News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 2K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
TLS sure is ugly from above!

0900342_2_300.jpg

Sorry SNF, but even with your proposed additions, TLS would still come in second place. Perhaps you have heard of the Noor Cultural Center? It presents essentially the same element which you propose - see if you can pick it out!

noor003.jpg

Oh yeah, and TLS is boring, bland, repetitive, blah blah blah, etc....

Yes, TLS is ugly. Hence the need to coat it with lots of bright lights, garish ads and the much needed decorative rooftop spinning light things (or something). Leave it unadorned and it will make one gag; dress it up and will make you giddy.

It's receiving attention because it's one of Toronto's most important corners and it's generally regarded as a big disappointment.

Mostly it is disappointing because the agony has dragged on for so long.

.. and we've all noticed that the builder decided not to pick up the pace too much despite the recent flurry of activity. I guess they know what awaits them when they finally finish this -- the "my dog's back-end looks better" Pugly award. They can rest assured they'll get it for whatever year they complete this.

There is of course a repetition of a very tiresome occurrance, my friends. I walked by this TLS thing on Boxing Day and for the first time I noticed the cooling/heating units on top of the building. These could be disguised, you know. The developer is doing his/her best to make this a gut-wrenching sight.

I don't advocate violence, or anything like it, but someone deserves a good slap.

Mostly it is disappointing because the agony has dragged on for so long.

.. and we've all noticed that the builder decided not to pick up the pace too much despite the recent flurry of activity. I guess they know what awaits them when they finally finish this -- the "my dog's back-end looks better" Pugly award. They can rest assured they'll get it for whatever year they complete this.

There is of course a repetition of a very tiresome occurrance, my friends. I walked by this TLS thing on Boxing Day and for the first time I noticed the cooling/heating units on top of the building. These could be disguised, you know. The developer is doing his/her best to make this a gut-wrenching sight.

I don't advocate violence, or anything like it, but someone deserves a good slap.

Well if the "crane & wrecking ball" don't cover the view of the HVAC units, the "Toronto Life Square" sign certainly will...

Am I the only one here that thinks it is what it is and actually likes it in a novelty kind of way? This building over time will evolve over and over again and it will help (not that it already hasn't) give 24 life to that intersection.

Yip, I said just that back a hundred pages or so.
One issue that did get my goat was eliminating the cheese along the roof line. All the neon, steel doodads, glass panels and proposed retail logos rising above the roof will be missed.
For the most part the building itself is surprisingly close to the series of renderings Pen Equity put out in the past couple of years so it shouldn't come as any great surprise that it looks the way it does.

Yeah, because TLS is one big fat pile of effort. Vents covering fake fans could be the finishing touch on this masterpiece. That's all it needs!

How about some real fans behind the fake fans to give the feeling that air is being pushed through the fake fans?

The building does what it is primarily designed to do-provide advertising space. The building itself is secondary. What is disappointing is not the design of the building but of the unimaginative use of the advertising space. Hopefully in time this will change.

To see a truly terrible alternative, one only needs to look across the street to the media tower over Forever 21. I would rather see another TLS behind all that advertising than open sky.

To see a truly terrible alternative, one only needs to look across the street to the media tower over Forever 21. I would rather see another TLS behind all that advertising than open sky.

How is that "truly terrible"? I can imagine discerning people actually *preferring* its functional/structural honesty: it is what it is, a straightforward advertising pylon. Better that than PenEquity's aesthetically inept attempt to extrapolate it all into a functioning building.

Heck, if you find that media tower objectionable, you might as well find the original 70s high-tech pipeworks Eaton Centre aesthetic more objectionable than TLS...

because it is ugly. Pylons exist where there is nothing with similar height on which to hang a sign. Why on this corner can we do no better than a two storey building? This isn't the exit on highway 400 to Vaughan Mills. This is an urban intersection in view of 40 storey plus buildings.

Am I the only one here that thinks it is what it is and actually likes it in a novelty kind of way? This building over time will evolve over and over again and it will help (not that it already hasn't) give 24 life to that intersection.

I liked the promise that this development held. But on Boxing Day as I beheld the current state of affairs I had clenched fists in my pockets and felt like, as I said, slapping someone.

There is still a possibility that the developers can redeem themselves but it is going to be difficult - leaving those three-storey tall ventilation shafts showing on the south side when they should (by now) be behind the stunning 3-piece sign as rendered --- that constitutes antagonistic behaviour toward Torontonians.

3D, could you please read a few posts up and see the Cheez Whiz idea that Caltrane74 and I were tossing around? Maybe you could mock up a "for real" version of this idea. This development needs something (forgive me ) three-dimensional. I loved the Labatts can that was on the west side of Yonge, and same for the Cadbury's ad over the H.R. Cafe-- maybe a 3D thing on TLS will be its saviour. If we're going to have a corner in Toronto to celebrate the consumerist aspect of our society, then for heaven's sake let's "lose it" and go all out!!! That is my point.

Back in summer, a guest in Toronto and I took a walk on a rainy Friday night and enjoyed the reflections of the signage in a wet Dundas Square ..

How is that "truly terrible"? I can imagine discerning people actually *preferring* its functional/structural honesty: it is what it is, a straightforward advertising pylon. Better that than PenEquity's aesthetically inept attempt to extrapolate it all into a functioning building.

Heck, if you find that media tower objectionable, you might as well find the original 70s high-tech pipeworks Eaton Centre aesthetic more objectionable than TLS...

IMO I disagree I would prefer TLS over the Media tower on the Atrium, TEC or Hard Rock any day...I wouldn't go as far as saying that I find the media tower objectionable but I prefer the density and use of the TLS media tower. The success of this building is now up to the advertising community not the developer (i.e. for the community to recognize Yonge-Dundas' marketing potential). One thing is for sure, the more of us looking up to criticize design the greater the number of eye balls that TLS/Atrium/TEC etc. can market.

Is this an aesthetically pleasing execution within a functioning building?

2040279502_6ca18b6c08.jpg

It's tough to be all things to all people...

Back