News   May 10, 2024
 168     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 654     0 

The Star: Jarvis St. must change with evolving environs

Confusion's vision for future commuting in Toronto ;) :

There are many ways to avoid perspiration in hot summer months:

2659616250_6bc25d8d9d.jpg

I find it ironic that the chick in this photo was self-conscious enough to keep her bikini top on, yet took the bottom off.

Bike lanes and segregated bicycle facilities keep bicyclists second-class road users. Why not just widen the curb lane and create WOLs.

And while I agree with the sentiment of waterloo warrior's post, I don't think it's feasible to create a separate cycling infrastructure in North American cities, in large part due to their gridiron road networks. Why create parallel infrastructure when the grid already allows varied routes?

To TKTKTK, the US is far ahead in cycling funding - the federal bailout includes provisions for cyclists reimbursed for parking and funding incentives for employers who provide shower facilities.

To TKTKTK, the US is far ahead in cycling funding - the federal bailout includes provisions for cyclists reimbursed for parking and funding incentives for employers who provide shower facilities.

Read what I wrote: my place of employment has showers. I only know one person who uses them. People don't want to shower where they work, all the bailout money in the world isn't going to change that...

Read what I wrote: my place of employment has showers. I only know one person who uses them. People don't want to shower where they work, all the bailout money in the world isn't going to change that...

If the facilities are there, more people might use them. On another note: does your office charge employees for car parking?

If the facilities are there, more people might use them. On another note: does your office charge employees for car parking?

Most people don't drive.

I think what's stopping more people from cycling to work is the chance of running into a co-worker naked in the change room, rather than how much parking is.

At a previous job, my employer had shower facilities. Through the spring, summer, and fall, a group regularly cycled to and from work (17 km each way). Others ran during lunch and a few long distance runners even ran home from work 2 or 3 times a week. (Company town.) I don't recall anyone fretting about the showers. If anything, we felt a common bond in enjoying physical exercise. We were just glad the showers were there! In the morning, you could cycle in, shower, and enjoy a leisurely coffee with coworkers before starting work. At noon, you could run 5 km or so, shower, and still have time for a snack.

Okay, so you're a fifty-year-old blind lady with one leg who lives in High Park and works at Yonge and Finch. Are you supposed to ride a bike to work? If you start work at 8:00 what time in the morning do you have to set out to get to work in time (rain, snow or 90 degree humid weather) and still have time to shower and change into the power pump(s)? What time do you get home at night after working a nine hour day? What happens if you have to go to the doctor's office after work (to see about that wooden leg) and your doctor is in Riverdale? What happens if you then have to go to the grocery store and buy big bulky things like toilet paper and big heavy things like a jug of bleach? Now what time are you getting at home, and how soon before cardiac arrest sets in??

Now I understand that my case study is an extreme but change the lady to an Olympic athlete and the 'average' day above would still be an enormous challenge. And aren't these things really the norm? How do you shunt the kids around, rush somewhere because you're running late, attend an event looking nice without having to shower? My point being that cycling as one's *main* mode of transportation is simply not practical for most people. In an ideal world we all live and work and play within our urban downtown village, shower with our co-workers and look good in biking shorts. Well the truth is that most people who think they look good in bike shorts really don't and most people simply don't have that localized and uncomplicated a life. Where's my bus pass?!

From the Globe, Toronto Section:

TRAFFIC MAKEOVER: BEAUTIFYING THE BOULEVARD OR CLOGGING THE ARTERY?
A place to go, instead of a place to go through
Hallelujah! Councillor Kyle Rae wants to save Jarvis Street and restore it to its former elegance. Drivers are not amused

PETER CHENEY

February 7, 2009

Rob McEwen's day follows a well-tuned ritual: He rises in Rosedale, boards his Lexus hybrid, then heads south on Jarvis Street toward the financial district. Although his trip takes him through some of the most congested real estate in Canada, it usually takes only 10 or 15 minutes, thanks to Jarvis's unique feature - five lanes of traffic controlled by overhead lights.

But that may be coming to an end. And Mr. McEwen isn't happy about it.

"It's coming out of the blue," he fumed this week when asked about a new city proposal that would dramatically overhaul Jarvis and eliminate the fifth lane. "I don't understand the justification."

The Jarvis makeover is the brainchild of Toronto Councillor Kyle Rae, who walks to his City Hall office and has never held a driver's licence. Mr. Rae's vision for Jarvis would reduce traffic flow and restore at least part of the street's former glory. In the 19th century, it was considered one of Toronto's most elegant boulevards.

"Back then, this was something special," Mr. Rae says. "Then it got turned into a five-lane highway. Who wants to go there now?"

He has heard his share of complaints, including one from a Rosedale dowager who told him that Jarvis was the ideal route to the Albany Club, an upper-crust hangout on King Street that was founded in 1882. The woman told him that she could make the trip in five minutes, and warned that any increase could result in the loss of her vote.

Mr. Rae says he gave her the same answer that he has to everyone else who complained about the proposed change: The trip may take slightly longer, but they'll enjoy it more. "It's going to be a better experience," he says.

Whether Mr. Rae will realize his Jarvis vision remains to be seen. Planners have prepared detailed proposals and cost estimates (about $6-million), but the project must still run a bureaucratic gauntlet before shovels go in the ground. In May, the proposal will go to the department of public works and infrastructure. If it's approved, city council has to vote on it. If the project makes it to that point, it still needs a signoff (and funding) from the province.

