosing to relocate downtown for their showdowns. Whether mislead, lacking in parental guidance and supervision, or just simply trying to follow in the footsteps of an older brother, these young men need the sort of rehabilitation which is often the hardest to administer: compassion.

It is easy to vilify 'gangs' and often, it is with just cause. We must remember however, why kids turn to them. For the most part, they are just alone in a difficult world. We on this forum can scarcely put ourselves into the Air Force Ones of a Malvern or Teesdale kid, yet we can comfortably sit at our computers condemning their camouflaged cries for help.

So really, is just not coming downtown going to help anything? Of course, no. Likewise, will sly comments about downtown help alleviate its problems ("I'm against the consumption of crap," "theres too much potential for a gang war there.")? Certainly not.

I would at this point, like to turn it back to urbandreamer who should explain why y/d is such an incubator for crime and "gang warfare," whatever that is.

I would at this point, like to turn it back to urbandreamer who should explain why y/d is such an incubator for crime and "gang warfare," whatever that is.
eagerly awaiting his response which is sure to be laced prejudicial remarks and latent distrust of minorities and poor people.

It's only a matter of time until we see violent clashes between the jesus guy on the north side (north side reprazent what what) and the sidewalk chalk mural guy on the south side of the street.

Then they will be joined by urbandreamer's omnipresent 'gangs.' Imagine: an army of angry artists vs a bunch of bible bashers...sure to be interesting!

I was at y/d square earlier today and I:

love it and hate it.

But, I stand by my pov: the area is a boring pop-culture driven suburban corner of town; not my thing.

Cool?

I'm not a teenager anymore, so I have no reason to love the area. However, I did buy my camera at Future Shop y/d so y'all should be thankful, eh?;)

I don't think the "teens" at young and dundas are scary. They are just kids doing what kids do, which is hang out. No teen has ever done anything mean to me at Yonge and Dundas, and infact the most abuse I ever faced from the hands of teenagers when I was a teenager in highschool. And I rolled in a totally pussy gang, called the "posse" - I was only involved in one operation...just a quick stroll over to Mother Teresa to crack some guys skull open, who was looking at one our gang member's girlfriends the wrong way at a house party. How stupid is that?

Anyways... after that experience and constant request for me to steal running shoes, I quick the gang. Since then I have never been harassed by a teenager.

As for the Teens I've seen in TLS they all seem nice and well adjusted. If fact it was teens that offered me free popcorn and pop at the ironman showings. They gave me some paper they had printed from their emails and shared it with me. How nice is that? Of course they weren't gangsters looking teens, but still I thought it was nice. I'm not exactly the most social person out there, and spend half my day on the internet. So I don't think it's fair to make judgements about a group of people when there is little real to support those assumptions, other than what you might see on the news from time to time, and not much else.

I understand Caltrane. I can be antisocial/online geek too.:) Which is why I love taking photos for UT: gets me outside on the street meeting the ladies.:)

I saw d/s at night about 3 weeks ago and it looked okay. It is a youth culture part of town--much like Queen West between U and Bathurst now feels like a ghost town for the over 30 set. Other than Groovy for shoes, there's no reason for me to be there it seems.

At d/s, the geek in me likes checking out the latest laptops etc at f/s--although does anyone else agree Best Buy is actually a friendlier place to shop? (I know they're same company btw.)

d/s is a suburban kids' meeting place in downtown Toronto; most people, other than the 9-5 biz crowd weekdays or the Rye-high locals, rarely hang in the 'hood except perhaps the occassional movie or big ticket buy? That's just a hunch.

Caltrane: At least you were part of a "posse"; I was a gang of one in hs.:(

I wonder how long before they put up the exterior signage. That will go a long way to improving the appearance of TLS from Dundas Square. - I also noticed the interior lights of the Jack Astors from the street, and they appear to be quite nice. At least what I've seen so far.

I wonder how long before they put up the exterior signage. That will go a long way to improving the appearance of TLS from Dundas Square. - I also noticed the interior lights of the Jack Astors from the street, and they appear to be quite nice. At least what I've seen so far.

Jack's opens today...can't wait to hit that patio. Wait its after 11, I'm out of here!

I don't think the "teens" at young and dundas are scary. They are just kids doing what kids do, which is hang out. No teen has ever done anything mean to me at Yonge and Dundas, and infact the most abuse I ever faced from the hands of teenagers when I was a teenager in highschool. And I rolled in a totally pussy gang, called the "posse" - I was only involved in one operation...just a quick stroll over to Mother Teresa to crack some guys skull open, who was looking at one our gang member's girlfriends the wrong way at a house party. How stupid is that?

Anyways... after that experience and constant request for me to steal running shoes, I quick the gang. Since then I have never been harassed by a teenager.

As for the Teens I've seen in TLS they all seem nice and well adjusted. If fact it was teens that offered me free popcorn and pop at the ironman showings. They gave me some paper they had printed from their emails and shared it with me. How nice is that? Of course they weren't gangsters looking teens, but still I thought it was nice. I'm not exactly the most social person out there, and spend half my day on the internet. So I don't think it's fair to make judgements about a group of people when there is little real to support those assumptions, other than what you might see on the news from time to time, and not much else.

Diddy would be in a gang called the "posse" seeing as he is largely a 'possee' himself. Interesting story tho Cal - what store did you steal your trainers from?

Back