News   Apr 25, 2024
 360     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Stronger connection with Eastern (613) or Southwestern (519) Ontario?

Quebec and Atlantic Canada are probably the most "old stock" population, who aren't First Nations/Metis, in North America north of Mexico, with maybe the American South (including African-Americans whose roots definitely go to colonial times) tied or probably close?

The youngest "stock" region (the region as a whole, not narrowed down to only cities, since many cities have double digits foreign-born %) in North America in terms of population -- British Columbia? Southern Florida?

Last edited:
Returning somewhat back to topic, it's interesting to note that there used to be quite a difference in the politics between eastern and southwestern Ontario, with the former being a bastion of UEL/Orange Order Protestant Toryism while the southwest was more Scottish and non-Loyalist American and supportive of "Clear Grit" liberal reform. For a long time, the area of strength for the provincial Liberals was the rural and small-town southwest; ironically today it is a very weak region for the provincial Liberals.

Returning somewhat back to topic, it's interesting to note that there used to be quite a difference in the politics between eastern and southwestern Ontario, with the former being a bastion of UEL/Orange Order Protestant Toryism while the southwest was more Scottish and non-Loyalist American and supportive of "Clear Grit" liberal reform. For a long time, the area of strength for the provincial Liberals was the rural and small-town southwest; ironically today it is a very weak region for the provincial Liberals.

I thought eastern Ontario was much more Scottish, especially with Kingston. Don't a lot of eastern Ontario Scottish descendants trace their roots to the Highland Clearances?

Glengarry County had a Scottish Highlander element and Lanark received a lot of Lowland Scots. I'll have to check again but I think the Scottish origin population was relatively higher in SW Ontario (especially compared to the Irish both Protestant and Catholic).

I don't think Kingston was ever particularly Scottish - though I guess it being Sir John A.'s hometown and Queen's University having been founded by Presbyterians give it a "Scottish" image.

They are roughly equally weighted for me. I had lots of family in the 613 until relatively recently, but I went to school (and stayed for a number of years afterward) in the 519.

Glengarry County had a Scottish Highlander element and Lanark received a lot of Lowland Scots. I'll have to check again but I think the Scottish origin population was relatively higher in SW Ontario (especially compared to the Irish both Protestant and Catholic).

I don't think Kingston was ever particularly Scottish - though I guess it being Sir John A.'s hometown and Queen's University having been founded by Presbyterians give it a "Scottish" image.

That's interesting, my Dad's side (Scottish) settled in Frontenac county just north of Kingston in the 1840's. I'd assumed it was mostly Scot's in the area - some of the family in further generations did move down to Kingston and other towns in the area.

So, ya, much stronger connection with 613. (nothing in the 519) my Mom's side is a bit further west (306)

Also a lot of the Irish Protestant immigrants to the region were Ulster Scots, presumably.

Looking at the 1871 census today, Glengarry County was the most Scottish (heavily Catholic Highlanders) of all but the southwestern counties overall had a higher proportion of Scots.

Back