News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 888     0 

Sudbury 22 December 2023

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised! While the central area has seen better days, it is on the upswing. Architecture school has led the way and just opened Francophone centre is a next vital step. Next up is talk of a new arena and library should accelerate progress. Downside is a 1980s mall that has died and a one way street network.

These big moves have led to a ton of small renovations such as the outdoor theatre and conversion of an old Anglican Church into n events hall and performance space. All of the emphasis on housing should get more built as there is plenty of demand.

IMG_5892.jpeg
IMG_5891.jpeg
IMG_5896.jpeg
IMG_5895.jpeg
IMG_5894.jpeg
IMG_5899.jpeg
IMG_5898.jpeg
IMG_5897.jpeg

I don't know - I've often heard it referred to as Ontario's ugliest city, and there isn't much in these photos to dispel that impression 🤣

I don't know - I've often heard it referred to as Ontario's ugliest city, and there isn't much in these photos to dispel that impression 🤣
It's all a matter of perspective I suppose. I would hang that handle on Windsor or Sarnia, but to each their own.

Pretty much every northern community is resource-based, some relying on a single industry, and inherently 'blue collar'. Even most of the so-called 'old money' stems from the ground. It's as much a mind set as it an economy; you don't see a lot of art galleries, stage theatres and bistros in farming towns either except to satisfy and entertain urban tourists. People might live in a modest home, but they probably also have any combination of a boat, big trailer, camp on the water, etc.

Large southern cities became centres of banking and government. That, along with different geography and geology, facilitated the building of mansions and large lush public buildings and spaces. In early days, much of that wealth came from the land. Even today, many large mining and exploration companies have their head offices in Toronto and report their earnings from there, but not a penny of those earnings come from there. In the older mining towns, there might have been a nice house for the manager, chief engineer, geologist and doctor.

The resource-based economy also means that it ebbs and flows. Communities struggle to diversify to try and even out the peaks and valleys and some have been better than others. I think Sudbury is much more diversified than it used to be when Inco and Falconbridge - both chasing the same market - were pretty much the only games in town. I think they have also made great strides in greening-up the place. Bare rock with a thin soil cover is what founded the area in the first place, and past smelting and refining practices pretty much cooked off what did exist, but places like Coniston - where they practiced early lunar techniques - is much greener than it used to be.

It's all a matter of perspective I suppose. I would hang that handle on Windsor or Sarnia, but to each their own.

Pretty much every northern community is resource-based, some relying on a single industry, and inherently 'blue collar'. Even most of the so-called 'old money' stems from the ground. It's as much a mind set as it an economy; you don't see a lot of art galleries, stage theatres and bistros in farming towns either except to satisfy and entertain urban tourists. People might live in a modest home, but they probably also have any combination of a boat, big trailer, camp on the water, etc.

Large southern cities became centres of banking and government. That, along with different geography and geology, facilitated the building of mansions and large lush public buildings and spaces. In early days, much of that wealth came from the land. Even today, many large mining and exploration companies have their head offices in Toronto and report their earnings from there, but not a penny of those earnings come from there. In the older mining towns, there might have been a nice house for the manager, chief engineer, geologist and doctor.

The resource-based economy also means that it ebbs and flows. Communities struggle to diversify to try and even out the peaks and valleys and some have been better than others. I think Sudbury is much more diversified than it used to be when Inco and Falconbridge - both chasing the same market - were pretty much the only games in town. I think they have also made great strides in greening-up the place. Bare rock with a thin soil cover is what founded the area in the first place, and past smelting and refining practices pretty much cooked off what did exist, but places like Coniston - where they practiced early lunar techniques - is much greener than it used to be.
Agreed @lenaitch, it's all a matter of perspective.

As you say, Sudbury has made great strides to diversify. That lunar practice terrain is ancient history and is now much greener.

The top employer in Sudbury is health care and has been for several years. Health Sciences North (HSN) is the Level 1 Trauma Centre for the region. Their catchment area is extensive and is serviced by the YSB based EMS helicopter.

Sudbury is also home to the HSN Research Institute and the Northeast Cancer Centre.

Education is the second highest employer. Laurentian University, Cambrian College, College Boreal and the new NOSM University call Sudbury home.

Sudbury is also home to Science North. https://www.sciencenorth.ca/science-north

And the Sudbury Theatre Centre. https://yestheatre.com/yes-theatre/

And the new Refettorio. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/refettorio-grand-opening-romeo-and-juliet-1.6945169

To each their own :)

I'm biased because of my frequent travels throughout central Europe, where seemingly every little podunk, irrelevant village with hardly anything going on still manages to be visually stunning, so you'll have to forgive me when I remain pessimistic about many places here, especially regional centres of notable size like Sudbury. I'm spoiled by what I've seen!

I'm biased because of my frequent travels throughout central Europe, where seemingly every little podunk, irrelevant village with hardly anything going on still manages to be visually stunning, so you'll have to forgive me when I remain pessimistic about many places here, especially regional centres of notable size like Sudbury. I'm spoiled by what I've seen!
No doubt. I imagine the UK is similar. I would guess those villages, which are multiple centuries old, grew up around a church and/or a castle. Like Ontario or prairie farming communities, the villages would have served as service and economic centres for the surrounding farming area.

Much different than a comparatively young townsite growing up around a mine or mill in an area of rock and muskeg and, once the industry dies, the money leaves.

No doubt. I imagine the UK is similar. I would guess those villages, which are multiple centuries old, grew up around a church and/or a castle. Like Ontario or prairie farming communities, the villages would have served as service and economic centres for the surrounding farming area.

Much different than a comparatively young townsite growing up around a mine or mill in an area of rock and muskeg and, once the industry dies, the money leaves.

Edit - Ya, I don't know what happened here.

Back