In the meantime, the forces of opposition are stirring. The North Rosedale Ratepayers Association, for example, has warned that killing the fifth lane will create "massive clogging" in the heart of downtown. Rosedale residents such as Mr. McEwen are angered by what they see as a lack of consultation.

"I never heard a thing about it," says Mr. McEwen, chief executive officer of a gold-exploration firm. He says he learned about the project only this week, through an e-mail from a friend, and says he expects better communications from city hall. "You don't just drop something like this on people's laps."

Whether people were given enough notice is up for debate. The city is required to notify residents by placing advertisements in local publications. In this case, the city chose Now magazine, hardly a major read in neighbourhoods like Rosedale. There have been two public meetings, one last April, and another on Jan. 22 of this year. About 250 people attended, but many residents, including Mr. McEwen, say they never heard about them.

While Jarvis Street may be a convenient thoroughfare, as a neighbourhood high street, it leaves much to be desired. In the 1960s, it underwent the civic equivalent of a bad rec-room conversion. Trees were ripped out to widen the street and make way for the fifth lane, allowing increased traffic volume. Many of the Edwardian mansions that lined the street's southern reaches were turned into rooming houses, filled with addicts and prostitutes.

City traffic planners have studied Jarvis for years, trying to figure out a way to reconcile the competing interests of traffic flow and aesthetics. The answer: You can't have both. Penelope Palmer, a senior engineer with transportation services, says the Jarvis overhaul will definitely slow down traffic, but says the trade-off will be well worth it.

"We've looked at very carefully," she says. "We realize that this is driven by human nature. People's reaction to a project is determined by how it will affect them personally."

Ms. Palmer says Jarvis carries about 1,600 vehicles an hour during peak periods. The five lanes are configured to match traffic flow, with three lanes running in one direction, and two in the other. (Jarvis is the only street in Toronto that uses this system, which is most commonly employed on bridges, including the Lions Gate in Vancouver.)

Traffic studies show that it takes an average of six to eight minutes for a vehicle to travel from Bloor to Queen Street along Jarvis. Eliminating the fifth lane will increase that time to an average of 10 to 11 minutes, Ms. Palmer says. Plans call for widening the sidewalk on the west side of the street to make way for trees, planters and street furniture. She says this will increase pedestrian traffic and encourage the opening of new businesses such as sidewalk cafés.

"We don't want to bring back the days of the horse and buggy," she says, "but we definitely want to improve the public realm."

Despite the complaints, Mr. Rae says it's full-steam ahead. He says the community that surrounds Jarvis has been undergoing a gradual renaissance, with an ever-increasing number of residences. The limiting factor, he says, is Jarvis itself. "The road needs to catch up with the neighbourhood," he says.

Councillor Adam Giambrone, who oversaw a contentious street project in his own riding (the narrowing of Lansdowne Avenue, completed last year), says disputes over street alterations follow a familiar arc. Locals get upset at the proposed change, seethe as the bulldozers go to work, then gradually come to terms with the revised street after it's completed.

The Lansdowne project ran into opposition that was, to say the least, spirited: One local chained himself to a tree, and a residents' association filed a lawsuit against Mr. Giambrone and the city, charging that the project would divert traffic onto their streets.

Mr. Giambrone says most residents now accept the changes, which have resulted in a process known as "traffic evaporation," wherein the number of cars falls following changes that increase congestion. "People adapt," he says. "They stop using their car, or they take another route. Either way, the traffic goes down."

He says a few locals are still angry, but he accepts that as the inevitable cost of change: "Few projects are ever as good, or as bad, as people think they'll be," he says. "That's the reality."

Speak up

To express your views, or for more info on the Jarvis Street environmental assessment, follow these bunny tracks:

Mike Logan, City of Toronto,

public consultation unit

Tel: 416-392-2962

E-mail: Jarvis@toronto.ca

Facebook group: Jarvis Streetscape Improvement

24-hr comment line: 416-397-7777

Fax: 416-392-2974

TTY: 416-397-0831

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090207.JARVIS07/TPStory/TPEntertainment/Ontario/

AoD

There might possibly be some issues with this plan! Therefore, let's do nothing! Bike lanes cost millions! Painting lines on the road is an affront to one-legged women all over the city! I'm really mad about hypotheticals!

There are plenty of extreme examples of people who won't be cycling, but these merely confirm that cycling isn't the most versatile form of transportation. In terms of perspiration, most of the year the weather doesn't make it an issue. Even August in summer has comfortable 20 degree days. And not everyone works at computers and telephones. People clean buildings, work in construction, manufacturing and various jobs where they sweat, all over the city.

Cycling is clearly not going to be the main mode of transportation for every trip for most people. Yet contrary to what the detractors say, the segment of the population that can benefit from cycling infrastructure is actually quite large. It's not large enough to be the priority, but large enough to warrant lanes on some arterials, and the appropriate plowing in the winter.

Well they say another tax hike is coming in Toronto with the budget this year, upwards of 4%. Gotta pay for those bike lanes and all the other special-interest funding after all.

Actually, the tax hike is much more likely going to get used for the city's 20%share of the welfare caseload. And I would tend to assume that 4% isn't going to cover it.

TK and Tewder,

What do you guys have against bike infrastructure? I know that bike advocates can sometimes come across like those bongo-playing people who write for NOW magazine and spent the late 1990s trashing MPP offices with their OCAP friends. Still, the amount of money and effort spent by this city to build bike infrastructure in the last five years is just a smidge above zero dollars and that 5% of the population that bikes will never consume 5% of the city's transportation infrastructure funding.

Back