News   May 03, 2024
 413     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 275     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 155     0 

The Plague of EIFS

Then again, that's less like EIFS as the aluminum siding of our time, than like EIFS as the backlit plastic of our time...

What's with places like Dollarama and No Frills? They go to great lengths to be ugly. It would be easy to design attractive signage for the same cost. It's as though they believe their customers want to go to an ugly store in order to feel like they aren't being frivolous or something - like residual behaviour from the notion of paying religious penance or something: If you go into store and waste money on cheap plastic shit - as long as the store is a butt-ugly and the experience is miserable, then you weren't being frivolous.

3ViLUcb.jpg

One of these houses have EIFS.

That pile if EIFS is intended to honour the gods? It's going to get truck by lightening and look like a half eaten ice cream sunday.

I think that more than likely, people put foam insulation on the outside of houses, so that they don't tear up the inside to install insulation. Adding insulation on the inside could also reduce the inside square footage. Putting insulation on the outside, would then allow the covering of the insulation by either siding or EIPS. Unless they first remove the old brickwork, insulate, and then put the brickwork starting at the insulation.

^^^ That side-by-side combo does look awful, but in all honestly, I don't think either side looks great. The left looks old and dated, and the right looks somewhat gaudy, although the gaudiness IMO comes more from the fence and the pillars.

I think that more than likely, people put foam insulation on the outside of houses, so that they don't tear up the inside to install insulation. Adding insulation on the inside could also reduce the inside square footage. Putting insulation on the outside, would then allow the covering of the insulation by either siding or EIPS. Unless they first remove the old brickwork, insulate, and then put the brickwork starting at the insulation.
Yes, this is common. Insulation is a major factor. EIFS is a practical solution. However, it seems practicality has no place for some people in this thread.

Surprised this beauty hasn't been rolled out:

View attachment 19749
Heh. I used to live in that complex. However, I was in a townhouse... which ironically was brick.

Last edited:
True enough--60s-70s aluminum siding is indeed pretty crappy looking, especially in that lovely "avocado" flavour.

I think though that the difference between the two forms of shite mainly lies in the fact that Bad Taste has become a matter of 'go big or go home'

In other words. Architectural-Know-Nothings have become more aggressive, ostentatious and emboldened in the last few decades.

These recent EIFS monstrosities are basically saying "yeah i'm big, ugly and tasteless--so what?? WTF you gonna do about it--huh??"

They're the Rob Ford of renovated houses.

^^^ That side-by-side combo does look awful, but in all honestly, I don't think either side looks great. The left looks old and dated, and the right looks somewhat gaudy, although the gaudiness IMO comes more from the fence and the pillars.

Old and dated?!? It actually looks well kept up, all things considered (and only a hyperpurist might gripe about the fake-muntin windows, etc)--indeed, the only people who'd consider that "old and dated" are exactly the kinds of EIFS-mentality tasteless-parvenu bozos documented in this thread (and, possibly a few Shim-Sutcliffe-besotten hyper-contemporaries around the edges).

Though actually, there's something bizarrely, brazenly intriguing, even endearing, about that clash-of-halves--70s Postmoderns (y'know, back when Venturi/Jencks stances were deemed temptingly avant-garde) would have a field day with this pair...

Back