News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 738     0 

The Plague of EIFS

Mount Pleasant and Manor Road. Same architect as the Jarvis building north of the Keg (Sheldon Rosen). Paris.....not.

mtpleasant.jpg

mountpleasant2.jpg

BTW, Carr and Bathurst was brought to us by Kirkor Architects.....

Attachments

• mtpleasant.jpg
    mtpleasant.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 782
  • mountpleasant2.jpg
    mountpleasant2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 755
The old Victorian homes were painted over due to getting a coating of soot from coal furnaces. Even downtown office buildings and the Queen Park buildings were black from the soot. Painting them over was one cheap method of "covering" them over.

Once coal was no longer the preferred method of heating, the air got cleaner. Then people started removing the coating of paint and/or soot. However, most older homes still had little or no insulation.

The old Victorian homes were painted over due to getting a coating of soot from coal furnaces. Even downtown office buildings and the Queen Park buildings were black from the soot. Painting them over was one cheap method of "covering" them over.

Once coal was no longer the preferred method of heating, the air got cleaner. Then people started removing the coating of paint and/or soot. However, most older homes still had little or no insulation.

Smoke from industry too, look back at photos of turn of the 20th century Toronto. It's not EIFS but I'm seeing 1960's/1970's brick apartment buildings bought a year or two ago by Starlight being painted from top to bottom. In my area, their buildings at Wellesley & Homewood & Wellesley east of Church have been done and they have begun painting the building on Dundonald Street just east of Yonge (above the rear of the subway).

Insulbrick might be the historical eqivalent. Except you'd never see it slapped all over McMansions and much on commerical streets as it was cheap and looked terrible. (So I wonder why EIFS is so popular now.)

i am always on the lookout for remaining examples of Insulbrick. there are still bits of it left here and there. the red was the commonest colour of course, but once in a while you would see the odd green, grey, and blue examples.

anyway, it is most certainly the antecedent. and you are right--although it is hard to imagine a whole subdivision of Insulbrick covered McMansions, they are essentially the same thing.

eifsplague.jpg

I walk by this everyday wishing I had super human strength to peel it off with my hands.

Attachments

• eifsplague.jpg
    eifsplague.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 420
  • eifsplague.jpg
    eifsplague.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:
I walk by this everyday wishing I had super human strength to peel it off with my hands.

Well, if you wake up with super human strength one morning, peel it off the buildings to the south of it while you're at it.
And the one to the north of the brick Ukranian Cultural Centre (which they were obviously trying to match).

Christie.jpg

Attachments

• Christie.jpg
    Christie.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 592
EIFS is kind of a Toronto-specific disease. There are other cities that have a ton of brick buildings, including a ton of brick buildings in disrepair: Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, etc. but they have other strategies for dealing with the facade. In most of those places - at least in the more working class neighbourhoods - the choice is to put vinyl siding on top. It's no less offensive than EIFS but it can be more easily removed when a more sensitive owner comes along in the future.

In Peterborough, for example, they stripped off the vinyl siding from a Victorian building to reveal beautiful arches that had been hidden for decades. I don't know if that would be possible with EIFS without completely rebuilding the facade.

878 and 880 Dundas St West (at Broadview)

lA06HxL.jpg

Back