News   Apr 25, 2024
 354     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

The end of FHRITP in Toronto?

OK, you're right. I believe that 'free speech' arguments are - and should be - about your freedom to argue opinions different from mainstream society's. I don't think they're about your 'right' to shout 'fuck her right in the pussy' in a woman's ear. But, you know, if you think it's a free speech issue, go ahead and yell 'fuck her right in the pussy' in your Mom's ear as often as you want. Just don't do it to a working journalist while she is live on TV.

But, you know, I'm done. Y'all want to defend this cretin or continue to argue this, do it without me. But, next time you want to do this, give me advance warning and your Mom's address. I'll come down, witness you make an ass of yourself, then go to your Mom's house and show her the tape. If she laughs, I'll shout FHRITP in her ear. Why do I think I won't have to do that, because only sophomoric a-holes who don't relate well with women think this is funny?

But I haven't defended this, I have condemned it. I think they should be dealt with as a public nuisance - baanned from games and levied a fine.

The rest of this mob rule - not so much.

But, you know, I'm done. Y'all want to defend this cretin or continue to argue this, do it without me. But, next time you want to do this, give me advance warning and your Mom's address. I'll come down, witness you make an ass of yourself, then go to your Mom's house and show her the tape. If she laughs, I'll shout FHRITP in her ear. Why do I think I won't have to do that, because only sophomoric a-holes who don't relate well with women think this is funny?

?

Anyhoo....

But I haven't defended this, I have condemned it. I think they should be dealt with as a public nuisance - baanned from games and levied a fine.

The rest of this mob rule - not so much.

Mob rule is simply an opinion away from democratic rule.

FWIW, I don't see this as a "free speech" issue at all. No one prevented the guy from expressing his opinion in a public forum. (In fact, he was given a bigger platform than most of us get, even when we want to make a serious point.) Moreover, no one is preventing him voicing his opinions again. He's just having to deal with the consequences of his actions. Hydro One isn't gagging him. It's telling him to fuck off for being a douche. Some may think its response wasn't proportional to the offence. I don't, but it doesn't matter. We have labour/employment laws that will determine whether buddy's firing conforms to legal standards/precedents for notice/severance etc.

FWIW, I don't see this as a "free speech" issue at all. No one prevented the guy from expressing his opinion in a public forum. (In fact, he was given a bigger platform than most of us get, even when we want to make a serious point.) Moreover, no one is preventing him voicing his opinions again. He's just having to deal with the consequences of his actions. Hydro One isn't gagging him. It's telling him to fuck off for being a douche. Some may think its response wasn't proportional to the offence. I don't, but it doesn't matter. We have labour/employment laws that will determine whether buddy's firing conforms to legal standards/precedents for notice/severance etc.

Some raging villagers here would like to see this guy thrown in jail, beheaded and fed as tartar to hipsters for being an ass. Reactionaries come in all forms it seems.

I understand it's a grey area but I feel an individual deserves to be fired for something like this. As an employer I wouldn't want an employee of mine behaving offensively and inappropriately in this way. People should be made to take responsibility for their actions, which hopefully would act as a deterrent for others who decide to act in this way in public.

Some raging villagers here would like to see this guy thrown in jail, beheaded and fed as tartar to hipsters for being an ass.

"Reactionaries come in all forms it seems."

Indeed they do.

It would be nice to see a little more context introduced into this discussion.
Should this guy have been fired for his oafishness or charged with menacing? What do you think about Pro football players being released for assaulting their wives/girlfriends off the field, but on security video? Should Dalhousie dental students have been expelled for FHRiTP-type tweets? Is FHRITP a "joke" or an incitement to rape? And what constitutes a workplace - an "off site"' office, a Starbucks, a home computer - or at a stadium with a mic and a video camera? Maybe the reporter or the broadcaster could pursue a civil suit against the FHRITP harassers. Here's hoping the new sex ed curriculum will help our kids become better human beings, and be better prepared for a better world, which no longer runs on Frat House Rules.

Most laws have been written by men, for men and to protect mostly white male privilege. Laws are changed by precedent.

Uh, no we don't.

Ontario allowing employers to fire workers without cause
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...-employers-to-fire-workers-without-cause.html

An employer can fire anybody they want at any time. The issue is whether it's with cause or not, which determines whether the employee is entitled to severance etc.

An employer can fire anybody they want at any time. The issue is whether it's with cause or not, which determines whether the employee is entitled to severance etc.

With some minor exceptions for an unjust firing with or without cause (e.g., because of race or sexual orientation) that would entitle to ex-employee to punitive damages in addition to their severance rights.

That is the case in America. You can be fired if the boss doesn't like your tie, or if you are gay.

So, has the ex-employee tried to get his job back?

That is the case in America. You can be fired if the boss doesn't like your tie, or if you are gay.

So, has the ex-employee tried to get his job back?

You can be fired if the boss doesn't like your tie, or if you are gay.

Any employer in Canada or the US can fire you for any reason, or no reason, if they pay contractually or legally mandated severance requirements.

Firings without severance are a different story.

Also, the majority of US States to not allow you to fire an employee at will because they are gay. Indeed, some US states have protections for workers beyond any Canadian province.

Last edited:
Any employer in Canada or the US can fire you for any reason, or no reason, if they pay contractually or legally mandated severance requirements.

Firings without severance are a different story.

Also, the majority of US States to not allow you to fire an employee at will because they are gay. Indeed, some US states have protections for workers beyond any Canadian province.

They can and they do. I remember a story where a lawyer fired everyone in his office because they wore the wrong colored shirts. This was in Florida and the fired people got no severance and couldn't take legal action.

Back