News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
personally, the thing missing for me is something green. the whole area is very very grey (the ground surface i mean, not the brightly colored ads).even if they had planters or something, it woud make the place a lot better imo.

^ look closely @ the panoramic shot: there are planters along Yonge.

that's exactly my point. i had to specifically look for them which means they are small and insignificant when compared to the space.

And trees along the south side.

That's my only beef with the Square, a little more greenspace. I've been writing & phoning anyone who'll listen about that since it was completed.

I was down today and the Square is a madhouse with Best Buy's interactive thingie something going on. Something to do with video games or whatever....

Some sort of elevated flower gardens or something could work too. It is very dismal. I hate that long wall thing, whatever it is, that lines the north side of the square. It makes it more dismal with it's silver roof.

Probably Times Square, or Piccadilly Circus....

Or Shibuya, Causeway Bay, Potsdamer Platz, Kowloon... seriously, Toronto has to be like 20th on the list.

And when you see photos of these places, are people laughing and dancing and ever so joyous?

YD Square doesnt need greenery. It is supposed to be a modern urban square. I hate that people keep comparing it to OLD established squares. Trees and greenery fit into YD Square just as much as trees fit into the sidewalks of Yonge St. They dont. I feel as though there should be no plant life in the square. And that isnt sarcasm.

The square is turning out to be a success, no matter what you think of it's aesthetic appeal. Locals, tourists... everyone goes there for some reason. The place is packed all the time, which is the goal of any square - to be a meeting place. I cant tell you how many times i have made plans to meet people there because it is a central location, known by all.

I agree that something is missing, but along with that I would say that there is something out of place. I think that to make the square feel more complete, the elevated roof which serves no purpose along the north edge, should come down. That is the out of place element. Sure, before TLS was there it served as a boarder to the square. That isnt needed anymoe, and in fact, actually detracts from the TLS building. What is missing is an edge on the eastern side. Sure, there is Torch, but that is to the south east. Something big, glitzy and dramatic needs to be developed on the site of the grey granite boxy building, as well as the Hakim Optical. From posts on this forum I get the impression that Hakim is relocating across the street, and that the city is (possibly) moving offices out of the grey square box. Whatever is built there (some want a condo, some want a hotel etc etc) it needs to be just as over the top, garrish and tacky as both TLS and Torch are.

Onto Torch.... This building needs to take on more ads. Yes, I said more ads. We all know that the tower is a complete failure with no ads on the sides and back. Plaster that puppy with bright ads on all sides. Then cover the rest of the building's grey and red siding with more ads. Make it look like TLS junior. Next put a big, bright spotlight on top of the torch tower which can move around and act like a beacon, calling everyone to the square at night. The search light will make YDSquare feel more like a destination to head towards.

nice pic, phunky

I respect the LG sign more than any other at Dundas Square because of its permanence. LG has made a commitment to advertising in the square and the use of neon is timeless. Looking at that photo, is is still the most noticeable logo BY FAR.

However, when the LG sign was first installed its neon flashed through different programs and patterns. Now it just seems to be stuck in the "on" position which isn't nearly as dynamic.

I'd still prefer this up there than LG
greenroundel2.gif

Well of course it doesn't look like those people are having fun. It's a still photograph. Although, Toronto is a very conservative city...

As for YD Square... it feels like it's missing something, I can't quite put my finger on it.

I don't really think Toronto is that conservative at all. That's a very old stereotype.

I'm not sure what people expect them to be doing in the picture.

Why are some people rating the success or failure of this square - or the conservative or non-conservative nature of Toronto - on the basis of one photograph?

Back