News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 881     0 

Streetcar Tracks on Adelaide

The section of track on Adelaide between Spadina and Charlotte has actually been in continuous use for years. The Kingston car has been turning King > Spadina > Adelaide > Charlotte > King eastbound for a long time. The Adelaide > Charlotte loop has been used to short turn Spadina cars for years. I believe that cars going out of service from the Spadina and Lakeshore lines use Adelaide>Charlotte>King rather than turning onto King Street directly from Spadina.

Personally I have spoken with an Operator in a new car when they were first being introduced a number of years ago - temporarily stopped on Charlotte about to reenter service on Spadina, to ask about operational issues with the new cars.

So many TTS Streetcar Operators will have used the section of track along Adelaide between Spadina and Charlotte.
I mis-spoke. I meant Charlotte to Victoria and have fixed. The unused section is Charlotte to Victoria, probably 10 times longer than Spadina to Charlotte.

I mis-spoke. I meant Charlotte to Victoria and have fixed. The unused section is Charlotte to Victoria, probably 10 times longer than Spadina to Charlotte.
More than 10 times.

But hang on - they are doing Adelaide from York to Charlotte? I'd assumed it was just from York to Victoria.

More than 10 times.

But hang on - they are doing Adelaide from York to Charlotte? I'd assumed it was just from York to Victoria.
Charlotte to west of York was done in 2022. 2023 has seen most of Adelaide from west of York to west of Victoria done with a few missing areas at this time. York has seen some trackwork on both sides of Adelaide including the switches.

None of Adelaide has seen any overhead work from Charlotte to Victoria in 2023 installed.

Charlotte loop is only 2 short blocks where Adelaide work is 11 long blocks.

We will not see any 501 detours as plan until June-September with the possibility of 501 using Adelaide long before using York. This is assuming TTC doesn't sit on their rear installing the OS based on York work than ASP which is their thing these days for OS work.

More than 10 times.

Yes, MLX are paying for the sections of Adelaide from Victoria to York plus the work ON York (to use for 501 diversions caused by Ontario Line work) and the TTC are dealing with the track from York to Charlotte (to use for diversions). Apart from 2 short sections, the track is all laid ON Adelaide.

EDIT: Take a look at: https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...ucture-projects/adelaide-street-construction/

Last edited:
Yes, MLX are paying for the sections of Adelaide from Victoria to York plus the work ON York (to use for 501 diversions caused by Ontario Line work) and the TTC are dealing with the track from York to Charlotte (to use for diversions). Apart from 2 short sections, the track is all laid ON Adelaide.

EDIT: Take a look at: https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...ucture-projects/adelaide-street-construction/
Wow. They've been talking about it for years, but I always figured they were doing the bare minimum for this.

Though the reason this worked well back in the day, is that Adelaide was a 2-way street, and the diversion worked in both directions (like Wellington and Richmond).

No sign of the track laying re-starting on the two gaps on Adelaide west of Victoria yet, but they are (finally) dealing with the dangerously sunken track drain @ Toronto St.

Adelaide Street East at Toronto Street - essential track drain repair​

Effective March 2, 2024 to March 3, 2024

What we are doing and why
This weekend, TTC will be repairing a sinking track drain on Adelaide Street East just east of Toronto Street. The work will involve minor excavation and removal of old concrete, adjusting the track drain, and placing new concrete.

What to expect during construction
  • Work activities will begin at 7 a.m. on Saturday and include concrete saw-cutting and concrete breaking/removal.
  • Concrete breaking/removal work will be completed during the daytime.
  • New concrete will be poured into the track area and set to cure. A centre lane restriction around the repair area will be in place throughout Sunday to allow the concrete to cure.
  • Noise, dust, and vibration associated with construction can be expected with this work. Efforts will be made to keep levels to a minimum.

Work hours

• Work will take place on Saturday between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m.
  • Concrete will be left to cure on Sunday, with the road expected to re-open by Monday.

Did anyone see the absolute mess of traffic signals they have installed for eastbound Adelaide at Church?

