News   May 03, 2024
 917     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 564     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 275     0 

Taylor Creek Park Management Plan

I found the "Plan" at https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...gies/taylor-massey-sub-watershed-master-plan/ I could not see any City info on the actual work or when it may finish. Ideas?

As at the last capital budget I did not see any of the projects listed in the plan as freestanding items.

Though, some could be delivered through the Ravine Strategy.

The latter of which is languishing w/very little funding.

There are 2 major projects addressing erosion under way in the Park, the one noted above and another which we have some pics of below Stan Wadlow.

One of the issues here is that the park will be the subject of a major new stormwater interceptor (next phase of the Don River - Coxwell project); but the timeline on that has slipped quite a bit.

Some projects in the plan could be affected by Toronto Water's Project (the pipe) which at this point is likely to be in the 2030s.

There are other projects which should be able to proceed, if PF&R can find the money.

As at the last capital budget I did not see any of the projects listed in the plan as freestanding items.

Though, some could be delivered through the Ravine Strategy.

The latter of which is languishing w/very little funding.

There are 2 major projects addressing erosion under way in the Park, the one noted above and another which we have some pics of below Stan Wadlow.

One of the issues here is that the park will be the subject of a major new stormwater interceptor (next phase of the Don River - Coxwell project); but the timeline on that has slipped quite a bit.

Some projects in the plan could be affected by Toronto Water's Project (the pipe) which at this point is likely to be in the 2030s.

There are other projects which should be able to proceed, if PF&R can find the money.
Thanks, but what is the schedule for the completion of the current work of which you just provided photos (just west of Dawes Road)?

Thanks, but what is the schedule for the completion of the current work of which you just provided photos (just west of Dawes Road)?

Just east of Dawes - December '23 LOL

They're running a bit late.

The structural work looks close'ish, they might be able to wrap in another month; but then they'll likely need to repave the bike trail, and then restoration crews needs to move in and plant.

Ideally that planting would be going on right now; but anywhere up to the end of May is acceptable. If they slip past that, then restoration should really be deferred to fall and/or spring '25 depending on the plant mix chosen.

Last edited:
A small missing link was recently remedied - the bridge over Taylor Creek from a path down from St Clair to the multi-use trail on the north side connecting Birchmount and Warden has finally been replaced and it is a dandy.
1000003529.jpg

I pass through on that trail regularly on a cycling route I have established which incorporates sections of the Taylor creek valley, the Gatineau Hydro corridor, Pine Hills cemetery, Hydro greenspace, Charles Sauriol, the Don Mills Rail Trail, and E. T. Seton Park.

From my observation the most jubilant benefactors of the bridge replacement might be a small crowd of beer-drinkers who gather at midday at a retaining wall just west of birchmount and who now have a more direct route to the beer store on st. Clair

The (as it was, before the recent construction) underpass at Dawes is an excellent example of how it could/should perhaps be designed for the underpasses at St. Clair and Birchmount and St. Clair and Warden. The latter being what I, an admittedly rather brave cyclist, would describe as a frightening intersection due to the volume and speed and size/composition of the vehicular traffic.

I cannot imagine what it would take to engineer a pedestrian/cyclist path along the culvert that channels the creek under that intersection, but it is nonetheless a great idea.

Back