News   May 01, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 345     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 360     0 

Swaminarayan Mandir/Canadian Museum of Cultural Heritage of Indo-Canadians

Thanks for the restatement.

I have a decided tendency to regress so often in this area of humour - self-inflicted or outwardly sarcastic - that it scares even me, and it needs to stop!!!

Until I actually visit the site, I've already posted everything I feel like saying about it...a whole two lines back on page 2.

some pics from the opening.....wow......

450_temple1_070721.jpg

450_temple4_070721.jpg

450_temple2_070721.jpg

Harper officially opens elaborate Hindu temple
CTV.ca News Staff

After 18 months of construction and millions in fundraising efforts, a one-of-a-kind Hindu temple opened Sunday in Toronto.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper was on-hand to celebrate the official unveiling of the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir.

Harper said the $40 million architectural marvel represents India's and Canada's embracement of spiritual and ethnic pluralism.

"Canada's accommodation of diversity is not without precedent," Harper said, addressing a large crowd.

"There have been forerunners -- and of these perhaps none is as note-worthy as India."

Located at Hwy 427 and Finch Avenue in north-west Toronto, the temple is an architectural masterpiece. Built with Turkish limestone and Italian marble, the temple was built by artisans armed with chisels, hammers and ancient Hindu doctrine outlining how a holy place should be constructed.

The entire project was created by the Hindu community both in Canada and in India. About 2,000 Indian craftsmen were hired to bring the temple to life. About 100 were brought to Toronto to construct the temple while about 1,800 were hired in India to carve out some of the intricate, detailed carvings that adorn the temple.

Harper said the fruit of the community's labour will give people a glimpse into how Indo-Canadians have influenced Canada's cultural mosaic.

"The facility will inspire visitors to appreciate how the spiritually diverse, multi-ethnic heritage of indo-Canadians has contributed to the fields of arts, science, education and pluralism," Harper said.

Here are some details about the massive project:

More than 24,000 pieces of the temple were sculpted in India -- with each of the parts marked with a bar code to facilitate construction.
The project started in 2005 and opens officially on July 22, 2007.
No steel was used in the construction. It is all stone piled on stone.
Not only did the Hindu community raise the majority of the $40 million it took to build the temple, they also served up 400 volunteers to help the project along. They did it all without asking a cent from the government.

The celebration started early Saturday afternoon with a procession in the downtown core.

Starting at 4 p.m. on the grounds of Queen's Park, a colourful parade made its way down to Wellington St. complete with music and dancers.

The parade carried several idols that were to be indoctrinated in the temple Sunday morning. It was meant as a symbolic gesture to introduce the deities to the city, their new land.

BAPS, which stands for Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha, has an international following. The temple will not only offer religious services to the community, it will also hold classes and the Canadian Museum of Cultural Heritage of Indo-Canadians.

some incredible pics from la boo@flickr...

01rn3.jpg

02zf1.jpg

03nb8.jpg

04eq3.jpg

05hr6.jpg

06fm8.jpg

07fp1.jpg

08bh9.jpg

09oo6.jpg

more pics from la boo@flickr ...hard to believe this is in North America...

10ae0.jpg

11zn9.jpg

12yf1.jpg

13lz1.jpg

14ey3.jpg

15bd7.jpg

16fo4.jpg

17qy8.jpg

18qt4.jpg

19ja4.jpg

20ki6.jpg

21gf1.jpg

22jv2.jpg

23tz3.jpg

25xc8.jpg

Oh my God... still hard to believe that this thing is in Canada. Even harder to believe that it only costed $40 million. I gotta check this thing out.

This place is stunning! I'm so impressed. "Wow" is right!

holy friggen detail!!

almost makes me want to convert. ;)

will that marble & limestone stand the test of time? isn't there a problem with flaking from acid rain?

("Feed Me!!!!" Little Shop of Horrors) ... so here we go again

Lovely pictures. I hope all of you who went to the opening, had a wonderful time. But returning to the matter at hand … we continue to not read carefully each other’s contributory posts – myself included – or not read the prior posts at all – as is lately the trend on this particular thread … so here we go again:

more pics from la boo@flickr ...hard to believe this is in North America...

Why is it so hard to believe? There are two, nearly identical Mandirs, already in the United States (cited earlier in Post #48); and that Hindu sect has grown in significant numbers in North America, proudly displaying their growth on the internet, and at their various cultural centres. I’ll save you some time on the visuals of the Mandirs, you should have a déjà vu experience just by looking at them juxtaposed:

First Mandir of this type in North America – Houston (left); second Mandir of this type in North America and the largest in USA – Chicago (right); third Mandir of this type in North America – Toronto (next row, two photos)

houstonmandir003-f.jpg
chicagomandirf.jpg

247753_3.JPG
450_temple1_070721.jpg

... I'm confused. Which one is at 427/Finch?

Post #48 points out that for this type of architecture there are typically two structures: the Mandir and the Haveli. Small point, but I will add one more level of unintended confusion, between a Mandir or Temple and Haveli or Cultural Centre: they are often labeled by the same name of Mandir, since they are so closely linked in that sects' religious tenets. The Haveli's materials and detailing will vary more than the Mandirs from what I've seen, but there is more in common than is different between these second structures. Below is Toronto's Haveli (left) compared to Chicago's (right):

torontohavelif.jpg
ChicagoHaveli.jpg

The fascinating woodwork, icons, rugs etc, can be matched or are identical from one Haveli to another of this type. But that will have to await another post.

Incidentally, to make one more comment on the subject of Mandirs, there is a type that does significantly differ from place to place. They are referred to as Hari Mandirs, of which there are many more of these, especially in the United States. The explanation is too involved to get into now, but maybe we will find a reason to post something on this later.
________________​

Wow! It's time for my once every 5 year visit to Rexdale. I thought that the intricate carving of stone and wood was something of a lost art. Can we hire these skilled craftsmen to make bas reliefs for downtown condos, please?

Back