News   May 09, 2024
 810     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 544     0 

Subway Revitalization Project

Andrew3D

Member Bio
Reaction score
I haven't heard or seen anything being done on this subject in a while. Does anybody here know if they'll still be proceeding with this?

St. Patrick Station
548737337_ddc91b408b_o.jpg

Museum Station
548737379_8e55ea9eea_o.jpg

Osgoode Station
548737387_b567ad1e27_o.jpg

The museum idea reminds me of one of the PAris metro stops for the Louvre. Not original but pretty neat. Not sure about those egyptian mummies though.

Darkstar and I spoke with Adam Giambrone at a fundraising event the other evening and we found out from him that Museum, St. Patrick and Pape stations will be completely renovated and upgraded beginning this year and Osgoode in the next 2-3 years.

Pape and Museum almost ready to go

The tender has actually been awarded for Museum.

Unfortunately the upgrade doesn't touch the mezzanine.

Its unclear whether the new second exit approved for the station will be built in keeping with the new theme.

Pape has just had the conceptual design approved.

The report is available at the TTC website at this link.

www.ttc.ca/postings/gso-comrpt/

Highlights: Station to be tiled with 'artificial stone', ceiling at the platform level to be removed and the exposed roof and pipes painted. ( ed. note I hope this looks better than Sherbourne). Elevators are to be added, along with a new second exit from the platform level. Finally the busplatform is to be consolidated.

Neither St. Patirck nor Osgoode have been tendered. I don't believe their final detailed design is yet approved ( I could be wrong).

There is a requirement that the Toronto Community Foundation contribute a minimum amount before the TTC will proceed (this has been done for Museum).

Pape is not part of the cultural stations on the University line, but instead being upgraded as part of State-of-Good-Repair.

After Pape, Bloor-Yonge is next (lower level).

Victoria Park and Islington are both recieve massive overhauls related to development proposals at those stations. Vic. Park should begin next year, at a cost of $26,000,000. They are demolishing the elevated deck, building a new ground level bus terminal, buidling a new entrance facing Vic. Park, adding windows to the subway platform level and making the station accessible.

Islington's new design isn't finished yet, but will involve replacing the current bus terminal, entrance and some parking facilities to make way for a new office tower, the new headquarters of SNC Lavalin.

you know what, even though public transit in our city has been quite bad since the 80's it nice to see there is something going on with it.

Yeah upgrading the stations not only for looks but for better movement would be better. Serious every time i go on the Subway i feel like i am in 1988.

There's nothing wrong with Museum station the way it is. It's an underused station so it's pretty well maintained, probably the one of the best preserved of the original stations. Spending money on these crappy Disney styled columns is just plain stupid--there are so many more stations that actually need to be renovated.

I'm not a big fan of any of the Diamond + Schmitt station designs. Osgoode and St. Patrick stations, aside from new lighting fixtures, are nothing but images plastered onto existing walls. We've already seen that with large ads plastered onto walls at stations like St. George (where, after a few days, the ads are mostly ripped off by vandals).

The proposal for the Museum station platform contrasts greatly with the interior spaces in both the ROM Crystal and the Gardiner Museum, in a bad way. The only prominent features on the platform are the historicist columns, which appear out of place. Chances are the columns will be terribly detailed when finished, and will become the target for all sorts of vandalism. The rest of the design lacks originality.

I would like to see Museum station as a foretaste for visitors of what they can expect architecturally from the nearby museums. I'd like to see the design reflect the interesting play of light that can be found in the galleries in both the ROM and the Gardiner Museum. Perhaps KPMB should be the firm designing Museum station.

With respect to Islington: it could use a good steam cleaning in the meantime.

..where, after a few days, the ads are mostly ripped off by vandals

wylie, don't you consider the plastering of the subway stations with wall to wall ads is vandalism...;)

That said, I have to agree, Museum is in fine condition and is not in need of a revamp- maybe another connection directly to the museum would be good, but other than that its not necessary..Yonge station would have been first on my list of revamps..its horrible..also I think they should remove all the dropped ceilings in the stations- it would make the stations feel roomier.

D&S suck!

p5

Re Museum station, a TTC document recommends awarding a contract to Libeskind to redesign the entrances to the Station. The document mentions 8 or so stations, all to be renovated by architectural firms in some way related with the immediate vicinity. Some aesthete has stormed Davisville ...

No point in redoing the mezzanine at this point. I assume plots are hatching with the ROM and the U of T to rework the whole zone around the south end of the ROM and the music and law faculties.

And what's wrong with kitsch mummy pillars? I spent too much of the 1980's in Museum station to have any love for its grimy butter-yellow tiles. If someone with an imagination wants to have a go, let's pop the cork.

If they go ahead with these renos, I hope they pipe the Ride of the Valkyries into Osgoode whenever trains swoosh into the station.

But what a shame we're held hostage by the whims of a monied, philanthropic, cultural elite when it comes to deciding which stations get pretty/vulgar makeovers.

I like the theme of the proposed Museum station upgrade. The other two seem less creative in the choice to simply stick pictures on the wall. Museum looks like a complete idea with it backlit station sign, 3D theme elements, and new roof contours.

If they go ahead with these renos, I hope they pipe the Ride of the Valkyries into Osgoode whenever trains swoosh into the station.

Yes! Even the non-cultured masses would get that one, or at least think they got that one, thanks to Apocolypse Now and its various spoofs in film and television.

Can the TTC's automated stop lady sing the high notes?

Die folgende Untergrundbahnstation ist Osgoode. Osgoode Untergrundbahnstation.

Ankommen bei Osgoode. Osgoode Untergrundbahnstation.

Back