News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

The geographic divide in Toronto

Not to get too nitpicky about this, but a gallery simply refers to the physical (or virtual) space for displaying works. Museum refers to the (generally) public institution that may contain galleries for displaying artwork.

It's not wrong to call the AGO a gallery, because it is one.

So our city lacks an art museum?

IThe reason why amalgamation happened in the first place was because the inner suburbs were unsustainable without huge subsidies. Mississauga, Vaughan, and the likes will follow suit.
Are you saying that Vaughan will be amalgamated and with whom?

Not to get too nitpicky about this, but a gallery simply refers to the physical (or virtual) space for displaying works. Museum refers to the (generally) public institution that may contain galleries for displaying artwork.

It's not wrong to call the AGO a gallery, because it is one.

I agree. A gallery is a type of space for display, whereas a museum indicates the nature or purpose of a display, which is generally for education or entertainment, as opposed to being displayed for the purpose of selling the things on display or promoting something. Or possibly for-profit vs not-for-profit.

It's like how we tend to use the term apartment and condo as two different things. When the fact is that the former is a type of dwelling and the latter is a type of ownership, meaning that most condos are also apartments.

How I love being pedantic.

Are you saying that Vaughan will be amalgamated and with whom?

Digging up year-old posts, I see.

What I intended to say was that modern suburbs, like post-war suburbs past, will not be self-sufficient in the long term without large amounts of subsidies.

Back