News   Jun 03, 2024
 29     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 717     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 534     1 

Street Canvassers

Do any of these charity fundraisers on the street actually work? I'm just curious because I almost never see anyone stop and make some kind of donation. I was going to make a donation to SK once then I was informed that it couldn't be a one time deal. Had to be monthy. That turned me off for good.....

It must work or they wouldn't keep doing it. Kind of like those annoying telemarketers.

To the OP - take their pictures and be obvious about it. Do it each day they come back. They won't like it and will stay away.

I encountered charity street fundraising in NYC, although surprisingly not on the same scale as in Toronto.

They seem to be everywhere during rush hour here. Most come in pairs who remain stationary and ask passers by if they have a moment for whatever cause. There have been particularly aggressive ones hanging around the King & University area around 5pm. They'll single someone out in a crowd and follow them for an entire block using McCarthyist questioning style until the victim manages to persuade them to stop.

I'm sick and tired of these people bugging me nearly everyday to and from work and frequently on weekends when I'm out wandering about. Given where I live and where I work it's nearly impossible to avoid them. I usually try to avoid them and am frequently surprised to see them show up on lesser traveled streets. I make it a point to remember the charities and NEVER donate to them again, ever, even if they stop engaging in this sort of activity. Once you make my shit list, you ain't coming off. :mad:

I haven't run into any aggressive ones yet though. I'm not sure exactly how I'd react. My patience with people has worn really thin over the years and I don't like people bugging me or invading my space.

I encountered charity street fundraising in NYC, although surprisingly not on the same scale as in Toronto.

They seem to be everywhere during rush hour here. Most come in pairs who remain stationary and ask passers by if they have a moment for whatever cause. There have been particularly aggressive ones hanging around the King & University area around 5pm. They'll single someone out in a crowd and follow them for an entire block using McCarthyist questioning style until the victim manages to persuade them to stop.

I wonder if anyone ever stymies them with a 'can't you leave me alone, have you no decency, sir, at long last?'

On second thought, now I want to do that.

I'm sick and tired of these people bugging me nearly everyday to and from work and frequently on weekends when I'm out wandering about. Given where I live and where I work it's nearly impossible to avoid them. I usually try to avoid them and am frequently surprised to see them show up on lesser traveled streets. I make it a point to remember the charities and NEVER donate to them again, ever, even if they stop engaging in this sort of activity. Once you make my shit list, you ain't coming off. :mad:

I haven't run into any aggressive ones yet though. I'm not sure exactly how I'd react. My patience with people has worn really thin over the years and I don't like people bugging me or invading my space.

This is why cycling beats walking. No beggars or charities bother you when you're biking.

The SickKids fundraisers are annoying simply because they're on every corner. The persons themselves are always fairly friendly, and a simply 'No thanks', 'Not today', is greeted by an 'Okay, thanks anyways. Maybe next time!'.

I see people attempt to cross the street to avoid them, but alas, they're on both sides! It's okay people, you can just tell them no, it won't hurt their feelings. As for the very, very aggressive fundraisers, I've yet to encounter them, and I work at Queen and Spadina. Maybe I don't look like I have a lot of money.

This is why cycling beats walking. No beggars or charities bother you when you're biking.

Except being potentially walloped by a car or truck outweighs the irrititation factor of being solicitated for money. Besides I live so close to work that cycling is pointless.

I don't mind stopping for a charity, but don't manipulate, scam, or harrass me -- I have no tolerance for that kind of disrespect and rudeness.
I wonder if you can pepper spray them if they are being harrassing?
Half joking. These people are evil (especially the one pushing a religious groups).

Now that I've moved back to the city I'm stunned by how many street canvassers there are now compared to even a few years ago. I work at King and Spadina and during lunch I take a stroll and can usually see two or three teams within a four minute radius of my office. I am interested in how these companies scout locations. They seem to cluster around stereotypical yuppy, upper-middle class locales like the Big Carrot, Mountain Equipment Co-op or arts venues like Roy Thomson Hall.

Back