2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 568     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Supertall and near-Supertall Rumour/Speculation Thread

More supertall news:

LeftCoaster on SSP said:
BTW just saw the first renderings of one of the supertalls (yes renderings now exist) and it looks spectacular. Very cool design, not necessarily an instant icon but definitely no boring Toronto box.

Just an fyi, not to be too much of a downer, but it could get chopped into two smaller towers at this point. Will depend on how the financials shake out.

As posted below by caltrane74:

LeftCoaster on SSP said:
There is no height associated with the project as the plans are far too preliminary, but it will be well over 300m if it goes ahead as currently envisioned, likely around 330m.

Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin: Any idea when the renderings will be released to the public?

Not for a while, the project is still in its infancy and the development team is still not solidified, nor are the plans. This one is a while off, but it is very much a real project and has some very big reputable names behind it.

Last edited:
Leftcoaster is saying this proposal is very preliminary but it could be around 330 meters if it it isn't broken into two towers.

Given a typical floor height, that works out to around 100 stories. Is this one of the two previously rumoured 100s towers, or a different one? From what LeftCoaster says, this sounds like a new project, perhaps one of the three additional supertalls that WhipperSnapper mentioned.

Last edited:
Wait so does that mean there's a supertall in the works for somewhere outside downtown?

I believe that the two were talking about one supertall being planned for Yorkville, as opposed to another one being planned for "downtown", meaning in or near the CBD.

A big problem is that we really do not know how many supertalls are in the planning stages in Toronto. WhipperSnapper on SSP mentioned two for certain, plus three more possible projects. The project that LeftCoaster talked about is clearly in a very early stage of development, it might be one of these five projects, or it might be supertall number six! I am not even getting into all to 70s to 80s buildings in the works, as they are likely to fall short of official supertall status.

What I gather from the numerous rumours and reports is that two projects are close to being officially announced (one in Yorkville and one possibly being in the traditional downtown), with at least three additional supertalls (and possibly even more) in earlier stages of development. Of the two that are close to being announced, one must be the Synergy tower, backed by a UAE developer.

It is frustrating that we have no way of determining which project that each rumour/report refers to -- are they all referring to the same project(s), or are they each about a different tower? And if so, which report goes with which project? Street addresses and heights would be nice, too (although if the developers are still assembling the land packages, this would not be made public for fear of driving up the land costs).

Last edited:
I think leftcoaster mentioned that it's in the 75story range. Possibly a high end hotel/condo in Yorkville?

I think leftcoaster mentioned that it's in the 75story range. Possibly a high end hotel/condo in Yorkville?

Possibly. I was under the impression that LeftCoaster was talking about two separate buildings -- first a 75s project and then later a 330m project.

Out of curiosity, is there a location on Yonge just north of Bloor that could fit such a large building?

A big problem is that we really do not know how many supertalls are in the planning stages in Toronto. WhipperSnapper on SSP mentioned two for certain, plus three more possible projects. The project that LeftCoaster talked about is clearly in a very early stage of development, it might be one of these five projects, or it might be supertall number six! I am not even getting into all to 70s to 80s buildings in the works, as they are likely to fall short of official supertall status.

80 Storeys in Yorkville (80ish, storeys) in Yorkville, could make it to supertall with a nice finish on the mechanical top. (Fins /Spire/Mechanical/Feature)

The Holt's twin tower project makes intuitive sense because the previous project for Cumberland terrace was talking too long to come to market. I had sensed something different was being contemplated.

Here is a list i found while reading about Ten York on the Global Toronto website, interesting to see 45 bay and 120 harbour on the list.

Listing the tallest buildings in Toronto
TORONTO - Completed in 1894, the Beard Building was considered Toronto’s first skyscraper. Since then, many noteworthy skyscrapers have been built in Toronto. Today, Build Toronto – a city-owned development firm – announced, in partnership with Tridel, a new 75-storey condo building.

The building will be the tallest condo-building in Toronto.

We’ve decided to list the 10 tallest buildings in Toronto and show you where Build Toronto’s development at 10 York St will measure up against the rest.

6. 120 Harbour

Though not even under construction, the proposed tower to be built at 120 Harbour would also tie the Build Toronto site in floors.

7. 45 Bay Street

The proposed tower at 45 Bay Street will have less floors than others on this list – coming in at only 47 – but will still be one of the tallest in Toronto.

9. Build Toronto Development at 10 York St.

The development announced today will be Toronto’s ninth tallest building. Though it will have more floors than the Trump Tower, it will be approximately 100 feet shorter - and only - 240 metres.

http://www.globaltoronto.com/top+10/6442527056/story.htm

Maybe it is time after all to get that supertall at Yonge and Bloor, as this area evolves to become Toronto's Midtown equivalent.

Here is a list i found while reading about Ten York on the Global Toronto website, interesting to see 45 bay and 120 harbour on the list.

Somebody should inform them that Ten York and 120 Harbour are two names for the same building.

Back