News   Mar 18, 2024
 679     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 756     0 

The changing character of some of Toronto's malls (Fairview and Scarborough Town Centre)

wild goose chase

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have noticed the nature of the types of stores in and the character of the mall has changed a lot since my childhood, even just a couple decades ago (I'm in my late 20s now). These two malls are ones that I am familiar with growing up so I will mention those, but maybe it is true of the others.

Before it seemed that the malls had more a diversity of stores -- grocery stores, toy stores, office supplies stores, book stores, pet stores etc. Nowaways, however, it seems that many of those types are reduced and a lot more stores are fashion stores, and it seemed this trend started in the 2000s. The malls also seemed to want to project more a classy, fashionable image, and it seemed to attract more teens and young people shopping.

Another thing I remember is that there were more local community events held in Fairview mall and Scarborough Town Centre that are no longer there (eg. petting zoos where animals were brought to the mall, puppet shows for kids).

I don't know if I am just selectively remembering things from childhood, or if there is a general larger trend for these malls to be overall more clothing oriented (maybe part of fast fashion's rise in general)? How come some of the other types of stores are less common -- are these malls drawing from a larger pool of customers rather than locals, who would drop by to pick up supplies or take their kids to buy some toys?

Last edited:
...and Fairview Mall has an Apple Store even, which Scarborough Town Centre does not have.

Apple Stores have the highest sales per square foot of any retailer and Apple products very well fit in with high-end fashion retailers, despite Apple Stores selling primarily electronics.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. That makes sense -- back in the 80s and 90s, less gadgets around for people to have. Electronics and fashion probably crowds out the other types of retail. Perhaps not just a Torontonian thing or even North American but global phenomenon for malls then?

This has happened to the Eaton Centre too...I remember when they used to have a pet store which I loved to visit when I was a kid

Another thing I remember is that there were more local community events held in Fairview mall and Scarborough Town Centre that are no longer there (eg. petting zoos where animals were brought to the mall, puppet shows for kids).

This sort of community events are still around, particularly at B-list malls that are somewhat desperate to attract shoppers.

This has happened to the Eaton Centre too...I remember when they used to have a pet store which I loved to visit when I was a kid

Something happened to pet stores at the malls - it was still fairly prevalent 20 years ago. I think the rent must have gotten too high for this line of business, which seem to have migrated to big boxes.

AoD

The rise of big-box centers has a lot to do with this. Some types of products have surprisingly low margins (toys, non-Apple electronics), and it's very hard for a mall store to turn a profit. In other areas, it's hard to compete with a massive big box outlet, which has far greater selection and can offer better prices. In some malls, retailers pay the landlord a percentage of their sales, so naturally mall owners seek out retailers which bring in more revenue. So that leaves mostly boutique fashion. Then there's the general trend of the disappearing middle-class retailer. Now it seems nearly everything is at either the Dollarama/Walmart level or high-end luxury goods (or what is pretending to be).

Yeah, loss of the pet stores is something I definitely noticed. I loved to check out the animals as a kid (even ones I didn't intend on buying), and it seemed like most of the "big" malls in Toronto I've been to had one then at some point.

This sort of community events are still around, particularly at B-list malls that are somewhat desperate to attract shoppers.

AoD

I guess that makes sense -- business is business, but somehow, my nostalgic memories of the mall acting as a friendly, neighbourhood community hub probably don't comfortably fit with the idea that it is actually means that the mall isn't successful and success means rising above catering to the locals. Oh, well. Guess I have to stop seeing things through rose-colored glasses. :p

I guess that makes sense -- business is business, but somehow, my nostalgic memories of the mall acting as a friendly, neighbourhood community hub probably don't comfortably fit with the idea that it is actually means that the mall isn't successful and success means rising above catering to the locals. Oh, well. Guess I have to stop seeing things through rose-colored glasses. :p

Well mall retail has stratified significantly with the arrival and proliferation of big boxes and cheap anchors (e.g. Walmart) - you're either high end or dollar store - the middle has went the way of the boxes or online.

AoD

As much as I enjoyed looking at the kittens and puppies as a kid (when I didn't know any better), the loss of pet stores which sell animals is a huge win. Good riddance to PJs at Yorkdale and others like it.

Last edited:
As much as I enjoyed looking at the kittens and puppies as a kid (when I didn't know any better), the loss of pet stores which sell animals is a huge win. Good riddance to PJs at Yorkdale and others like it.

I'm guessing you are referring to the humaneness of conditions that pets were bred/kept in. Was PJs particularly different in this regard compared to the box stores and other pet stores left now?

Bayview Village has changed a lot as well. In the 80s, it was a neighbourhood kind of place with a KMart (okay, it wasn't attached to the mall, but still), a small movie theatre and what's now Oliver & Bonacini was first a pub-like place (I think) and then a diner.

Back