News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 885     0 

Streaming consolidator needed?

I pay for YT. It's well worth it for the kind of content available and it is useful for downloading podcasts/long form content and listening while driving, walking, doing chores. Also comes with music streaming. I share a family plan with my parents.

I pay for YT. It's well worth it for the kind of content available and it is useful for downloading podcasts/long form content and listening while driving, walking, doing chores. Also comes with music streaming. I share a family plan with my parents.
Isn’t sharing the new stealing?

YouTube ad blockers still work. Just update yours.
I did update and it works still, though I feel this was more of an experiment to see what would happen, and I'm quite sure the folks at Google know how to torch all of the adblockers any time if they really wanted to.

I did see this article that the limited adblocking attempt apparently caused huge swaths of people to uninstall them, which may satiate them for now.

I just want to confirm that my understanding is correct. I plan on subscribing to YouTube Music to remove the ads on music, but I think that subscription will only cover music, not videos. However, if I subscribe to YouTube Premium, that will also remove ads on videos and music?

I just want to confirm that my understanding is correct. I plan on subscribing to YouTube Music to remove the ads on music, but I think that subscription will only cover music, not videos. However, if I subscribe to YouTube Premium, that will also remove ads on videos and music?
Yes.

I'm quite sure the folks at Google know how to torch all of the adblockers any time if they really wanted to.
IMO, those who create the Adblock apps either work at Google or used to. It’s like computer viruses, I always figured the guys making the viruses had day jobs at McAfee or Norton.

I haven't had cable in 16 years and I'm not subscribing again even though it's $0 at Manulife. I have Prime, Apple+, Crave and Disney but we rarely watch more than an hour of TV a day.
I’ve today canceled Prime, and bought an annual sub to Britbox for $79. Well worth it, the Brits have such better TV.

I’ve today canceled Prime, and bought an annual sub to Britbox for $79. Well worth it, the Brits have such better TV.
Based on my own experience and that of friends, you will be cancelling BritBox after your year is up and the 'distant fields' of other services will then seem greener. The Brits certainly used to have lots of great TV but, in my opinion, not nearly so much now.

I’m still using Britbox over a year in. Just watched the latest season of Shetland and looking forward to Unforgotten

I’m still using Britbox over a year in. Just watched the latest season of Shetland and looking forward to Unforgotten
In the middle of season 7 of Shetland. Apparently if accurately portrayed, at nearly 70 homicides per 100,000 people, Shetland would be the 11th most dangerous place on earth.

We could have a Canadian version, CSI Charlottetown. A local spud farmer is found buried under a pile of manure. Chief suspect is the neighbour‘s Dad, leading RCMP Constable Macdonald asking the neighbour, “Who's your fadder?”

Last edited:
The Brits certainly used to have lots of great TV but, in my opinion, not nearly so much now.
It’s the old stuff I like most. In the days before political correctness, British tv was cracking good. When I watch On the Buses, Are You Being Served or Keeping Up Appearances I am transported to my youth in 1970s London and as a newly arrived Brit in late 1970s Mississauga.

In the middle of season 7 of Shetland. Apparently if accurately portrayed, at nearly 70 homicides per 100,000 people, Shetland would be the 11th most dangerous place on earth.

Same with Midsomer Murders, which recently launched yet another season. They even made a joke about it in one episode.

If you like these, try Karen Pirie, Traces, Annika, etc. I have a soft spot for British crime shows.

Back