Two regular car traffic through signals, and two extra car traffic left turn signals, two bicycle lane signals, and two transit signals with left turn aspects. There's eight signals hanging over that road there for only the one eastbound direction.

Not sure why they didn't go with the style of the regular car traffic signals with an added white bar aspect on top like they have elsewhere in the City for streetcar turn locations.

Last edited:
Update:

"For the last few weeks, our contractor has been working on some remaining water service connections. The water service work was finished up on Friday and some of the remaining underground utility work resumed today.

The TTC track work is very weather-dependent and can only be completed with prolonged temperatures above freezing. We are aiming to have the two remaining sections of TTC tracks installed in April, as the weather improves.

We intend to complete the work this spring, well in advance of the MX work on York Street. I’m hoping to update the project website in the next week or so as we know more about the remaining utility work."

The TTC track work is very weather-dependent and can only be completed with prolonged temperatures above freezing
This isn't correct surely? IIRC, Canada literally "wrote the book" on concreting in below zero C temperatures. Those of you engaged in construction please correct me if I'm wrong but I'd have thought concreting could proceed in these relatively mild temperatures, as long as measures were taken to stop it freezing, like insulated shutters and coverings, mixing the concreate with warm water.....

This isn't correct surely? IIRC, Canada literally "wrote the book" on concreting in below zero C temperatures. Those of you engaged in construction please correct me if I'm wrong but I'd have thought concreting could proceed in these relatively mild temperatures, as long as measures were taken to stop it freezing, like insulated shutters and coverings, mixing the concreate with warm water.....
I assume they meant that they did not want to spend extra $$$ on pouring concrete when it is cold. Of course, it IS possible to pour concrete when it's cold (look around!) but the tracks on Adelaide will not (and cannot) be used for several months (due to slowness by MLX) so it really would be wasteful to pay extra to have things rushed.

The issue is not the concrete itself, but it may be the condition of the ground underneath. Makes sense to wait until the freeze-thaw cycles are done.

Also, rail prefers certain temperatures to manage stresses and tension.

- Paul

The TTC have, at least, started to put up the overhead on Adelaide west of York/University - the hangers were up in many blocks. There were also signs yesterday that the City are getting back to filling in the two short gaps in the tracks (just west of Victoria for 20 metres and just west of Bay for about 40). Not so clear how MLX are getting on on with the electrical and other underground work on York Street north of Adelaide and certainly no sign of the new east to south curve from Queen to York or new rail on York from Queen to Adelaide.

The MLX guys seem to be moving on a bit more on York Street.

UPDATE: Construction of new streetcar infrastructure on York Street

Start date: As early as April 4, 2024
Hours of work: Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 12 a.m. with some weekend and overnight work as indicated.

See: https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/...e_-_York_Street_Track_Work_-_April_4_2024.pdf

1711922787326.png

Last edited:
Hereris latest City info:

April 2024: Construction Update​

Starting the week of April 8, the two remaining sections of streetcar track installation will resume on Adelaide Street. The first section will be between Yonge Street and Victoria Street. The second section will be between Sheppard Street and Bay Street. The contractor will excavate the road, pour a new concrete foundation and install the streetcar tracks.

Adelaide Street will be reduced to one eastbound vehicle lane during this work.

Work on the streetcar track installation is expected to be completed by April 19.

Work Phases

Watermain Replacement

• York Street to Bay Street: Completed
  • Bay Street to Victoria Street: Completed
Cycle track relocation
  • Bathurst Street to York Street: Completed
  • Victoria Street to Parliament Street: Completed
  • York Street to Victoria Street: Spring 2024
Utility relocation
  • York Street to Victoria Street: Completed
Road Resurfacing
  • Victoria Street to Church Street: Completed
  • York Street to Victoria Street: Spring 2024
Streetcar Track Reinstatement
  • West of York Street to Charlotte Street: Completed
  • York Street to Victoria Street: April 2024

I'm dying for this to wrap up - Adelaide being down to one lane past York has been an absolute nightmare...

Back